Chad Thomas at SDE

I don't know anything about football

FIFY

LMAO at this idiot

hey NFC - when can we expect to see the mythical top 20 defense from this staff?

This year's defense will be pretty **** good

As for your complaints about Thomas, he has the frame to play end in a multiple front.

pretty **** good huh? what does that mean?

I say it will be pretty much the same **** we've seen for 3 years - i.e. ******

these clowns will ruin Thomas' career putting him in this garbage 3-4 scheme at end.

Proved my point, you have no idea what the defense is doing

Advertisement

LMAO at this idiot

hey NFC - when can we expect to see the mythical top 20 defense from this staff?

This year's defense will be pretty **** good

As for your complaints about Thomas, he has the frame to play end in a multiple front.

pretty **** good huh? what does that mean?

I say it will be pretty much the same **** we've seen for 3 years - i.e. ******

these clowns will ruin Thomas' career putting him in this garbage 3-4 scheme at end.

Proved my point, you have no idea what the defense is doing

right I proved your point. why dont you elaborate? you are clearly lost.

Can Chad be a dominant SDE is all you guys should care about. Can he have an impact at that position? Can he become an all American DE playing sde? Sacks are only one aspect of playing the position.

Pure comedy on this thread right now.

Chad is a SDE in any system. He has the frame and skill set to play in diverse roles. Just because he plays the same position as Chic, doesn't mean that he will play in all the same packages. By now, we should have learned that we are multiple up front. Seldom do we play in a classic 50 front; 2-gapping with two 4's and 0. Just re-watch a few games. Just because we have 3 guys with their hands in the dirt, doesn't mean that they're all two-gapping. Most of the time they're shaded or slanting. Sometimes, two over-shifted DT's are two-gapping (along with the two stacked inside backers). We mostly two-gap, like how people describe, against two-back personnel groupings.

I'm excited about Chad being able to play SDE in our system. That means he can be on field on 1st and 2nd down. We know he's a great pass rusher, so that means that he can play on 3rd down too. He's already in line to be an all down player for us. That's a good thing. Also, don't sleep on Chic as a mentor for this kid. I think we'll end up having a formidable rotation between those two dudes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Been on campus a week. May depth chart. Fans crying already.

Offseason or bad schtick? Either way get you head out of your *** and relax.

99 days til football. 99 problems, but Chad Thomas ain't one.

AI come on bro... weak link on this team is D and people wondering and berating the scheme and placement of this incoming talent isn't called for???? **** yes it is.

Instead of *****ing at everyone that is *****ing, why not add something to the discussion.

Where do you see Chad's best fit?

We will waste his talent at sde eating up blocks. Let him feast on qbs for Christ sake.

He can still feast on QB's at SDE

He would have to two gap the tackle. Then recognize the play is a pass. Then go from working the entire man, to half a man. Then use a pass rush technique. Then he can get the sack. This chain is forced by the scheme. It negates athleticism because of the transition from two gapping to pass rushing. A long and strong guy is more effective here. He is behind Kamalu in length and strength. He is behind Chickillo in strength. Then comes the learning the playbook angle too. If its the same as the old one from UVA he will have to take time to learn it.

He will get the chance to rush the passer in the 3rd and long formation. He will get to be fast and strong then, but thats shown to be a limited situation with our defense.

Or I'm wrong.

Nailed it and that is the huge concern...

He would have to two gap the tackle. Then recognize the play is a pass. Then go from working the entire man, to half a man. Then use a pass rush technique. Then he can get the sack. This chain is forced by the scheme. It negates athleticism because of the transition from two gapping to pass rushing. A long and strong guy is more effective here. He is behind Kamalu in length and strength. He is behind Chickillo in strength. Then comes the learning the playbook angle too. If its the same as the old one from UVA he will have to take time to learn it.

He will get the chance to rush the passer in the 3rd and long formation. He will get to be fast and strong then, but thats shown to be a limited situation with our defense.

Or I'm wrong.

Pretty much all of this!

Just because Chick two gaps majority of the time when hes in doesnt mean we cant change up what the dline is doing and let Chad play more single gap when he is playing. I dont know why people are freaking out when we really don't know how Chad is going to be used in our defense. Its a depth chart for god sake. No ones seen Chad play for us before so there is no way to actually know what the coaches are thinking. Why dont we stop jumping to conclusions and just wait until the season and Chad is actually on the field.

Unfortunately this staff hasn't shown a lot of creativity and flexibility on defense.

You say that, but our defense has looked different every single season since they got here, and why should this year be any different. As we get more talented players, the coaches will be able to do more things on defense. Chad is a unique player and I could definitely see the coaches doing some different things with him because of his unique skill set. I just dont understand why people are getting mad about it already when we really dont know what the coaches are planning.

