Confirmed Charlie Strong: DONE - LB coach & Co-DC

what has he done as an LB coach? It looks like the majority of his position coaching career was with the DL. Like I said, I really don't know anything about him as an LB coach. I am just asking since I am sure there are people that know way more about him.
He has done a lot actually but first off you are correct that he has worked with the DL quite a bit as well. Strong has basically worked with every facet of the front seven as a position coach. From 1988-1989 Strong was LB coach for the Florida Gators undebr defensive coordinator Gary Darnell who himself was a LB coach at OK ST, SMU and North Carolina. Darnell would go on to become the DC for Notre Dame under Lou Holtz from 1990-1991.

For 5 seasons from 2005-2009 Strong served as Associate Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers coach under Urban Meyer at Florida. Most recently, Strong was Associate Head Coach and inside linebackers coach under Urban Meyer with the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL.

Other stops include being the DC at South Carolina from 1999-2002 and the DC and Defensive Ends coach at Florida from 2003-2004 under Ron Zook. Strong was the Defensive Line coach at Notre Dame from 1995-1998 under both Lou Holtz and Bob Davie.

I would have to do further research to determine just how well his LB units played under him at each stop. What I can infer by the number of times that Strong was offered an Associate Head Coach position in addition to his coordinator and position coach duties is that he seems to have been well respected and held in high esteem by his peers and his superiors.

Advertisement
He has done a lot actually but first off you are correct that he has worked with the DL quite a bit as well. Strong has basically worked with every facet of the front seven as a position coach. From 1988-1989 Strong was LB coach for the Florida Gators undebr defensive coordinator Gary Darnell who himself was a LB coach at OK ST, SMU and North Carolina. Darnell would go on to become the DC for Notre Dame under Lou Holtz from 1990-1991.

For 5 seasons from 2005-2009 Strong served as Associate Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers coach under Urban Meyer at Florida. Most recently, Strong was Associate Head Coach and inside linebackers coach under Urban Meyer with the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL.

Other stops include being the DC at South Carolina from 1999-2002 and the DC and Defensive Ends coach at Florida from 2003-2004 under Ron Zook. Strong was the Defensive Line coach at Notre Dame from 1995-1998 under both Lou Holtz and Bob Davie.

I would have to do further research to determine just how well his LB units played under him at each stop. What I can infer by the number of times that Strong was offered an Associate Head Coach position in addition to his coordinator and position coach duties is that he seems to have been well respected and held in high esteem by his peers and his superiors.

The only coach to offer him an associate HC position in addition to being an LB coach is Urban. So its not like numerous coaches were giving him the associate title to get him to be their LB coach.

You can be a great DC or even HC without being a good position coach.

Advertisement
Super Mario is the anti-Miaz. Manolo would not hire other alphas because of his insecurities. Mario is the total opposite. He knows he’s the king alpha at all times, and acts like it.

If Gattis designs an offense to fit our roster’s strengths on O, we’re gonna be a problem for a lot of teams this year.

I think that Little Nicky, Jimbob and Kirby Shart ****ed Mario off, and El Cubiche is out for blood. If we can play up to our potential this season, along with our new NIL game being what it is, Mario’s gonna bring a legendary class in for the 2023 cycle.

Mario to the rest of CFB and E$ECN…

sunglasses deal with it GIF by BBQ Films

The only coach to offer him an associate HC position in addition to being an LB coach is Urban. So its not like numerous coaches were giving him the associate title to get him to be their LB coach.

You can be a great DC or even HC without being a good position coach
What does it matter that he was only associate HC in addition to lb coach under Meyer? Why is that so important? He was associate hc and dt coach under Spurrier. What is the point of this entire exercise anyway? We just made a an excellent hire. Enjoy it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Strong is a **** good hire. He brings attention to detail and discipline, also a solid recruiter. You have a guy that wasn't a bad DC either, so it gives Steele an extra experienced person to bounce things off of. I've said it once on this board and I'll say it again: Charlie screwed himself by taking the Texas job, because he felt he HAD to. I look at his career, and it's obvious the dude can do a ton, and was a solid HC at one point. Hopefully he can rebuild his career at Miami and eventually move back into the top spot at a P5 school.

Advertisement
Back