CB Recruiting

drifters1234

Senior
Bomb's message and the ensuing replies below highlight how woeful our CB depth will be next year. Who is on the radar screen that we have a realistic shot of pulling and can contribute immediately?

Thanks

Advertisement
We're starting to recruit more true corners who can jump right in. Guys like Hope and Dortch (and Leggett, if he makes grades) are lifelong defensive backs with well-developed skills.

Vernon Davis is more of an overall athlete/football player, but he looks like he can tackle and play with technique. Coach McGriff actually pointed to Davis as an example of a guy we wouldn't have recruited under the previous regime who will be a very good CFB corner.

Are Hope/Dortch/Davis from S Fla? And is the reason Davis would not have been recruited under the prior regime a height issue? i ask bc i recall Shannon ignoring a number of highly talented prospects that went on to great success elsewhere bc they did not meet Shannon's apparent 5'-11" or taller requirement.

drifters,
Yes on the first (Dortch is from Southwest Florida, but still) and strong yes on the second.

Advertisement
D$, is there any realistic hope for Tracy Howard? I just can't see a local guy ignoring the obvious opportunity at an NFL factory like Miami...but I mean some guys just can't be turned.

Also - is Deon Bush dead set on playing corner in college, or is he still in the mix for us @ S?

I don't see Tracy Howard happening.

Bush is a corner all the way to me. Not that physical, average ball hawk. His ability to run with receivers is his greatest attribute.

sfcane,
I've heard from Columbus folks that he's legitimately on the fence, but IMO the playing time will be too much to pass up.

Advertisement
Good stuff D$. I would be happy with 1 of the 2, I was thinking we wouldn't get either.

BTW, we need a few S prospects in this class. Its as thin if not more then CB. VT and RayRay will be Sr, Highsmith and Cornelius Jrs, Crawford and Armbrister a RS Fr and I think that's it. And I'm not sold on Highsmith or Cornelius being full time starters.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest ...relying on Freshman CBs starting scare the living **** out of me. What we need more so than anything is depth. So the Dortch's and Hopes of the world me more to me in that regard. What we need is to bring is JUCO CBs.

D$ -what is it looking like for those JUCO DBs?

JC

We gotta find a way to flip Tracy Howard. Its sickening to see the best DB in the country coming from the south Florida market leave for an out of area skool.

D$ -what is it looking like for those JUCO DBs?

JC

Golden isn't the biggest fan of JUCOs so I have a "wait and see" approach with them. I expect the Philly kid and the Norland kid to at least visit and we'll see from there.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dortch has been growing on me... like the fact that he practiced against Watkins a few years.

i looked the three up on rivals -- dortch, davis, and hope. is the consensus that all will stick by their commitments, or is it too early to tell w/ the looming sanctions?

If Bush projects as a CB, who do we see as Safety impact recruits??? I agree with above poster, depth @ S is terrifying. Does Lucas Thompson have a commitable offer? Legit shot @ PJ Williams....any other options out there?

i looked the three up on rivals -- dortch, davis, and hope. is the consensus that all will stick by their commitments, or is it too early to tell w/ the looming sanctions?

these 3 have said they are coming no matter what. Perhaps we can sway the JUCO kid Travell Dixon though unlikely. I dont think we have seen all the names emerge at safety yet. I expect things to pick up significantly now that teams from up north seasons are ending and kids are setting up visits.

Advertisement
Back