Cayden Baker, 2020 OT, SW Christian (Fort Myers)

Winston was highly rated.

McKinnie would be the best example - not Fox.

Chris Myers would be a solid local example.

I’m okay with this “take low rated athletic big guy and put necessary weight on him” theory but it’s gotta work. It’s cool to use Jason Fox and Eric Winston as examples of this theory working but we are really taking a lot of these types. I pray they pan out. Or we will be back in the portal in 2 years looking for a Tommy Kennedy 2.0

Advertisement
Winston was highly rated.

McKinnie would be the best example - not Fox.

Chris Myers would be a solid local example.

Agreed, Winston was the #2 TE in the country and a top 50 overall player. Dude was always a baller. It’s like taking Darnell Washington and converting him to an OT.

Advertisement
Barry isnt looking for fat dudes thats for sure.

He's all in on the athletic body types that need weight. I can dig it.

About time. I also like that these dudes are like 6'4+. We keep taking these 325 pound kids that can't move but somehow always ends up on their *** after plays. With a S&C program that I feel I can trust for the first time in a while I want players coming in smaller.

I hope coaches wait to see how Nelson Clark and El Gammal turn out . If they're ACC quality, then we can take on more projects. But with Smith and Washington already verballed, we need to make sure there are more low floor guys in the position group like Denis, and swing for the fences for Dumervil and Walker. Otherwise, I'd rather give the spot to a portal kid.

I’m okay with this “take low rated athletic big guy and put necessary weight on him” theory but it’s gotta work. It’s cool to use Jason Fox and Eric Winston as examples of this theory working but we are really taking a lot of these types. I pray they pan out. Or we will be back in the portal in 2 years looking for a Tommy Kennedy 2.0
Pretty sure OL rank has the lowest correlation to success out of any position.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agreed, Winston was the #2 TE in the country and a top 50 overall player. Dude was always a baller. It’s like taking Darnell Washington and converting him to an OT.

I worded that wrong. Yes, Winston was a 5*. What I meant was we can’t keep using him as an example of the success rate. He’s 1 of 1. Fox too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Doesn’t it make sense to provide not only a contingency plan but to also put pressure on Walker? Worst case scenario, he’s first out in the class if we don’t have room for him if we are hitting on studs in other positions I.e. Flowe, Washington, Tennison, etc.

Doesn’t it make sense to provide not only a contingency plan but to also put pressure on Walker? Worst case scenario, he’s first out in the class if we don’t have room for him if we are hitting on studs in other positions I.e. Flowe, Washington, Tennison, etc.

Yes in terms of contingency but Walker isn’t going care if some 3 star commits and rightfully so. Same thing that Flowe wouldn’t care about Mathis/Flagg/Cave etc. Walker is the crown jewel of this OL class.

We don’t need anymore projects in the class at any position. We already have one in Washington. Let’s get some actual dudes for remaining spots

And if we can’t, should we just leave the spots empty? Nothing wrong with having options. Blue chips aren’t exactly beating on our door right now. I think we should take this kid regardless of if Walker comes, that’s JMO.

Advertisement
Wasn’t there a offensive line coach who came in from the NFL and recruited lots of projects like this and Washington and Smith but didn’t do too well? Not saying that’s what’s gonna happen but it just popped in my head.

We arent going to take more than 5 OL.

We have 3 committed: Rivers, Smith, C. Washington

We expect Denis and fingers crossed for Walker.

But we are still recruiting kids. Because we should. Because you never know what can happen. If Dumervil wants in, you take him and clear someone out. If someone flakes, you maybe have this kid as an option. If you’re in line with this kid and he has a stand out season, you clear space for him. This is what coaches are supposed to do in recruiting.

Advertisement
Back