CFN: ACC Predicitons

It's all going to boil down to who we can bring in through the portal post spring. If we can land 2 more DL including a DE type capable of 10+ sacks, 2 LBs, an explosive WR and Mims at RT then we will be a tough team. All of the above is in addition to our injured coming back and the rest of the true freshmen coming in.

I need to be able to read @DMoney fall camp post and have him say that the defensive front 7 is night and day compared to spring and that the OL has gelled and is ready to bust heads. I don't mean 2001 but still much improved. If this is what we hear post fall camp then sign me up for a date in the ACCCG. The front seven doesn't have to be 2017-2018 level. They just need to show that they will be noticably better than last year. The reason is that we have a potentially potent offense that is led by the most important piece a football can have and that is an elite QB. We should be able to outscore most teams.

Advertisement
Agree with the last three posters above. It comes down to the remaining portal transfers, both in and out. Moreover, it also comes down to how fast the team gels around the new coaches. Lot of change going on.

But if we get a few more pieces to the puzzle, that 7-5 2021 Manny team (which could have gone 5-7 or 10-2) will be virtually nonexistent in the 2022 Mario team. Jury's still out. But I'm optimistic.

Again, take TODAY’s Van Dyke and start him from the beginning last year, that team wins 10 games and some of the close wins aren’t close.

I got 3 losses at most. @ A&M, @ Clemson and MAYBE @ one of the Virginia teams.

Don’t give a HOOT , when you play you FEED and run up the scoreboard.

No talk no conversation about the massacre, just say after each game we executed our game plan it went very well and we’re looking forward to executing our game plan with our next opponent .

Never ever mention your opponents there meaningless and are nothing more at all then food.

This is our mindset “ without remorse “ attitude be FEARED NEVER EVER BE RESPECTED losers worry about what others think that got us to all those terrible seasons.

BEING FEARED BRINGS RINGS

GOCANES

Advertisement
it’s simple math for me. Manny was able to get to 8 wins (I’m counting the bowl game as a win) two years in a row. TVD is another year older and supposedly looking like a stud. Every single unit is better outside of the ‘20 DEs group. So to me, thats worth at least 2 more wins. This team will win 10, especially if we land Mesidor and Dorlus.

3rd in the Coastal?

That could easily happen. Today I’m still siding with 8-4 until I see what transfers are coming in.

You are what your record says you are. We had hella close games last year.

Some we won
NCST
Pitt
Georgia Tech

some we didn’t.
FSU
UNC
UVA

How can anyone proclaim 10-2, 11-1, or 12-0 with our performances. Yes we have better coaches but we need DUDES.

Until the games start or I see more transfers I’m in wait and see mode on this defense being good enough to will us to a higher record.

Y’all really trusting the DJ iveys? Our DL which scares no one? And our LBs?

I hope everyone steps it up. But I’m not that mad at the 7-9 win predictions.

I got us at 8-4 until we see the rest of the transfer group.
Only really lost UVA because TVD needed a half to break in. Didn't really lose much talent this offseason.

TVD is a top 5 cfb qb and we still out talent most of our coastal competition. 8-4 with a healthy TVD will be a disappointment.

edit: Part of Mario's job (and his supposed strong point) is to evaluate and bring in talent from the transfer portal. He's already brought in 4 dudes on defense with potentially more on the way. If the defense can't play slightly better than last year that's a red flag. If the defense does play slightly better than last year our offense should outscore teams.

Spring is eternal, let the lights come on and see what happens.

And then, when certain people start chirping on this board, listen. They tend to call it like they see it and have been pretty accurate for some time now.

And if you certain people go negative again I am heating up the iron for real this time and burning the ink right off, no anesthesia. I will take the pain Sgt. Barnes.

I hear you man.

We could have had 10 wins if the close games swung the other way for the good guys.

The close games we did win what if we didn’t. We would have been 4-8.

That’s also the reality of our team. We COULD absolutely run 10+ win seasons with the rosters we’ve had.

I’m loving the Cristobal hire but this University needs to produce now it’s team.

6-8 wins has basically been us since we joined the ACC.

I will say I love the direction we are heading in. But barring some game changing transfers I’m not judging Cristobal for this season or even the next one.

Year 3 with Cristobal and all his stud recruits is where I’m interested in seeing where we are.

The close games we won should NOT have been close.

Manny was bad.

Lashlee wasn’t much better for big portions, especially early in the year. He was Jekyl and Hyde play calling wise. I know a lot of people focus on the good because he was much better than Richt and Enos, but he had some awful stretches that cost us games and made wins harder than necessary.

He was poor getting into the right play against the defenses alignment. ****, it looked like he was picking plays out of a hat sometimes.

We had NO BUSINESS losing to MSU. NONE. UVA or FSU either.

Steele is good for 5-10 points better than Manny. Gattis’ less predictable offense will make us more consistent and help us control games better.

I understand the wariness of fans, but I see a much better football team. Transfers could make us the story of 2022. How many wins that translates to, I’m not sure. We won’t lose more than four though.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We go 10-2 if we can strengthen our front 7 with a few more transfers and get one more OL (who could possibly start) from the portal.

I'm not worried about WRs because our RBs and TEs are so good catching the ball and Gattis will adjust. Plus X will be extremely reliable so we just need a burner or one big guy to emerge.

Only teams that should be able to beat us are Clemson and A2M. Having TVD makes up a **** ton for other weaknesses.

What happens in the MSU game last year if Mallory didn't drop the TD and we go up 14-0? Sure we could have lost but that completely changed the momentum of the game.

Well, they predicted 9-3 in 2021 and we went 7-5; however, we were a missed FG (UVA) and a defensive brain fart (FSU) away from them being spot on. The point is, don't take these things personally. The margins are thin.

NCState will be the "surprise" team in the ACC.

Overlooking them this year is a mistake

Last edited:
Advertisement
Only teams that should be able to beat us are Clemson and A2M. Having TVD makes up a **** ton for other weaknesses.

What happens in the MSU game last year if Mallory didn't drop the TD and we go up 14-0? Sure we could have lost but that completely changed the momentum of the game.

It was more than that.

MSU was trying to keep us from beating them deep with a lot of cover 2 and cover 3 zone. They left TONS of room in the run game that Lashlee failed to exploit. His predictability with the zone run allowed them to tee off on it when they read run and crash linebackers into the middle even though the presnap alignment was generally favorable. When he ran to our leverage, they couldn’t stop us. Problem was he hardly did that.

King CARVED THEM UP with short and intermediate passes. We tried to force it to the flat with the backs, but the zones kept it from working. What did work was the hitches and crosses. I combine that with proper leverage and a gap blocking play or two (pulling wasn’t necessary), and we would have had them on skates for four quarters.

King had four turnovers. Two were his fault, but the second set was not. We ran him too much and didn’t give him enough outlets to quickly get rid of the ball. Zion got him hurt helping on the inside for what appears to be no reason and couldn’t lock onto the edge rusher lined up wide.

It sucks because if Lashlee was better, we pull away and put them away early and King doesn’t get beat up so much. But that’s water under the bridge.

It’s good we lost because it set the table for the changes that have been made. I bring it up because we are not nearly as bad as we looked at times last year, and there is reason for optimism with the roster as is. Add in some more quality transfers and we can really get this thing up and running quickly.

Advertisement
I don't want to hear **** about where we are or where we might be ranked in the *** acc. I expect to look different in the trenches come August. Talk to me then with predictions.

I wonder if Clemson is such a sure bet. They lost of coaching, and we know coaching makes a big difference.

Advertisement
Back