CB Hallman building strong bond with Rumph

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
While many have seen the quarantine going on over the past few weeks as a negative in the recruiting world, 2021 University School (FL) 3-star CB Ricardo Hallman says he’s seen the lockdowns as a benefit to his process.

“I don’t mind it,” Hallman said of the shutdowns. “A couple visits I wanted to go on in spring got shutdown, but it’s given me a chance to build relationships with more coaches and get closer to them.”

One of those relationships that have flourished for Hallman? That would be his connection with Miami Hurricanes cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph, who has kept in constant contact with the U-School star through the quarantine.

“Things with Miami have been going good,” Hallman said. “Especially with the quarantine happening now, I’m able to talk a lot more with coach Rumph and we’ve been building a good relationship.

“We were able to get on the phone yesterday. We talked about family and we talked about the draft for a while, just talking about the corners coming out, the whole scheme Miami runs, the players, and the environment of Miami.”

The 6-0 185 pound prospect also has a family connection to the Hurricanes – Hallman is cousins with redshirt sophomore striker Gilbert Frierson.

“He’s not trying to recruit me, but I’ve been talking to him about Miami recently,” Hallman said of Frierson. “He just says he’s not going to tell me where to go, but he knows I love Miami and Miami loves me. He said it’s everything you’d want for a college.”

With his spring visit slate cancelled, Hallman says he plans on making up those trips whenever the campuses open up again, but that he’s not going to rush a decision due to all the uncertainty.

“I was actually going to see Miami, coach Rumph sent me the spring schedule and I was about to go up there to watch a practice,” Hallman said. “I was also going to go to Louisville, Wisconsin, and Ole Miss.

“I think I’m at a point where I know I want to get up to a few schools when all this is over, and then I want to make a decision sometime after that. But I wouldn’t say I’m close to a decision right now, due to the fact I can’t get up to see the schools yet.”

Michigan was originally a school that Hallman told CIS was a co-leader for him back in December along with the Canes, but Hallman says the Wolverines have fallen off a bit at this point.

“I’m not as high on them anymore, but I’m still good with them,” Hallman said of Michigan. “I wouldn’t say Miami is my leader now, but they are definitely high up. I’d just prefer to keep things open right now.”

Hallman does expect to narrow down his list soon, though, and focus on the schools that can best fit what he’s looking for in a college program.

“That’s probably something I’ll do, make a top 3 or 4 or something like that,” Hallman said. “I can’t give an exact date yet, but it will be sometime in the near future.”

During his junior season, Hallman helped University School to an 8-3 record, but the Sharks fell in the playoffs to Cardinal Gibbons. Hallman certainly did his part make the 2019 season a success, landing on first team All-Broward after recording 8 interceptions, 20 solo tackles, and 5 PBU’s on the year.

“My mindset I bring to the field is like a dog mentality,” Hallman said. “When I line up in front of a receiver, my mindset is ‘I’m not going to let you beat me.’ My mindset is to shut you down the whole game.

“I feel like, as a corner, I can play any coverage that you want me to – man, cover 2, cover 4, off-man, press-man – it doesn’t matter to me. I feel like my ball skills are really good, I’m really high on my ball skills. If the ball is anywhere in my area, it’s definitely coming down with me, it’s not going into the hands of the receiver. I feel like I have good technique and I’m very patient.”

Advertisement
Rumph going to Rumph it up

This kid should be a plan c guy for rumph, which isnt a bad heel turn if you dont hit high on your board.
In broward i like a few cbs more than him early. One of them just went off the board in Mcburrows.

He is getting some good coaching at U SCHOOL and has good enough size, He also is going against pretty good comp in his film

Last edited:
Advertisement
This kid should be a plan c guy for rumph, which isnt a bad heel turn if you dont hit high on your board.
In broward i like a few cbs more than him early. One of them just went off the board in Mcburrows.

He is getting some good coaching at U SCHOOL and has good enough size, He also is going against pretty good comp in his film

Kid's offer list is fantastic. Why do you think he is a plan C? Jim Harbaugh, Paul Chyrst, and James Franklin aren't dummies and they've offered.

He's got really good ball skills & good hands, plays in off coverage a lot, but has good eye recognition in reading the QB & making quick breaks on the route. He's got good bail technique in Zone & looks to have a nice vert making some jump ball picks.

