Central vs IMG 20- 14 FINAL!!!!!!

Advertisement
Myself I don't think that's just Texas. Texas,Cali, Pennsylvania to a lesser extent they take high school football real serious when it relates to coaching. That's the main problem Florida kids have coming out of high school. Majority of places play kids far out of position. It's just about who's the best athletes they can put at each position and as a result they never really learn how to play most positions beyond rb,wr & de. Is what it is with these types of athletes. Take the good with the bad
75% of South Florida football players have NO IDEA how to watch film. It doesnt even matter to them who they are playing ...the first time they really get that is when they reach college.

My current almamater has 4 coaches ...TOTAL...with one i know not a real football guy

Advertisement
75% of South Florida football players have NO IDEA how to watch film. It doesnt even matter to them who they are playing ...the first time they really get that is when they reach college.

My current almamater has 4 coaches ...TOTAL...with one i know not a real football guy

Lol, idk about other high schools....but Norland used to watch film during elective classes

Was it him or someone else who said act like you been there before. No reason to celebrate

When they grow up watching college DBs celebrating after getting beat simply because a receiver dropped a pass, or they see their idols on Saturday jumping around like they just won a ring after making a routine tackle, just expect it to get worse and worse.

Advertisement
The only step in the right direction is to start paying coaches properly.
You get what you pay for. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Texas and Georgia pay.

I agree, but think the two go hand in hand.

I know boosters will pay salaries in Texas, but not sure about Georgia.

Our rule eliminates guys who either want to be full time head coaches or who don't want to deal with the headaches of working for a school board (low pay, politics).

With our elderly population, getting the government to up coaches' pay will be an uphill climb.

Our culture sees coaches as volunteers. I would like your thoughts on how this can be changed.

Advertisement
The only step in the right direction is to start paying coaches properly.
You get what you pay for. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Texas and Georgia pay.
Yes and no. Paying dudes is relevant. BUT you need to identify the right people to pay. The most important factor is identifying coaches that actually know the game and how to coach kids up properly. In south Florida the main factor in hiring coaches seems to be either a past in optimist ball or they're popular in that community. To me that **** is crazy. As a result all they do is continue what gave them success in optimist ball(that's putting as many athletes as possible on the field & out of position) people can talk as much as they want about the st Thomas & heritage approach & schools like that. But they surround kids with as many people as possible that have done this at a high level and know the game & you see those results in the kids. Financially private schools have more to invest but due diligence can narrow that gap.

Yes and no. Paying dudes is relevant. BUT you need to identify the right people to pay. The most important factor is identifying coaches that actually know the game and how to coach kids up properly. In south Florida the main factor in hiring coaches seems to be either a past in optimist ball or they're popular in that community. To me that **** is crazy. As a result all they do is continue what gave them success in optimist ball(that's putting as many athletes as possible on the field & out of position) people can talk as much as they want about the st Thomas & heritage approach & schools like that. But they surround kids with as many people as possible that have done this at a high level and know the game & you see those results in the kids. Financially private schools have more to invest but due diligence can narrow that gap.

Right on, but what the public schools need to do is get a booster club going and find corporate sponsors. That's what those Texas schools do, the money doesn't come from the district so it isn't about paying out taxpayer dollars as some suggested.

They need to get rid of the must be a teacher rule and follow that up by hiring guys who have run things in other states like what I'm talking about above.

You're not wrong about that at all.
Community connections is a massive factor in hiring coaches. Tons of HS programs hiring glorified optimist coaches.
They won't even look at a guy's resume, his development skills, the rankings/success of his units, etc.

What are their other options though?
How many guys in South Florida ACTUALLY KNOW AND STUDY BALL?
I go to multiple clinics every year. South Florida is the least represented area at these clinics. They'll attend all the camps, little league games and 7-on-7 tournaments though.
There's not exactly a lot of guru coaches walking around South Florida.
Truth be told, the ones that are gurus DON'T BE IN THE STREETS. They don't associate with the typical South Florida coaching culture and they're not heavy on social media. Most casual HS football followers probably couldn't even name them.

