Carol City High Football

Advertisement
Markeith Cooper, Cecil Sapp, Kevin Ferguson, Jamal Berry. Lots of good individual players over the years, just never broke through to win State. Consistently very good, but rarely a genuine title threat.

No idea how it is as a school now. VERY mixed bag of economic backgrounds (Pinecrest, East Kendall, West Perrine, part of Palmetto Estates) when my family members were last there.
Jaamal Berry was the truth. He grew up a die hard canes. Randy offering lamar miller exclusively and not them both was dumb. But thats the same guy who avoided central… petty.

Berry went to Ohio st cuz he loved the U too much to attend UF or FSU. Thats my era of ball.

Jaamal Berry was the truth. He grew up a die hard canes. Randy offering lamar miller exclusively and not them both was dumb. But thats the same guy who avoided central… petty.

Berry went to Ohio st cuz he loved the U too much to attend UF or FSU. Thats my era of ball.
I had high hopes for J Berry. He was sooooo fast. Unfortunately, he made a couple of mistakes that cost him.

Likely the now state-sanctioned (but always occuring) annual "free agency" migration of Florida high school athletes to programs they see that have a chance at a State Title.

If I recalled correctly, back in the 1970s and 1980s, kids in Dade County were allowed to transfer to a school outside their neighborhood if they were minority ethnic class to school they were moving to...I believe this rule was created in the early 1970s to speed up integration of schools. So back then we had some athletes transferring around, but not at the rate we see these days. I wonder if this rule exists today.

It’s the wild Wild West players are changing schools so much you can’t keep up-

Take Westerns two players for example Davi Belfort he started out at STA then transferred to WPB Cardinal Newman then left went to Gulliver prep then enrolled at Western this year-

Tovani Mizell RB started out at a
Stranahan then went to WPB Cardinal Newman then left there out of state to DeMatha Catholic in Maryland left there enrolled at Western-
It’s the state of high school football at this time.

Advertisement
their main base of kids (the ravens ) kids ended up at chaminade or other privates b4 going there.

They had a few starters go to Norland as well. Then youhave the usual Miramar kids that they split.

Basically the area is getting raided and right now they are not the "in" school.

Norland took a million tranfers and we see whats going on currently.

Vernon Wilder is the new head coach and alumni if yallr emember he was the other lb with Willie Williams.

Basically after every szn you have to rerecruit your own kids..because as they crave to play on these 7 on 7 teams they are being recruited by other hs coaches who are on those 7 on 7 teams and players. You get 1 or 2 to come with big names and the others flock to your school like sheep.
Its annoying as ****...on top of that..you can build up a kid get him offers and get that For my SR year i will be ...thanks to all my coaches post to one of the private schools as well.

Its dog eat dog out there in s.fla high school sports.

their main base of kids (the ravens ) kids ended up at chaminade or other privates b4 going there.

They had a few starters go to Norland as well. Then youhave the usual Miramar kids that they split.

Basically the area is getting raided and right now they are not the "in" school.

Norland took a million tranfers and we see whats going on currently.

Vernon Wilder is the new head coach and alumni if yallr emember he was the other lb with Willie Williams.

Basically after every szn you have to rerecruit your own kids..because as they crave to play on these 7 on 7 teams they are being recruited by other hs coaches who are on those 7 on 7 teams and players. You get 1 or 2 to come with big names and the others flock to your school like sheep.
Its annoying as ****...on top of that..you can build up a kid get him offers and get that For my SR year i will be ...thanks to all my coaches post to one of the private schools as well.

Its dog eat dog out there in s.fla high school sports.

This **** will forever boggle my mind. Dudes really not territorial or prideful about they streets anymore. I used to love seeing all the successful alumni that came through Norland before me...just like i love seeing them youngins play these days still win or lose. These days only when it comes to 🔫 I guess it's time to rep yo hood.

If I recalled correctly, back in the 1970s and 1980s, kids in Dade County were allowed to transfer to a school outside their neighborhood if they were minority ethnic class to school they were moving to...I believe this rule was created in the early 1970s to speed up integration of schools. So back then we had some athletes transferring around, but not at the rate we see these days. I wonder if this rule exists today.
Over here on the west coast of Florida, they had "magnet schools." Say one school didn't have a particular program or wasn't as advanced as one of the others (say ESE, FFA, or Shop classes) . If another school had the program, a kid's parent/guardian could request that class, and they were given permission to transfer. You know how adaptable high school coaches were at using that.

We had one county where the HC's wife was on the school board; she'd adjust her husband's school boundary in some funny ways. A great athlete might live on a certain block, and magically the line would be moved to include him in the coach's school.

Advertisement
I agree, times are just different. Played FB and baseball at Palmetto in early 80’s and would never have thought to transfer to Southridge, Killian or any private school even though I played Legion ball with those guys in the summer.
I remember beating Palmetto 10-7 in '82 against the highly touted Kelly Zeigler and George Mira Jr when at CGHS.

Over here on the west coast of Florida, they had "magnet schools." Say one school didn't have a particular program or wasn't as advanced as one of the others (say ESE, FFA, or Shop classes) . If another school had the program, a kid's parent/guardian could request that class, and they were given permission to transfer. You know how adaptable high school coaches were at using that.

We had one county where the HC's wife was on the school board; she'd adjust her husband's school boundary in some funny ways. A great athlete might live on a certain block, and magically the line would be moved to include him in the coach's school.
I hear you… they’re doing some funny stuff with school zones in Orange County too. For those who know anything about these neighborhoods/areas the way it’s split up is weird. The yellow is Dr. Phillips district.

It’s a couple of neighborhoods on here who are on their 3rd school due to rezoning in 10 years when the neighborhood had been historically tied to one school for forever.

756A0FA3-0994-41D3-93E9-B63E20B88E27.png

Lol, even the best jockey can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a mule.

Districts long redlined attendance zones to keep black students concentrated and away from certain schools.

Eventually football coaches got involved and were like, "Hey, we need those kids to win games."

I remember beating Palmetto 10-7 in '82 against the highly touted Kelly Zeigler and George Mira Jr when at CGHS.
Yep they were a year younger than me. I graduated ‘81and played with Manny Ziegler in ‘80. Played bb and fb with Mobley. He’s uniform police on game days for the Jags now. Gables had RB Chris Sime back back then who went on to play at Duke. His younger sister is Christian McAffery’s mom.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back