Championship Game Saturday- Would You Take?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
The Gaytas pull the upset today BUT the SEC gets shut out of the Playoff and both Bama and UiF go on to lose their bowl games badly.

I'm hesitant to EVER consider the big picture benefits of any immediate Gayta success but this really would be the ultimate doomsday scenario for the mighty SEC. It'd also fast track us to an 8 team Playoff system (5 conf winners/3 at-large) as the NCAA/eSECpn/cbSEC would immediately scramble to make sure this never happened again to their most favorite conference.

That said....... Bama 35-UiF 7.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If UF had a offense they would have a chance, their defense is beast, but its a dumpster fire on offense i think they get blown out

The Gaytas pull the upset today BUT the SEC gets shut out of the Playoff and both Bama and UiF go on to lose their bowl games badly?

I'm hesitant to EVER consider the big picture benefits of any immediate Gayta success but this really would be the ultimate doomsday scenario for the mighty SEC. It'd also fast track us to an 8 team Playoff system (5 conf winners/3 at-large) as the NCAA/eSECpn/cbSEC would immediately scramble to make sure this never happened again to their most favorite conference.

That said....... Bama 35-UiF 7.

Great hypothetical.

A lot of what is sold to recruits is hope about the future....win lots of games, go to bowls, titles, the NFL, etc. So its a close game, let Florida win and ***** the $EC. But I woul prefer a complete blowout that humiliates the rocs.

UF upsets Bama and gets **** pushed in by UNC in bowl game.

Last edited:
If UF had a offense they would have a chance, their defense is beast, but its a dumpster fire on offense i think they get blown out

Agreed. Didn't Mceltoof once say something like he could win with a dog at QB in his offense? Yeahhh, about that.

Advertisement
Can't have the gators with that success for recruiting purposes. Besides SEC apologists would just claim the best team got left out of the playoff this year and ask for reform and an auto-bid for their champion.

Gators can only win if they cause a bunch of turnovers like Ole Miss did.

Very unlikely. But you never know.

Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2411867 said:
Bama will lose in the first round of the CFP anyway, they look very overrated right now.

Agreed. I'm just a big proponent of going to the 8 team format and I think that happens much much quicker the sooner the mighty SEC gets shut out one year.

[]_[] swag;2411867 said:
Bama will lose in the first round of the CFP anyway, they look very overrated right now.

Agreed. I'm just a big proponent of going to the 8 team format and I think that happens much much quicker the sooner the mighty SEC gets shut out one year.

With the way the television deal is structured the earliest an 8 team playoff can occur is the year 2026.

[]_[] swag;2411867 said:

With the way the television deal is structured the earliest an 8 team playoff can occur is the year 2026.

That's what is always said but Dennis Dodd addressed that here in a column from last May (Pressure mounts for College Football Playoff to expand to eight teams)

"Iron-clad contract:*We've been told all along there is no interest in expanding because the playoff*contract is the playoff contract. Twelve years, no look-in clause.

Trust me, there's always a look-in clause. Such language for adjusting a media rights deal is almost boilerplate. Such a look-in proposal was why some CFP bowls*balked at signing initial contracts.

A look-in allows for both sides to revisit the structure of a deal at some point. The CFP is currently worth $6 billion to $7 billion over the 12-year term of the deal.

An expanded bracket would be worth more. That's why there's always room to look in."

Advertisement
Advertisement
[]_[] swag;2411867 said:

That's what is always said but Dennis Dodd addressed that here in a column from last May (Pressure mounts for College Football Playoff to expand to eight teams)

"Iron-clad contract:*We've been told all along there is no interest in expanding because the playoff*contract is the playoff contract. Twelve years, no look-in clause.

Trust me, there's always a look-in clause. Such language for adjusting a media rights deal is almost boilerplate. Such a look-in proposal was why some CFP bowls*balked at signing initial contracts.

A look-in allows for both sides to revisit the structure of a deal at some point. The CFP is currently worth $6 billion to $7 billion over the 12-year term of the deal.

An expanded bracket would be worth more. That's why there's always room to look in."

It is possible.

But there are many variables including the Bowl committees themselves. Rose Bowl being the most stubborn of them all.

Money does talk though so who knows?

As much as I'd like to think the SEC would get shut out of the playoff with a Bama loss, I hope they embarrass Florida.

Pulling for Clemson. They helped get rid of Al early. Otherwise, Blake would still be evaluating everything. Plus, we should pull for our conference since if helps us with rankings later and Clemson has shot at DC. If it was Noles that would be different. It is getting as hard to root for them as the gators.

Advertisement
Back