Advertisement
Right on, but what the public schools need to do is get a booster club going and find corporate sponsors. That's what those Texas schools do, the money doesn't come from the district so it isn't about paying out taxpayer dollars as some suggested.

They need to get rid of the must be a teacher rule and follow that up by hiring guys who have run things in other states like what I'm talking about above.
In an ideal world that would absolutely work. That's how they do it in Cali & Texas. Key difference though to where it becomes more impractical is the demographic in place. In Texas especially they take their high school football as serious as they take the cowboys and more serious then anything else... That corporate backing is possible because of the people and families in place. I don't think I can see that down here because people essentially are more into the me & my moment. Whether that's because it's just who they are or if it's because of cost of living etc. Don't know. But I think that's the biggest factor that keeps that from being possible here. But to a lesser extent I could see it working and every penny helps.

You're not wrong about that at all.
Community connections is a massive factor in hiring coaches. Tons of HS programs hiring glorified optimist coaches.
They won't even look at a guy's resume, his development skills, the rankings/success of his units, etc.

What are their other options though?
How many guys in South Florida ACTUALLY KNOW AND STUDY BALL?
I go to multiple clinics every year. South Florida is the least represented area at these clinics. They'll attend all the camps, little league games and 7-on-7 tournaments though.
There's not exactly a lot of guru coaches walking around South Florida.
Truth be told, the ones that are gurus DON'T BE IN THE STREETS. They don't associate with the typical South Florida coaching culture and they're not heavy on social media. Most casual HS football followers probably couldn't even name them.
Maybe you'd disagree,but myself I'd say the reason for that is because they know their knowledge isn't relevant in this market. Just like here since the Coker regime, people are willing to just go the easier route or turn a blind eye to the issue. Until they acknowledge the problem nothing will change. I find it hard to believe they aren't aware how backwards their process is.

A lot of the great public school coaches that have coached down here have either quit or left the state. Higher pay should attract better coaching candidates and also raises standards, accountability and expectations. And it would keep the good ones from leaving.

You want as many coaches on campus as possible. Those guys in Texas and Georgia don't have to worry about anything but football. Some of them have breezy campus jobs like security, physical education or internal suspension.

Imagine how much better of a coach you could be if you didn't have to work a shift at a contracting business and then run t0 practice every day at 4pm. Imagine if all you did from 7am to 7pm was work on football. Those high schools in Texas and Georgia are structured like college programs. Their coaches don't do **** except worry about football. And if they actually teach, their teaching pay is significantly higher and their coaching stipend is handsome.

Imagine how much more you could learn about football if your school or booster club paid for your clinics. You'd probably be more likely to go and learn some ****. When I go to clinics I have to pay for my own registration, my own gas, my own food and my own hotel.

The best and most knowledgeable staffs I've been a part of in 17 years, went to clinics together and it was fully funded by our booster club. Not only was it a bonding experience, but our whole staff came home with more knowledge. It was mandatory that we went. And that investment brought returns. Our HC won 'coach of the year' multiple times, in different counties, and has turned around 4 separate programs.

I believe when you compensate people fairly, they tend to work harder. You see it all over America. There's a reason the service at Chick-fil-A, Costco, Publix, etc... is better than the service you get at Walmart and McDonald's.
You work with more urgency when there's something to lose. When you're a volunteer or your stipend is only $2,000, what do you really have to lose? Bump that stipend up to $12k and that comes with more urgency to be good.
I coached the entire Deerfield defense last year with only one assistant. I had no DL or LB coach. Pretty sure it would be easier to find reliable position coaches if they were getting 10k+ stipends like the guys in Georgia. However my LB coach had a contracting business. Half the time he couldn't be at practice because the job wasn't done before 4:00pm. How can I tell a grown man with mouths to feed that he has to leave his job everyday and coach kids in the hot sun for basically no money. Now if I'm giving you $10,000+ I can demand you to be there and expect you to do your job thoroughly.

Florida will probably never get this **** together though, because despite their low pay and terrible resources, there's always a line of guys willing to coach. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Jenkins. Pls let’s get this kid. Since we was a freshman he has been a stud. Liberty has been on him since then. What is the scoop on this cat and are recruiting him?

Advertisement
Back