2023 Cedric “CJ” Baxter (c/o 2023)

Just my opinion, but I don't think Cook is considered a generational RB anywhere outside of Miami and Tallahassee. Generational talent maybe, and on the college level I'd put him in the top group of guys the last 20 years... but the last three generational RBs for me would be Tomlinson, Peterson, and Henry. I could be wrong, but personally I don't think Cook winds up in Canton with those guys

What if I told you Dalvin Cook is 8th all-time in the NFL in yards rushing per game, and 20th all-time in Yards Per Carry?

He's got a long way to go, but he's off to a pretty good start. He's gotta stop getting hurt, though. Something he's literally never been able to do.

Advertisement
What if I told you Dalvin Cook is 8th all-time in the NFL in yards rushing per game, and 20th all-time in Yards Per Carry?

He's got a long way to go, but he's off to a pretty good start. He's gotta stop getting hurt, though. Something he's literally never been able to do.

Looking at his contemporaries, Nick Chubb is 13th in rushing yards per game and 6th in yards per carry. Derrick Henry is 22nd in rushing yards per game and 14th in yards per carry. Henry is 70th in rushing yards all-time (in one more season that Cook), Cook is 157th (in one more season that Chubb), and Chubb is 158th.

IMO both of those guys have a better chance of ending up in the HoF than Cook. I may be wrong, but 6-7 years from now I expect Dalvin Cook's career to look more like Robert Smith's than it will the likes of LT or AP. That's still a career to be very proud of, but it isn't at the level of a generational RB. My $.02.

Last edited:
No you don’t. You just follow recruiting pundits. These recruiting rankings will have you thinking Mark Pope is better than Jamarr Chase.
Lol have you watched Reuben Owens film?? Obviously you haven’t to make a dumb *** comment like this. Reuben Owens is a grown *** man. There’s a clear gap between him and the rest. You don’t see Cedrick or Young trucking people and taking off for 50 yard gains. He’s got verified 10.9 track times as a sophomore to go with a 23 foot long jump. Oh and my man ran for 3000 yards last year. I love Baxter and Young but gun to head pick 1 of the three I’m going Reuben Owens. You don’t have to agree but don’t act like I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
Lol have you watched Reuben Owens film?? Obviously you haven’t to make a dumb *** comment like this. Reuben Owens is a grown *** man. There’s a clear gap between him and the rest.
Lets not bring up this debate again. This was talked about at nauseam already during the "January Elite camp" thread. Everyone has their favorite for one reason or another. Lets just leave it at that and not derail the thread. Lol.

Advertisement
They said the same about another Texas rb that signed with Nebraska and he didn’t do ****. Tryna remember his name, I think it was Aaron green? @Liberty City El what was that dudes name? His tape was stupid
I mean there will always be misses. Look at Lingard lol he had everyone drooling over the highlight tape. Baxter is a beast regardless of the rankings. Hopefully we pair him with Fletcher or Young and they all go crazy

They said the same about another Texas rb that signed with Nebraska and he didn’t do ****. Tryna remember his name, I think it was Aaron green? @Liberty City El what was that dudes name? His tape was stupid
Yeah Aaron Green signed with Nebraska & then ended up transferring to TCU.

I don’t know what this argument is, but if I’m assuming that it’s a TX vs FL RB thing, it’s completely invalid.

There’s great RB’s that come from both regions in every class, there’s also a long list of busts from both regions too.

3 of the top 10 leading rushers in the Nation in college football last year were from TX.

Looking at his contemporaries, Nick Chubb is 13th in rushing yards per game and 6th in yards per carry. Derrick Henry is 22nd in rushing yards per game and 14th in yards per carry. Henry is 70th in rushing yards all-time (in one more season that Cook), Cook is 157th (in one more season that Chubb), and Chubb is 158th.

IMO both of those guys have a better chance of ending up in the HoF than Cook. I may be wrong, but 6-7 years from now I expect Dalvin Cook's career to look more like Robert Smith's than it will the likes of LT or AP. That's still a career to be very proud of, but it isn't at the level of a generational RB. My. $.02.

I certainly won't argue it, I really think at the end of the day it comes down to how durable he is and is going to be going forward. And if his literal entire career at every level is any indicator, the answer is going to be "not very". It'll probably also shorten his career overall. If he plays a relatively healthy 5-6 more years and stays this productive, he's got a real shot.

He's averaging 113 scrimmage yards per game for his career. That's insane. But he's only played 56 games, he's got a long way to go.

Bottom line, he's a generational talent. No doubt in my mind. But he's not a generational player yet, especially because he's missed 25 games in 5 years.

