CB Dean coming to UM with sense of urgency

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
IMG_3851.jpg

Most Miami fans are familiar with the story of 2017 class cornerback signee Jhavonte Dean. Originally a member of the 2014 class from South Dade high school, Dean was a non-qualifier after signing with Cincinnati.

Left with no other choice, Dean enrolled at Blinn Junior College in Texas. Although the JUCO experience is not one that any prospect hopes to endure, it allowed the speedy defensive back to hone his craft and apply himself in the classroom.

"The biggest lesson I learned was take care of your grades first before you do anything and just go out and compete every day, on-and-off the field," Dean said.

The Homestead native said that he grew up loving the Hurricanes, but it never really crossed Dean's mind that he would have the chance to one day don the orange and green. He was committed to Nick Saban and Alabama for most of the recruiting cycle last year before the Canes came into the picture heavily.

"It was something I never pictured before," he said. "Miami was always my favorite team, but in high school I never really pictured myself being recruited by the University of Miami until I got to the junior college level. Me coming back home after I did my two years in Texas is just lovely to come back home close to my family and they can come to all of the games."

Dean is entering Miami with a certain sense of urgency -- with his eyes set towards the ultimate goal of playing at the next level.

"I only have two years left on my NCAA clock, so with me transferring to the University of Miami I'm going to do everything in my will and possible to make myself able to hit the NFL draft and I'll do my best to get there," he said.

When asked what excites him about the film he watched on Miami's defense last season, he noted the improvement Corn Elder.

"They did way better than the year before in tackles for losses and tackling better. Corn Elder became a better tackler and they became a better coverage team overall," Dean said.

It's been a common theme over the past few months, but one-year Cane Adrian Colbert had his hand in Dean's recruitment as well.

"We were sitting inside his room and he was giving my the insights of how I can come in and compete for the job and giving me the ins and outs of the defense. He was telling me that Coach Rumph is a really cool dude to be coached by. That was basically it -- he didn't really try to sway me to make a decision. He was just being honest with me," Dean explained.

Dean will be arriving at Miami in May. His measurables are something that has Canes fans excited as he is currently at 6-1, 184-pounds and said he was clocked running in the 4.3s as recently as last week. He does not foresee much of an adjustment period when it comes to the speed of the game or level of competition.

"I don't think there will be much with me having the experience as a JUCO guy, but there are still some things I haven't mastered down like technique-wise such as jamming wide receivers at the line of scrimmage -- I think Coach Rumph will do a good job of helping me with that," he said.

With just about a month until he enrolls at Miami, Dean's eyes are on the prize.

"I'm gonna show up on day one and work hard for a starting spot and hopefully we can get everything going on the right track and win games."

Last edited:
Advertisement
Peter,

Great podcast with Dean. Do you see him staying two years with UM or being a "one and done" with us if he becomes an immediate starter?

Thanks.

Peter,

Great podcast with Dean. Do you see him staying two years with UM or being a "one and done" with us if he becomes an immediate starter?

Thanks.

Not pete but he will be here 2 years. I dont see him starting next year but will play a lot.

Advertisement
Coach Colbertson is as smooth as butter. He gave him the soft sell and closed him like a champ.

It's been a common theme over the past few months, but one-year Cane Adrian Colbert had his hand in Dean's recruitment as well.

"We were sitting inside his room and he was giving my the insights of how I can come in and compete for the job and giving me the ins and outs of the defense. He was telling me that Coach Rumph is a really cool dude to be coached by. That was basically it -- he didn't really try to sway me to make a decision. He was just being honest with me," Dean explained.

It's been said before but it's worth repeating - if Adrian Colbert doesn't have a career in the NFL, I truly believe CMR should add him to the staff. Kid has more love for Miami than almost anyone I know, he's smart, and he appears to have a knack for recruitment.

Good write-up Pete! I always enjoy these stories focused on individual players. Let's hope this young man can contribute early and I'm looking forward to seeing him make plays this year.

Advertisement
Getting Dean and Delaney was so huge for this defense.

Add in the development of Malek Young and JJ at safety.

We got a pretty solid secondary to go along with an elite Front 7.

Cant. ***n. Wait.

Cant. ***n. Wait.

Not to mention they really believe Trajan Bandy will come in and play nickel right away. They'll blitz him a ton I'm sure.

I have high hopes for Dean.
With young sealing a spot. Do you think Dean will get burn more than Delaney?

Delaney as an all American fcs player has me very excited, I'm interested to see which one you think will have a bigger impact.

I know Dean has two years though

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Cant. ***n. Wait.

And Red back there balling too? Lawd ham mercy!

Advertisement

Cant. ***n. Wait.

Not to mention they really believe Trajan Bandy will come in and play nickel right away. They'll blitz him a ton I'm sure.

I can see Bandy walking right in and taking minutes. He's a smart instinctive player with no fear. The stage won't be too big for Bandy.

I started watching Malik Young film from last year, as I mentioned I would do in another thread. So far only watched the Pitt game.

One of the things I noticed was that Malik spent most of his time at field corner, although he did play boundary and even nickel on a snap or two. (I will save my full review and thoughts for after I've watched all the film)

Does anyone know where Dean played or projects?

Advertisement
Back