Chip Kelly Nailed it

Advertisement
Could be. But chip ain’t the first or last FBS Head coach trying to get out. The game is broken. Get ready for a rather large mass exodus.
I wouldn't call a large mass exodus, the coaching jobs in the NFL are a certain number (not many) and it is not that big names in college never went to the NFL before. We, as Miami fans, should know better about this.

I think that all the situations are subjective, for example Chip Kelly is on the hot seat at UCLA and he lobbied for a lot of openings lately (the Iowa OC job is one which last time I checked is not an NFL job). Jeff Hafley also was stumbling at Boston College and he is an NFL guy who came to college, he was always destined to go back there, same as Liam Coen.

Do I think that CFB needs to change a lot of crucial things? Yes, I do of course, but this is not the MAIN reason those coaches are bolting to the NFL.

If Kelly or Hafley got things rolling at the respective places they wouldn't want to leave for coordinators jobs in the pros.

I wouldn't call a large mass exodus, the coaching jobs in the NFL are a certain number (not many) and it is not that big names in college never went to the NFL before. We, as Miami fans, should know better about this.

I think that all the situations are subjective, for example Chip Kelly is on the hot seat at UCLA and he lobbied for a lot of openings lately (the Iowa OC job is one which last time I checked is not an NFL job). Jeff Hafley also was stumbling at Boston College and he is an NFL guy who came to college, he was always destined to go back there, same as Liam Coen.

Do I think that CFB needs to change a lot of crucial things? Yes, I do of course, but this is not the MAIN reason those coaches are bolting to the NFL.

If Kelly or Hafley got things rolling at the respective places they wouldn't want to leave for coordinators jobs in the pros.

It will all be personal preference, of course, but overall I disagree with your post because IMO you’re not putting enough stock into the landscape and acknowledging that it is definitely changed from years past. IMO we will see some big name coaches leave the sport one way or the other that simply would not have happened a couple years ago.

5-10 years ago, college coaches had the cushy jobs and the NFL was a constant grind. That has completely flipped now. And I think you’ll see a lot more Saban type moves going forward.

It will all be personal preference, of course, but overall I disagree with your post because IMO you’re not putting enough stock into the landscape and acknowledging that it is definitely changed from years past. IMO we will see some big name coaches leave the sport one way or the other that simply would not have happened a couple years ago.

5-10 years ago, college coaches had the cushy jobs and the NFL was a constant grind. That has completely flipped now. And I think you’ll see a lot more Saban type moves going forward.
This is true, but I will wait for a shocking move before panicking. Saban is 72 years old btw.

If Kirby Smart retires tomorrow or Dan Lanning takes the DC job for the Panthers you will be right.

So far, not one movement (done or rumored) is shocking to me.

The only way around this is having a separate governing body. If you aren’t NCAA affiliated it could change that. But legally speaking they still may have some recourse bc it would still be affiliated with the school? Does a new governing body negate Title 9? Lawyers help me out with this one.
Nope

Advertisement
You can actually have a life outside of the NFL, not in College.
The irony of this is that I remember ~20 years ago when Spurrier went to the NFL and everyone told him he was in for a rude awakening, that he wouldnt get by in the in the NFL with the same amount of work that he was putting in in college. Now I know they were talking about game prep, but the knock on Spurrier was that he loved to go golfing too much. Now it is the opposite, you have much more free time as a coach in the NFL than a major college.

Turn scholarships into contracts and turn student-athletes into employees. One of their employment benefits is free education, medical insurance, room, and board, training table, etc. Salary based on performance and the economy. Collective bargaining. Yes. this might require using this model for all scholarship sports, but so be it. I don’t know if you have to pay a college football player the same as a women’s volleyball player. Employees in one department make more money than employees in another department.

College athletes are professional athletes, despite what anyone says.
You would have to pay similar base salaries for women by law and I say so be it. Pay the ladies too. Why not? Tax payers invested into this thing, the players & programs shouldnt just walk away with the money the public invested.

Good. CFB doesn't need these sacred cows who got fat on nepotism and exploiting amateurism.

They can excuse themselves to make room for hungry new coaches.

Advertisement
You would have to pay similar base salaries for women by law and I say so be it. Pay the ladies too. Why not? Tax payers invested into this thing, the players & programs shouldnt just walk away with the money the public invested.
I don’t have any argument against paying all college athletes, male and female. I don’t know if a female volleyball player would legally be required to have the same salary as a college football player. Two different jobs, one in a high revenue sport/business, one in a low revenue sport/business.

Unlikely to happen, it’s just a thought exercise.

Advertisement
Awwww...

The poor baby College coaches don't have autonomous control over their players anymore.

So sad...

Everybody loves Free market capitalism until people they don't want making money start making money.
Coaches can recruit a kid like the coach will be his actual coach and a week later leave for a better financial opportunity, knowing he was leaving when he recruited the kid, which to me is dishonest - but tough **** - kid has to stay or use a transfer. And God forbid the kid gets a better financial opportunity elsewhere, he’s not a team guy and whatever else they say but for the coaches, it’s just business when they do it.

I don’t have any argument against paying all college athletes, male and female. I don’t know if a female volleyball player would legally be required to have the same salary as a college football player. Two different jobs, one in a high revenue sport/business, one in a low revenue sport/business.

Unlikely to happen, it’s just a thought exercise.
Title 9 will likely dictate equal salaries for like employment status. And tax payers have a point to enforce it. College football has been very successful and the public can easily say their tax payer money is a big reason why. If they allowed college football players to be paid a better salary now, that'd almost be like cutting and running on the tax payers. I just don't see a reasonable legal path on it, but I am not a lawyer.

You can actually have a life outside of the NFL, not in College.
Well, that depends on when...those mad scientists don't have much of a life outside of the NFL. But they get a break at the end of the season before they need to get involved in the draft/fa process and after for a little, at least.

Advertisement

No you wouldn’t have to pay female athletes the same as male athletes they will different classifications.

Football and Basketball will break off and each sport will have their own unions. The players will get a percentage of the profits. Just like the NFL and NBA.

All other sports will still be “student athletes”.

Well, that depends on when...those mad scientists don't have much of a life outside of the NFL. But they get a break at the end of the season before they need to get involved in the draft/fa process and after for a little, at least.
Should have said offseason.

No you wouldn’t have to pay female athletes the same as male athletes they will different classifications.

Football and Basketball will break off and each sport will have their own unions. The players will get a percentage of the profits. Just like the NFL and NBA.

All other sports will still be “student athletes”.
They would have a massive lawsuit that, in my opinion, they would lose.

Advertisement
Back