BTW, just because I'm a stat nerd, here are the yards from scrimmage per game leaders in NFL history, minimum 40 games played:

1. Jim Brown -- 125.5 in 118 games, Hall of Fame
2. Billy Sims -- 119.6 in 60 games
3. Barry Sanders -- 118.9 in 153 games, Hall of Fame
4. Terrell Davis -- 113.9 in 78 games, Hall of Fame
5. Christian McCaffrey -- 113.8 in 58 games, active player
6. Dalvin Cook -- 112.8 in 56 games, active player
7. Walter Payton -- 111.9 in 190 games, Hall of Fame

Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised at all. Hopefully one day we can stop using "per capita" stats to talk about his success on the field, but like you said... injuries

Yeah, but those numbers usually go down for RBs and fast. ****, Portis came out the gate looking like a sure fire HOFer in Denver.

What if I told you dalvin cook was a needle ****ed ***** seminole?

Advertisement
I’ll just say this, and leave it that. I’m not taking anything away from Reuben Owens, but you must really think what you see in his “highlight” film will automatically transition to college. If so, here’s a list of highly touted 5 star RBs you should check out …

1. Zamir White
2. Zach Evans
3. Kendall Milton
4. Lorenzo Lingard

Now check their stats. We’ll revisit this conversation in a couple of years.

I’ll just say this, and leave it that. I’m not taking anything away from Reuben Owens, but you must really think what you see in his “highlight” film will automatically transition to college. If so, here’s a list of highly touted 5 star RBs you should check out …

1. Zamir White
2. Zach Evans
3. Kendall Milton
4. Lorenzo Lingard

Now check their stats. We’ll revisit this conversation in a couple of years.
White had major knee injuries in college

White had major knee injuries in college

So did Milton.

Evans still has time, but no clue why he first went to TCU first.

The board was split on Lingard, the rest we know.

You never know what will happen with injuries, but if anyone thinks Reuben Foster won't do some special things if healthy in college, I don't know what to say. He is absolutely the total package.

None of those guys above look as good as him at this point in their career. That's okay, there's only been a handful or two at most who have in my 20 plus years of following online recruiting.

He'll cost someone a small fortune.

I have Baxter ahead of Young and then there's a big drop off to Fletcher. Fletcher though isn't chopped lover, but the other two are top tier recruits.

Advertisement
Yeah - it's definitely a sliding scale. FL still produces the best RB's (and players in general), but recent FL RB's haven't been up to "Florida" standards

2009-2014 - Derrick Henry, Dalvin Cook, Devonta Freeman, Lamar Miller, Sony Michel, Gio Bernard, Duke Johnson, James White, Alex Collins
2015-2021 - Michael Carter, Devin Singletary, Zack Moss, Khalil Herbert

The 2015-21 definitely has it's share of good RB's, but they're an obvious level below 2009-14.

2015-21 guys like Carter/Singletary/Herbert/Moss weren't even Top 400 recruits. Top rated guys like Walton/Scarlett/Williams ended up good college players, but haven't made a mark in the NFL. Other guys like Chaney & Knighton are still TBD, but they haven't hit the ground running like the 09-14 RB's

I thought Chaney could reach that 09-14 level (but I feel less confident about it now). I think Baxter talent wise will end up in that group.

2009-2014 also had Marlon Mack, Matt Breida , Raheem Mostert. Thats a pretty absurd group and a ton of yards.

Just my opinion, but I don't think Cook is considered a generational RB anywhere outside of Miami and Tallahassee. Generational talent maybe, and on the college level I'd put him in the top group of guys the last 20 years... but the last three generational RBs for me would be Tomlinson, Peterson, and Henry. I could be wrong, but personally I don't think Cook winds up in Canton with those guys
If not hurt hes a better rb than Henry honestly speaking. I guess folks dont watch the Vikings much...but the instant dude plays its 100 yds rushing.

So did Milton.

Evans still has time, but no clue why he first went to TCU first.

The board was split on Lingard, the rest we know.

You never know what will happen with injuries, but if anyone thinks Reuben Foster won't do some special things if healthy in college, I don't know what to say. He is absolutely the total package.

None of those guys above look as good as him at this point in their career. That's okay, there's only been a handful or two at most who have in my 20 plus years of following online recruiting.

He'll cost someone a small fortune.

I have Baxter ahead of Young and then there's a big drop off to Fletcher. Fletcher though isn't chopped lover, but the other two are top tier recruits.
I also grade on a curve to the talent level they are playing against. I dont know the level Owens is playing at but he is doing what he is supposed to do to it.

The Florida rbs listed for the most part are playing elite competition of div 1 kids weekly.

I also grade on a curve to the talent level they are playing against. I dont know the level Owens is playing at but he is doing what he is supposed to do to it.

The Florida rbs listed for the most part are playing elite competition of div 1 kids weekly.

I get that, but just watching how someone moves, lateral quickness, burst, etc says a lot. He literally leads the pack in every category possibly besides top speed. That's the only he may be a step slower on and he may not be.

Advertisement
Back