They don't play him in Press man, but they're not really running any complex Defensive schemes at U School.

The current CB group as of now, is Burns & Curtis, both are small guys & one of'em might not even stick at corner in college.

Plus there's Dawson too, another speedster that can play both Offense & Defense but is also really small as well.

Depending on where we stand with CB's like Omarion Cooper or Jordan Young could impact whether or not Hallman is a take. I think he's a take in this class, but I guess that all depends on how many they wanna take & who they think they can get.

His issue will be speed, if he tests well he should get a greenlight, you can't really tell what his exact numbers are off film alone, but he does display good footwork as a natural DB. He could probably play Safety at the next level too.

Advertisement
I really like this kid a lot if speed is a big issue , I would move inside .....kid makes plays and really sees it......I like him a lot......

Sounds like Michigan had McBurrows above Hallman. Wonder where Rumph has McBurrows/Knowles/Obrien/Hallman and if he'll still recruit McBurrows and Obrien. Tar'varish Dawson is another potential DB.

“I’m not as high on them anymore, but I’m still good with them,” Hallman said of Michigan. “I wouldn’t say Miami is my leader now, but they are definitely high up. I’d just prefer to keep things open right now.”

I LOVE THE KID. He understands cove 2/3 but in the video you don't see man coverage I think the reason is bc he does have the strength to play man. Hes small but has to get stronger bc the tackling is horrible, but it can get better. I love the kid and if he can get tackling down and man coverage down he would be a corner you don't want to throw to at all.
My only question what happens when he runs up on a 6'6" wideout that's 220-240?

Advertisement
I LOVE THE KID. He understands cove 2/3 but in the video you don't see man coverage I think the reason is bc he does have the strength to play man. Hes small but has to get stronger bc the tackling is horrible, but it can get better. I love the kid and if he can get tackling down and man coverage down he would be a corner you don't want to throw to at all.

What are 90% of college corners to do when they line up with a 6'6" 220-240 WR? How many WRs are that big?

What are 90% of college corners to do when they line up with a 6'6" 220-240 WR? How many WRs are that big?
Regardless of how many his matchups week to week are going to guys bigger and stronger he need to put muscle and weight on and he will be a beast to handle any size player. Stop being slow its a legit question and if you really want to know how many WR's are bigger then he is look up 247 wrs from 2019 and almost every wr is bigger then he is. As long as he gets in the gym and gets stronger he shouldn't have a problem.

Advertisement

:monkey-serious:

Regardless of how many his matchups week to week are going to guys bigger and stronger he need to put muscle and weight on and he will be a beast to handle any size player. Stop being slow its a legit question and if you really want to know how many WR's are bigger then he is look up 247 wrs from 2019 and almost every wr is bigger then he is. As long as he gets in the gym and gets stronger he shouldn't have a problem.
I never said he was big. Your hyperbolic "what if" as to why he shouldn't/can't play was interesting. I did look it up and there's only like 1 or 2 guys out of hundreds 6'6" 220-240, even the WRs drafted to the NFL the past 5 years aren't that size save a literal handful.

And 99% of corners this class are 6-2 or smaller and the 6-2 corners are a minority. Its not the postion of giants.

I never said he was big. Your hyperbolic "what if" as to why he shouldn't/can't play was interesting. I did look it up and there's only like 1 or 2 guys out of hundreds 6'6" 220-240, even the WRs drafted to the NFL the past 5 years aren't that size save a literal handful.

And 99% of corners this class are 6-2 or smaller and the 6-2 corners are a minority. Its not the postion of giants.
See this is why you have to watch what you post on here bc people will take the little things and put it under a microscope. I said I love the guy and his technique he has good balls skills and can play the **** out of cover 2/3. Man skills are lacking and you se it in the video and there is a reason why we just need more fil on the kid. Two yes his size is a problem bc I see him getting worked by bigger Wideouts no matter how many there is in college or nfl. And if you want to argue with me or rebuttal this statement save me from having to type again please bc you seem to think I think every WR in college is 6'6". Im saying as a whole in college he will have problems with bigger wideouts period if he doesn't put on good muscle and work on his technique to cover bigger guys when we ask him to play man.

Advertisement
Back