Where have you been the last 3 years? Not watching our d I can tell you that. This is how I define our scheme and player placement. Square peg round hole.

Most on this board know the type of talent we have/had. Do we use their athleticism to our advantage or ask them to sit back and react vs attack. It has been the same crap the last 3 years and now you think they are going to change? smh

I laugh at how people just presume kids blindly sign with a school without considering their position, their role in the scheme, or how those factors will prepare them for the NFL. I'm pretty sure Chad was very comfortable with how the coaches described their intent to use him. And I'm equally certain the coaches were straightforward with him. Whether is works out remains to be seen. But dismissing his impact at SDE in this system based on the performance of those with markedly inferior skills is stupid. So, too, is the idea that he is somehow not a good fit for that position -- he appears to be a great fit based on his skill set and physical makeup. If the scheme is properly executed and coached (a BIG if), it can be successful. And if our staff could consistently pull talent at DT, then guys like Chad will flourish at SDE.

Advertisement
Thomas is a 4-3 DE IMO, as is McCord and AQM. This defense would be markedly better in a 4-3.

I laugh at how people just presume kids blindly sign with a school without considering their position, their role in the scheme, or how those factors will prepare them for the NFL. I'm pretty sure Chad was very comfortable with how the coaches described their intent to use him. And I'm equally certain the coaches were straightforward with him. Whether is works out remains to be seen. But dismissing his impact at SDE in this system based on the performance of those with markedly inferior skills is stupid. So, too, is the idea that he is somehow not a good fit for that position -- he appears to be a great fit based on his skill set and physical makeup. If the scheme is properly executed and coached (a BIG if), it can be successful. And if our staff could consistently pull talent at DT, then guys like Chad will flourish at SDE.

That's a lot of "if's"...

AI come on bro... weak link on this team is D and people wondering and berating the scheme and placement of this incoming talent isn't called for???? **** yes it is.

Instead of *****ing at everyone that is *****ing, why not add something to the discussion.

Let's not act like I am criticizing the people breaking down his talent, different position analysis, etc. I am mocking those saying "but can he cover WRs", then liking the same post five more times. The defense is clearly the weak link on the team. Bad schtick is the weak link on this board. You bring it with Archer, Dan, Poets, GhostofV and M2tH and that, while it may be overkill and annoying at times, it actually provides addition to the board. The one line wannabe cool kids trying to get those guys to like their anti-Golden posts are pretty awful.

I am not a coach, and I'm also not going to act like I am or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. The defense is a weak link, but in that bowl game disaster the offense was far more offensive to me. Overall I was so ****ed off my wife was actually buying me beers to knock me out I think. So don't be mislead into thinking I am happy.

To Chad Thomas and the defense - clearly the DL is the biggest question mark. We think we have answers to the LBs and Secondary, but the answers are better than we have had, but still not "back". Chad, by all accounts, is not an imbecile. So with that I am comfortable that he knows what he is getting himself into. Whether it is Coach D's defense, Golden's or a combination of both, I don't think we can judge it fairly until the talent improved. Golden wasn't going to throw his bro under the bus with the crap he had to deal with in talent, negative recruiting, etc.

I think they both got here and were like Holy ****, this is Miami football. Yikes. Then the NCAA. Which I refuse to act like it had no impact on our recruiting. So the 4 years comments are hollow to me. Since it is in no way a typical 4 years.

Chad, IMO, will be fine here. He comes in at a better time than say Chick. Not sure where he will play, but I also don't forget us calling to see more McCord and AQM and then watch them be ineffective more often than not in what we were crying for.

I'll wait until the season to ***** about the season. Not with the depth chart, before the dude even practices once.

We finally have the type of DL we want with this new class in Chad, Moten, Wyche, Jenkins, Heurtelou, Harris and D Jackson. We still have McCord, AQM, Kamalu for 2 years, as well, and maybe Hamilton and Moore will show something before they graduate. Then we have the Seniors in Pierre and Chick. This year's lineup is too thin among the veterans, so not ideal depth of experience. But the overall talent is level is way up at the same time as we have a better secondary.

We have to expect Golden and D'O to be smart enough to use these better weapons differently than they did in the past, where they were gapped out talent-wise. It's also year 4 of their scheme, and the young guys like Chad have the older guys like Chick to learn from. If that doesn't happen, then I will join the chorus line of critics. But WEZ et al. have the more rational argument, and we should see a vastly improved defense this year.

Advertisement
Pretty much all of this!

Just because Chick two gaps majority of the time when hes in doesnt mean we cant change up what the dline is doing and let Chad play more single gap when he is playing. I dont know why people are freaking out when we really don't know how Chad is going to be used in our defense. Its a depth chart for god sake. No ones seen Chad play for us before so there is no way to actually know what the coaches are thinking. Why dont we stop jumping to conclusions and just wait until the season and Chad is actually on the field.

