CB Vernon Davis, Coral Reef HS

Larry

All-American
Advertisement
Looks pretty good. A little smallish and he got blocked pretty easily in a couple of those Norland highlights. Looks like he can definitely run though.

Is #5 from Homestead Waters? He looked nice too.

Looks pretty good...good feet, looks quicker than fast. One worry would be his size. I hope he's a legit 5'10 now because he looks smaller on the tape.

Advertisement
I was skeptical of him based on what I read and heard last summer. Not a Hope-level skepticism, but didn't think he was a front-line prospect -- more like future depth. I've changed my view though. I think he could well be a solid physical corner. Fast enough. I could see him getting run at UM. Not a future NFL corner, but chasing perfection in prospects has led us astray for the past decade.

Advertisement
I was skeptical of him based on what I read and heard last summer. Not a Hope-level skepticism, but didn't think he was a front-line prospect -- more like future depth. I've changed my view though. I think he could well be a solid physical corner. Fast enough. I could see him getting run at UM. Not a future NFL corner, but chasing perfection in prospects has led us astray for the past decade.

Here are my thoughts on Larry Hope.

He came in and earned a scholarship offer. Walked into a camp, where everyone knew they were playing for scholarship offers, and earned one. Same with Irish Jake O'Donnell from PA and Brandon Hollifield from Godby.

Most would consider those our lowest end commits...but they came in and earned offers competing against peers right in front of our coaches. Can't really hate on those commits for that reason alone.

He came in and earned a scholarship offer. Walked into a camp, where everyone knew they were playing for scholarship offers, and earned one. Same with Irish Jake O'Donnell from PA and Brandon Hollifield from Godby.

Most would consider those our lowest end commits...but they came in and earned offers competing against peers right in front of our coaches. Can't really hate on those commits for that reason alone.

And thats why I'm willing to give Golden more leeway on these pick-ups. He actually saw them first hand and liked what he saw enoughto give them an early offer, not that late january offer when you've missed out on 8 other players.

I'm not hating on him. Just skeptical about his ceiling and future role. I do think there are people who know more about these kids then a staff can often learn in a camp, and the consensus on Hope hasn't been good. Maybe he'll surprise, but when every Florida recruiting type out there agrees on someone, I can't remember the consensus ever being wrong.

Advertisement
I like Davis. However, (a) he looked awful small in those clips and (b) he had some soft tape clips in there, too, in run game stuff. Not just getting physically overmatched, but effort didn't look there either. He seems to go both ways so maybe he was just tired and it was a poor example.... but I saw both plenty of positives and some concerns, too.

I like Davis. However, (a) he looked awful small in those clips and (b) he had some soft tape clips in there, too, in run game stuff. Not just getting physically overmatched, but effort didn't look there either. He seems to go both ways so maybe he was just tired and it was a poor example.... but I saw both plenty of positives and some concerns, too.

When you don't watch simply highlight reels, you'll always see some concerns...99% of them come from a player just not hustling on every single play...it happens everywhere and to every body.

Advertisement

Not disagreeing necessarily and not commenting one way or another on Hope and the other camp kids, but camp isn't live, contact football. Camp is drills.

Some kids can shine in a camp environment who aren't always productive on the field. Camp doesn't test toughness and competitiveness like a game does. Camp doesn't test football instincts and IQ. Etc.

I'm not hating on him. Just skeptical about his ceiling and future role. I do think there are people who know more about these kids then a staff can often learn in a camp, and the consensus on Hope hasn't been good. Maybe he'll surprise, but when every Florida recruiting type out there agrees on someone, I can't remember the consensus ever being wrong.

I'm probably as skeptical as you...but, its one of those situations where, I just don't say anything. The way they earned the scholarship offer, I mean...its a "good for them" type response from me. I'd like to break down their game as some sort of way to devalue the commitment if I could, but I mean, they earned the offer where it matters, so, I say, good for them and I hope they give us some good football over the next 4-5 years.

Not disagreeing necessarily and not commenting one way or another on Hope and the other camp kids, but camp isn't live, contact football. Camp is drills.

Some kids can shine in a camp environment who aren't always productive on the field. Camp doesn't test toughness and competitiveness like a game does. Camp doesn't test football instincts and IQ. Etc.

I don't disagree, but the coaches put players through tests where the best would earn scholarships. Its like those mopes throwing a football through a Dr. Pepper can for an academic scholarship...has nothing to do with earning a scholarship for academics, but they earned it where it counted, so, I can't hate on it.

Advertisement
Back