Confirmed Charlie Strong: DONE - LB coach & Co-DC

Advertisement
Thank you. Both of those guys were top kids coming out of HS though. Did strong take a lot of diamond in the ruff guys and turn them to elite kids? Did he recruit a bunch of 5 star LBs and got them to the NFL?

I honestly am just asking, because in this thread it seems like everyone is just talking about how great it is we have a multi HC and DC as our LB coach. But that doesn't necessarily make them a good LB coach.

Manny diaz is a multi team DC,multi team HC. But I would not want him anywhere near my LBs.

Advertisement
Thank you. Both of those guys were top kids coming out of HS though. Did strong take a lot of diamond in the ruff guys and turn them to elite kids? Did he recruit a bunch of 5 star LBs and got them to the NFL?

I honestly am just asking, because in this thread it seems like everyone is just talking about how great it is we have a multi HC and DC as our LB coach. But that doesn't necessarily make them a good LB coach.

Manny diaz is a multi team DC,multi team HC. But I would not want him anywhere near my LBs.
He's only been at P5 schools for over 30 years, most of which are at Florida, so not a lot of opportunities for "diamond in the rough" types because they recruit well. Based on where he's coached, and who he's coached under, I'm satisfied with his ability to maximize what he has until we acquire better guys (which he's also good at). To make it simpler; he knows a thing or 2, about a thing or 2, about playing linebacker.

He's only been at P5 schools for over 30 years, most of which are at Florida, so not a lot of opportunities for "diamond in the rough" types because they recruit well. Based on where he's coached, and who he's coached under, I'm satisfied with his ability to maximize what he has until we acquire better guys (which he's also good at). To make it simpler; he knows a thing or 2, about a thing or 2 about playing linebacker.
Great. That is what I was hoping to hear. Thank you.

bane-gif-16.gif

We are going to wreck sh*t in College Football real soon!!!
E7C43572-FE0E-4D98-B1D6-D515991518A2.gif

Advertisement

Let me ease ur mind bro;

1. Diaz ain’t never been multi team HC, unless u consider his 3 min stay at Temple. Lol.

2. Diaz’s resume doesn’t come close to Strong’s in anyway.

This ain’t a Diaz situation; he failed as a UT HC, but his credentials r solid as a positional coach, analyst, coordinator, or recruiter on D.

Are you really comparing Charlie Strong as a LB coach to Diaz and Patke? Strong specializes in LBs and has been a very successful DC in addition to having significant HC experience. I wouldnt want Strong as my HC and tbh he would have been way down on my list for DC but as LB coach with his resume his experience and his recruiting prowess, the guy is a grand slam as a LB coach. Not only that but he answers to Kevin Steele who also specializes is LBs so there is your fail safe. Not that we needed it but there it is.

Let me ease ur mind bro;

1. Diaz ain’t never been multi team HC, unless u consider his 3 min stay at Temple. Lol.

2. Diaz’s resume doesn’t come close to Strong’s in anyway.

This ain’t a Diaz situation; he failed as a UT HC, but his credentials r solid as a positional coach, analyst, coordinator, or recruiter on D.
1. I was considering that lmao.

2. for sure agree with that.

I just wanted to know if he was a good LB coach. You can be a great DC coach or even HC and not necessarily be a good LB coach. Every comment I see is "home run getting a ex HC to be a LB coach". I haven't seen anyone say "Strong developed so and so into a great player" or anything along those lines. That was just what had me worried.

Advertisement
Are you really comparing Charlie Strong as a LB coach to Diaz and Patke? Strong specializes in LBs and has been a very successful DC in addition to having significant HC experience. I wouldnt want Strong as my HC and tbh he would have been way down on my list for DC but as LB coach with his resume his experience and his recruiting prowess, the guy is a grand slam as a LB coach. Not only that but he answers to Kevin Steele who also specializes is LBs so there is your fail safe. Not that we needed it but there it is.
what has he done as an LB coach? It looks like the majority of his position coaching career was with the DL. Like I said, I really don't know anything about him as an LB coach. I am just asking since I am sure there are people that know way more about him.

1. I was considering that lmao.

2. for sure agree with that.

I just wanted to know if he was a good LB coach. You can be a great DC coach or even HC and not necessarily be a good LB coach. Every comment I see is "home run getting a ex HC to be a LB coach". I haven't seen anyone say "Strong developed so and so into a great player" or anything along those lines. That was just what had me worried.

Will have to look into that; but my understanding while at UL, he was pretty hands on w/ the def, too.

Will have to look into that; but my understanding while at UL, he was pretty hands on w/ the def, too.
Appreciate it. I am not taking a stand one way or another on this one. For all I know he is the next Jeff Ulbrich. I just was hoping to hear some respected posters on here say "he was a great LB coach on the Jags" or something like that. As opposed to "its grand slam because we got an Ex HC to take a lower position".

Advertisement
Ha! Quick story. I remember when I was around 14 or so, I’d buy and drink zimas…since I was about 6”2 at that age, I never got carded. My mom eventually caught on to my **** when she kept finding the empty bottles in my room and she freaked. When she told my pops, he said “oh, baby- Zima?!? Lol. that **** ain’t nuthin’ but a “souped up sprite”…leave the boy B”. He winked at me…and I became a man that day….well…sort of, lol🤷🏾‍♂️

Advertisement
Back