Unfortunately this staff hasn't shown a lot of creativity and flexibility on defense.

You say that, but our defense has looked different every single season since they got here, and why should this year be any different. As we get more talented players, the coaches will be able to do more things on defense. Chad is a unique player and I could definitely see the coaches doing some different things with him because of his unique skill set. I just dont understand why people are getting mad about it already when we really dont know what the coaches are planning.

Where have you been the last 3 years? Not watching our d I can tell you that. This is how I define our scheme and player placement. Square peg round hole.

Most on this board know the type of talent we have/had. Do we use their athleticism to our advantage or ask them to sit back and react vs attack. It has been the same crap the last 3 years and now you think they are going to change? smh

The last three years I have ACTUALLY been paying attention to our defense instead of just seeing that we do bad and bash everything the coaches are doing. Our defense has been different every single year that they have been here and I dont understand why people just assume that its going to be exactly the same and that Chad is going to be wasted.

And can you please tell me who all those really athletic guys who we are telling to read and react are. We've asked guys like Chic and OP to read and react on the line, but I dont see them as being crazy athletic. Guys such as Mccord and AQM are attacking almost every time they are in. Ill agree that the we ran the same stunts too often which made them not very successful, but Im not going to start bashing the coaches during the off-season when we dont really know what to expect.

If the season comes along and we are doing the exact same thing and Chad is unsuccessfully being used to only two gap, then bash away. I just dont see the point of doing it now when no one truly know what to expect.

You say that, but our defense has looked different every single season since they got here, and why should this year be any different. As we get more talented players, the coaches will be able to do more things on defense. Chad is a unique player and I could definitely see the coaches doing some different things with him because of his unique skill set. I just dont understand why people are getting mad abdout it already when we really dont know what the coaches are planning.

The last three years I have ACTUALLY been paying attention to our defense instead of just seeing that we do bad and bash everything the coaches are doing. Our defense has been different every single year that they have been here and I dont understand why people just assume that its going to be exactly the same and that Chad is going to be wasted.

And can you please tell me who all those really athletic guys who we are telling to read and react are. We've asked guys like Chic and OP to read and react on the line, but I dont see them as being crazy athletic. Guys such as Mccord and AQM are attacking almost every time they are in. Ill agree that the we ran the same stunts too often which made them not very successful, but Im not going to start bashing the coaches during the off-season when we dont really know what to expect.

If the season comes along and we are doing the exact same thing and Chad is unsuccessfully being used to only two gap, then bash away. I just dont see the point of doing it now when no one truly know what to expect.

denzel perryman said that they are doing the same thing on defense they did last year and that the coaches really didnt change anything.

You say that, but our defense has looked different every single season since they got here, and why should this year be any different. As we get more talented players, the coaches will be able to do more things on defense. Chad is a unique player and I could definitely see the coaches doing some different things with him because of his unique skill set. I just dont understand why people are getting mad abdout it already when we really dont know what the coaches are planning.

denzel perryman said that they are doing the same thing on defense they did last year and that the coaches really didnt change anything.

Because what one player has said is probably the exact truth. I remember that statement and you could interpret it in a lot of different ways. He could have just meant that the basics of defense are all the same. That were changing systems. That doesnt mean that there wont be new wrinkles throughout that scheme. Also, chad wasnt here over the spring, so they may have some new wrinkles specifically for him that they didnt use in the spring. Just as they did last year having specific packages for Mccord and AQM, they could very well be doing something similar and giving Chad some specific things to do because he is an exceptional talent.

Im just saying, why dont we wait and see what the coaches are doing with the defense and with Chad before already declaring that we are going to suck and that Chad is going to be wasted.

Advertisement

Instead of ****ing at everyone that is ****ing, why not add something to the discussion.

Let's not act like I am criticizing the people breaking down his talent, different position analysis, etc. I am mocking those saying "but can he cover WRs", then liking the same post five more times. The defense is clearly the weak link on the team. Bad schtick is the weak link on this board. You bring it with Archer, Dan, Poets, GhostofV and M2tH and that, while it may be overkill and annoying at times, it actually provides addition to the board. The one line wannabe cool kids trying to get those guys to like their anti-Golden posts are pretty awful.

Pretty fvckin gaay that you don't put my name in there. I have worked pretty hard in unison with that group.

Instead of ****ing at everyone that is ****ing, why not add something to the discussion.

Pretty fvckin gaay that you don't put my name in there. I have worked pretty hard in unison with that group.

It is like an award speech. Some one always gets left out. Damnit!

Citing the one player most noted to be changing positions this year as your example of how nothing changes may not be overly convincing to some folks.

Advertisement
Back