Cayden Baker, 2020 OT, SW Christian (Fort Myers)

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Interesting kid who just got an offer. Really big, DE and TE as a junior. Offensive highlights start at about the 3:49 mark. Also plays hopos.

Obviously a projection offer but the body type and athletic background is very intriguing.

Advertisement
Interesting kid who just got an offer. Really big, DE and TE as a junior. Offensive highlights start at about the 3:49 mark. Obviously a projection offer but the body type and athletic background is very intriguing.

Seems to be the theme.

Advertisement
Barry isnt looking for fat dudes thats for sure.

He's all in on the athletic body types that need weight. I can dig it.

Ik Ik this is a brobible article, but this reminded me of Joe thomas. Extremely athletic guys who put on weight by choice because the job demands it, but are still freak athletes.

Advertisement
Barry isnt looking for fat dudes thats for sure.

He's all in on the athletic body types that need weight. I can dig it.
Agreed 100% The analytics provide strong evidence that this is the way to go regarding OL projections. Take kids that are big and strong yet athletic. 6'4" 270+ kids who can add weight to their frame without losing the ability to move. @Lance Roffers was discussing this in his excellent "Legs Race" series. It is 3 parts and is a must read. Very insightful and informative.

Ik Ik this is a brobible article, but this reminded me of Joe thomas. Extremely athletic guys who put on weight by choice because the job demands it, but are still freak athletes.

"Extremely athletic guys who put on weight by choice because the job demands it, but are still freak athletes."

This! This is the key and I believe our staff is planning on building our OL according to this philosophy. I'm going to tell you guys right now....If Manny can succeed in transforming this OL and by that I don't just mean this year or next. I am talking about a complete systematic change in the way UM builds their OL. If Diaz can turn our OL into being a strength on a consistent basis then this program will have the legit opportunity to reach elite status and stay there.

By project I think they mean bring in athletic big men and add weight to them while keeping their athleticism. That’s the type of projected player that will turn out for you more often than not versus say a low end 3* that we took like back in Golden’s era.

Advertisement
New breed of offensive tackles. Get a highly athletic kid in and add the pounds on him through S&C. No longer necessary to look for the 300 plus pounder out of HS who may or may not be that athletic and try to fit him into your scheme as those natural 300 plus poundersr that are really athletic are not that common.

Advertisement
^^^ Agreed. Give me nimble feet and athleticism all day and on Sundays over a bigger player who outweighs his HS competition by 80-100lbs and just manages to get in the way of the defenders. I’d rather have a mean SOB at 260-270lbs and work him up then have to work the fat off of him.

Would love to hear more about this.

Ask the crew at practices to watch him. I hear good progress is being made by the young man especially weight wise. Not getting 1st or 2nd team reps but no one expects that of him. Barry's kind of athlete.

Advertisement
Back