2023 Chris Johnson Jr

Advertisement
Anthony Schwartz was mediocre at best in college. Amir Rasual was trash, Demps was ok.
Schwartz was drafted in the 3rd round so not bad for a mediocre guy. Lol. That Auburn offense was trash and most scouts knew it.

I didnt say offer and sign every 100M and 200M track athlete from SoFla that plays football. I specifically used the word "radar". I am not sure we should even bring on CJ Jr yet. I want to see how he does this season. But we need to keep an eye on him.

Schwartz was drafted in the 3rd round so not bad for a mediocre guy. Lol. That Auburn offense was trash and most scouts knew it.

I didnt say offer and sign every 100M and 200M track athlete from SoFla that plays football. I specifically used the word "radar". I am not sure we should even bring on CJ Jr yet. I want to see how he does this season. But we need to keep an eye on him.
Agree with Radar. I'm trying to rack my brain of a sub 10.5 kid that actually worked out the last 10 or so years. Pretty sure Pope was a 10.5 kid. Leary is sub 10.5 and Saban just went bought every top WR on the market to put ahead of him. He's still got time i guess. Were Lamar Jackson or Tutu that fast? Benjamin or Dorsett?

I think I said it earlier in the thread..if the 100M and 200M champ in the state of Florida is from South Florida and even sniffs the football field on his HS team he needs to be on our radar every time, all the time. We can never have another Anthony Schwartz situation happen again.

Glad Mario is on this kid. His offer might not be commitable yet (assuming here because of his personal workout with Kevin Smith) but we are showing the kid that we see him.
The thing about Schwartz is HE NEVER was coming here regardless. He was a Gator fan much of his life and basically going there.He wanted to run track in college...our track teams are subpar. Mike Rumph coached Schwwartz since he was 9 im sure he knew to
But im in agreement if we have a track kid that also excels in football....offer.

Agree with Radar. I'm trying to rack my brain of a sub 10.5 kid that actually worked out the last 10 or so years. Pretty sure Pope was a 10.5 kid. Leary is sub 10.5 and Saban just went bought every top WR on the market to put ahead of him. He's still got time i guess. Were Lamar Jackson or Tutu that fast? Benjamin or Dorsett?
There are alot of track experts on here and I am definitely not one of them. And god knows track lovers will trap you in a foxhole so I dont know if we want to go down that road either. LOL. Im just saying..there shouldnt be a time where another team jumps on a football player with elite and legit track speed in our backyard before we do. Hopefully those days are over.

Advertisement
Benjamin and Dorsett were that fast.

Lamar Jackson never ran sub 11. Tu Tu pr is 10.8

This isn't being said for Chris, but moreso RB's in general ...

Speed is great for hitting home runs, but a RB needs vision and good feet before speed.

RB's generally aren't running full speed until they get into the open field. In order to get into the open field you need vision and the ability to navigate through traffic in the tackle box. (which is where feet and wiggle come into play)

The hardest RB's to defend are the ones who can make you miss in a phone booth. Gore had a ton of long runs in his career and he was never a speedster. Duke was the same way.

A RB doesn't need 4.3-4.4 speed to hit home runs. I would bet that the majority of elite RB's we've seen over the years are somewhere within the 4.5 range.

Most running plays take place within the tackle box. Close quarters. Things happen very fast. If you can't make people miss in tight spaces, you're not gonna be very successful IMO.

This is what made Hankerson at STA so tough to defend. You could have every gap covered, have him bottled up, and he would make your LB whiff at the LOS and get positive yards.
wisdom right here.

Speed is great for hitting home runs, but a RB needs vision and good feet before speed.

RB's generally aren't running full speed until they get into the open field. In order to get into the open field you need vision and the ability to navigate through traffic in the tackle box. (which is where feet and wiggle come into play)

The hardest RB's to defend are the ones who can make you miss in a phone booth. Gore had a ton of long runs in his career and he was never a speedster. Duke was the same way.

A RB doesn't need 4.3-4.4 speed to hit home runs. I would bet that the majority of elite RB's we've seen over the years are somewhere within the 4.5 range.

Most running plays take place within the tackle box. Close quarters. Things happen very fast. If you can't make people miss in tight spaces, you're not gonna be very successful IMO.

This is what made Hankerson at STA so tough to defend. You could have every gap covered, have him bottled up, and he would make your LB whiff at the LOS and get positive yards.
So are you saying that Johnson is more of a “I’m faster than you” guy then somebody who has the skills to be an RB? Or are they there but it needs a bit of development? Smith played a decade in the league and was a 1,000 yard rusher himself, I’m sure he knows what he’s looking at and knows what it takes. I also think this kid has a ton of Pierre Strong. Just my opinion.

Advertisement

i haven't seen a RB with the vision that Edge had to this day. He was so smart and smooth with tempo and his feet. Great screen runner too.

Advertisement
Advertisement
i haven't seen a RB with the vision that Edge had to this day. He was so smart and smooth with tempo and his feet. Great screen runner too.
He had crazy lateral movement for how big he was. Quick feet. He’s always make the first man miss with that side step.
Gore and Portis had great vision too. Seemed they always found day light coming out that back field.

I beg to differ on Gore pre-injury.....

If he's dead set on playing RB he's gonna end up like Lingard, a speedy RB with no wiggle
I had an excellent discussion about this a while ago, and anyone if this is BS call it out or if you heard similar let me know, but it really had little to do with Lingards wiggle.

Lingard was spoiled by his HS so that messed up his mindset.

Secondarily, they ran absolutely basic offense, essentially running nothing but 3-4 plays so he never developed vision or the discipline to learn plays or the position.

So when you are spoiled and don’t know the position your going to be a bad student since you probably think you know it all but know almost Jack ****.

Advertisement
Back