CBS ranks head coaches in their first year at new school

reg

Sophomore
Feels good to once again see consistent positive news about our school. CBS is the latest to jump on board this train. The program is definitely trending in the right direction.

What are your thoughts on the list below that is compiled by cbssports? Personally, all I care about is the name at the top of the list.

CBS ranks college football coaches in year one with their school

1. Mark Richt, Miami
2. Jim Grobe, Baylor
3. Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech
4. Tracy Claeys, Minnesota
5. Mike Norvell, Memphis
6. Jason Candle, Toledo
7. Dino Babers, Syracuse
8. Kirby Smart, Georgia
9. D.J. Durkin, Maryland
10. Chris Ash, Rutgers
11. Tyson Summers, Georgia Southern
12. Barry Odom, Missouri
13. Mike Neu, Ball State
14. Jay Hopson, Southern Miss
15. Willie Fritz, Tulane
16. Scott Frost, UCF
17. Kalani Sitake, BYU
18. Will Muschamp, South Carolina
19. Scottie Montgomery, East Carolina
20. Seth Littrell, North Texas
21. Bronco Mendenhall, Virginia
22. Lovie Smith, Illinois
23. Frank Wilson, Texas-San Antonio
24. Matt Campbell, Iowa State
25. Nick Rolovich, Hawaii
26. Matt Viator, Louisiana-Monroe
27. Everett Withers, Texas State
28. Mike Jinks, Bowling Green
29. Clay Helton, USC

Advertisement
Scottie Montgomery should be much higher on the list...

He's done a pretty **** good job thus far beating NC St & almost beating South Carolina...
They got shellacked by Va Tech, but they've been a competitive team this season.

And, Kibry "not so Smart" is only ranked that high because of namesake & his prior tenure with Saban.

UGA has barely gotten by the skin on their teeth literally every single week leading up to the asswhoopin they got from Ole Miss.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The ACC has three coaches ahead of the first SEC coach to make the list. Love that sh:+

Top 3 ACC coaches on the list:
#1 , #3 , and #7 .

Top 3 SEC coaches on the list:
#8 , #1 2, and #1 8.

I'm happy with Rick so far, but I want to see what happens over these next 6 games before I become full fledged Brock fan boy.

Advertisement
Three ACC coaches in the top seven is nice to see. I think it's on the right path to becoming a tougher conference overall. However it's a little foolish to have a list like this after a month of football. Most likely half the guys on this list won't make it past year 4. Or in Clay Helton's case year one.

Advertisement
Smart is too high as is the Syracuse coach. Fuente is probably too high as well. He's done well in his other 3 games but why would he be so high when he got routed so bad by Tennessee?

The Toledo coach should be higher as should the ECU coach. Also Mendenhall should be even lower. He should probably be at the very bottom behind even Helton.

We Back!!!! We just won the Coker award

What about the Dennis Erickson or Urban Meyer Award?

Or on the flip side the Brady Hoke or Charlie Weis Award? I still remember when Hoke won the Sugar Bowl in his 1st year and some people who were more skeptical about Golden were wondering why he couldn't achieve something similar in year 1.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Minnesota just keeps winning. Not surprised to see their coach on that list so high.

Scottie Montgomery should be much higher on the list...

He's done a pretty **** good job thus far beating NC St & almost beating South Carolina...
They got shellacked by Va Tech, but they've been a competitive team this season.

And, Kibry "not so Smart" is only ranked that high because of namesake & his prior tenure with Saban.

UGA has barely gotten by the skin on their teeth literally every single week leading up to the asswhoopin they got from Ole Miss.
Agree

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back