Chaney Commits

Advertisement
So I guess Belen is one of the big Catholic schools in Dade. Since we've recruited so few from there I guess I don't know much about it. I left South Florida in '63 I don't think Belen existed. The well-known Catholic schools were Columbus and Curley, the latter now closed. Where is it?

EDIT: Read the history. It reopened in 1961 in Miami after being shut down in Cuba by Castro. I never heard of it before I moved away in '63. Interesting that one Catholic school has grown so much while Curley declined and had to merge, essentially disappearing iniami.
In 1961, Belen operated out of basically a warehouse in Little Havana. Now after many decades of leadership, fundraising, and efforts from its staff, teachers and alumni, it's facilities are significantly improved. The campus is located off of 127th avenue SW 5th street just west of FIU.

Edit: The school moved to its current facilities in 1981.

But make no mistake. Cheney is likely the best football recruit to ever come out of Belen.

AMDG '06

Last edited:
In 1961, Belen operated out of basically a warehouse in Little Havana. Now after many decades of leadership, fundraising, and efforts from its staff, teachers and alumni, it's facilities are significantly improved. The campus is located off of 127th avenue SW 5th street just west of FIU.

Edit: The school moved to its current facilities in 1981.

But make no mistake. Cheney is likely the best football recruit to ever come out of Belen.

AMDG '06

AMDG '13

Kid has been a program changer for Belen and will be one for the Canes.

It really makes me so fvckin' happy that this kid reps Miami so hard and has never even entertained the idea of transferring from Belen. Class act through and through.

Verified 4.40 :2h3mpi1:

From 247 article hyping up his play.

The modern running back needs to do more than just carry the ball out of the backfield, 2020 five-star Don Chaney is a modern running back.

The Miami commit is at The Opening Finals in Frisco, Tex. where he's going up against some of the top high school talent in the country. Chaney isn't just holding his own there. He's making some defenders look foolish. During one of the drills, Chaney caught a swing pass out of the flat. That catch alone was impressive because the ball had a little more heat on it than in needed. Once he hauled the pass in, Chaney broke out a couple of jukes that sent two defenders flailing as he ran by them and into the end zone for a touchdown.

With moves like those, Chaney will be hard to touch at the college level. With his verified time of 4.40 seconds in the 40-yard dash, defenders won't come close to touching him once he sidesteps them and accelerates upfield. 247Sports recruiting analyst John Garcia Jr. compared Chaney to the Colts' elusive Marlon Mack in his evaluation of the Hurricane pledge.

Verified 4.40 :2h3mpi1:

From 247 article hyping up his play.

The modern running back needs to do more than just carry the ball out of the backfield, 2020 five-star Don Chaney is a modern running back.

The Miami commit is at The Opening Finals in Frisco, Tex. where he's going up against some of the top high school talent in the country. Chaney isn't just holding his own there. He's making some defenders look foolish. During one of the drills, Chaney caught a swing pass out of the flat. That catch alone was impressive because the ball had a little more heat on it than in needed. Once he hauled the pass in, Chaney broke out a couple of jukes that sent two defenders flailing as he ran by them and into the end zone for a touchdown.

With moves like those, Chaney will be hard to touch at the college level. With his verified time of 4.40 seconds in the 40-yard dash, defenders won't come close to touching him once he sidesteps them and accelerates upfield. 247Sports recruiting analyst John Garcia Jr. compared Chaney to the Colts' elusive Marlon Mack in his evaluation of the Hurricane pledge.
Don't be surprised to see him jump even higher in the rankings with that 40, his size, and him showing out at the opening

Advertisement
If he stays healthy, this kid will leave here a legend:

Me after our RB looks like Alvin Kamara:

Donald Chaney Jr. always figured the call from his father was coming. It was early November, and the top-ranked running back in Miami-Dade County figured there was something amiss with the top-ranked running back in Broward County.
The Miami Hurricanes never gave up on trying to pry Jaylan Knighton from the Florida State Seminoles, so Chaney wasn’t surprised when the four-star all-purpose back decommitted from Florida State last month.

