Confirmed Charlie Strong: DONE - LB coach & Co-DC

aubrey graham drake GIF by Complex

Advertisement
Really the only negative, and it’s a small one comparatively, is that Gattis, Addae, strong, and maybe even Steele will be gone next year.

Happens to bama all the time so shouldn’t be a problem as long as Mario can keep making excellent hires
I don't see all of them leaving after 1 year. In fact, I'd be surprised if any of them left after 1 year. Gaddis maybe leaves if he gets a P5 HC offer. I don't see him leaving for a G5 gig. Maybe he would.

I don't know if Strong wants to be a HC again. He could wind up as our DC one day so I don't see him leaving to be a DC elsewhere. He's not going to get a HC offer being the LB coach. Don't see him leaving in a year and he may be comfortable living in Miami until he retires.

Why would Addae leave? I expect he left UGA to come back home to South Florida. I could only see him leaving if he has DC aspirations like TRob. I don't see that happening after 1 year at UM.

Last edited:
I don't see all of them leaving after 1 year. In fact, I'd be surprised if any of them left after 1 year. Gaddis maybe leaves if he gets a P5 HC offer. I don't see him leaving for a G5 gig. Maybe he would.

I don't know if Strong wants to be a HC again. He could wind up as our DC one day so I don't see him leaving to be a DC elsewhere. He's not going to get a HC offer being the LB coach. Don'tsee him leaving in a year and he may be comfortable living in Miami until he retires.

Why would Addae leave? I expect he left UGA to come back home to South Florida. I could only see him leaving if he has DC aspirations like TRob. I don't see that happening after 1 year at UM.
I think it's clear Mario has a built in succession plan going here. Strong would get the job if Steele leaves (being older can't think of anywhere he'd do this except Auburn maybe). Addae I think is still a few years off of getting a DC job.

On offense, as much as people don't want to hear this, I think Ponce gets a look when Gattis moves on. Don't think the transition is as guaranteed as for DC (e.g., if a big name becomes available that's a clear upgrade over promoting Ponce).

I think it's clear Mario has a built in succession plan going here. Strong would get the job if Steele leaves (being older can't think of anywhere he'd do this except Auburn maybe). Addae I think is still a few years off of getting a DC job.

On offense, as much as people don't want to hear this, I think Ponce gets a look when Gattis moves on. Don't think the transition is as guaranteed as for DC (e.g., if a big name becomes available that's a clear upgrade over promoting Ponce).
I agree with the succession plan. It's very astute. This way you can keep hiring guys to position groups that could become the next OC/DC. This way the offense and defense keeps rolling with minimal changes to scheme and the players would be very comfortable as their position coach becomes the coordinator.

Counter point: he is modeling how he builds his coaching staff after saban. Get every best possible assistant you can get for this year with this team. If guys leave, you go out and try and find even better replacements (that’s a nice thing about having a committed administration) . Saban didn’t promote from within a ton for his coordinators as of late.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Think that video leak could be enough to get him to chuck the dueces at UT? Or maybe how frustrated his is with the players and the culture there? He seemed like a dude that was tired of the BS.

It’s his second stint at UT so I doubt it. He loves that place and has some legit talent coming in so he probably wants to see it through. Also can’t imagine him leaving to just coach DEs. He’d be worth the call though, and has worked alongside coach Cristobal previously.

It’s his second stint at UT so I doubt it. He loves that place and has some legit talent coming in so he probably wants to see it through. Also can’t imagine him leaving to just coach DEs. He’d be worth the call though, and has worked alongside coach Cristobal previously.
And Steele

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back