“My dad called me and he’s like, ‘Jaylan just decommitted,’ ” Chaney said Tuesday in Miami. “I was like, I knew it! Let’s go!”
TOP ARTICLES

Less than a month later, Knighton orally committed to give the Hurricanes arguably best running backs tandem in the 2020 recruiting cycle. Chaney is the No. 35 overall player in the 247Sports.com composite rankings for the Class of 2020. Knighton is the No. 4 player regardless of position. They’re both All-Americans and two of the most prolific running backs in South Florida’s recent history, and both plan to sign their national letters of intent with Miami on Wednesday, then join the Hurricanes next month.

Chaney holds every rushing record at Miami Belen Jesuit. Knighton has every rushing record at Deerfield Beach. The plan, Chaney said, is for them to set the tone for everyone in Coral Gables by elevating the level of competition.
“I can’t wait because it’s going to be a lot of competition. It’s going to make everyone better,” Chaney said. “They see me and Rooster competing, everybody’s going to want to compete. Once I see somebody going hard, I’m like, OK, let me go harder, so it’s something that will translate to the entire team. “

Both will be part of a massive official visit weekend for Miami beginning Thursday. The Hurricanes expect to have nearly every committed member of their 2020 class on campus to lead into the early signing period, which begins Wednesday.
Chaney has been outspoken in the strength of his commitment virtually since the moment he pledged in February. Knighton has been the same way since he committed on Thanksgiving and even after new Seminoles coach Mike Norvell made an in-home visit with him Tuesday, Knighton is a long shot to flip back to Florida State.
The impending official visit weekend is the chance for Miami to finalize a bounceback recruiting class, which currently ranks in the top 15 after the Class of 2019 finished outside the top 25.

“Our entire class is like stoked for this,” Chaney said. “We’re ready to go out and compete in January.”

Advertisement
Donald Chaney Jr. always figured the call from his father was coming. It was early November, and the top-ranked running back in Miami-Dade County figured there was something amiss with the top-ranked running back in Broward County.
The Miami Hurricanes never gave up on trying to pry Jaylan Knighton from the Florida State Seminoles, so Chaney wasn’t surprised when the four-star all-purpose back decommitted from Florida State last month.

“My dad called me and he’s like, ‘Jaylan just decommitted,’ ” Chaney said Tuesday in Miami. “I was like, I knew it! Let’s go!”
TOP ARTICLES

Less than a month later, Knighton orally committed to give the Hurricanes arguably best running backs tandem in the 2020 recruiting cycle. Chaney is the No. 35 overall player in the 247Sports.com composite rankings for the Class of 2020. Knighton is the No. 4 player regardless of position. They’re both All-Americans and two of the most prolific running backs in South Florida’s recent history, and both plan to sign their national letters of intent with Miami on Wednesday, then join the Hurricanes next month.

Chaney holds every rushing record at Miami Belen Jesuit. Knighton has every rushing record at Deerfield Beach. The plan, Chaney said, is for them to set the tone for everyone in Coral Gables by elevating the level of competition.
“I can’t wait because it’s going to be a lot of competition. It’s going to make everyone better,” Chaney said. “They see me and Rooster competing, everybody’s going to want to compete. Once I see somebody going hard, I’m like, OK, let me go harder, so it’s something that will translate to the entire team. “

Both will be part of a massive official visit weekend for Miami beginning Thursday. The Hurricanes expect to have nearly every committed member of their 2020 class on campus to lead into the early signing period, which begins Wednesday.
Chaney has been outspoken in the strength of his commitment virtually since the moment he pledged in February. Knighton has been the same way since he committed on Thanksgiving and even after new Seminoles coach Mike Norvell made an in-home visit with him Tuesday, Knighton is a long shot to flip back to Florida State.
The impending official visit weekend is the chance for Miami to finalize a bounceback recruiting class, which currently ranks in the top 15 after the Class of 2019 finished outside the top 25.

“Our entire class is like stoked for this,” Chaney said. “We’re ready to go out and compete in January.”
That mindset need to spread throughout the whole team man. Love it

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back