Carlton Davis Commits To Ohio State

He will be a cane when it's all said and done.

I hope your right. But we ran 3rd on this one. He had it down to OSU and USCe several weeks ago.

You seem to be informed with this one. So where do you think he ends up?

I can't answer that. We all know how fluid recruiting is. We have 6 months to change his mind.

I'll say this, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about our DB recruiting as of 8/12/14.

Advertisement
Serious question for a second... How much does our current depth hurt us with kids who want to get in the two deep as true freshmen? Do you guys think Carlton might be thinking about our depth or no?

This might be the best we've look in the secondary in 10 years.
The only way to be great is to stockpile talent. Our depth chart isn't that scary. It's good but not amazing. Look at the amount of blue chip prospects bama gets and they are LOADED.

I'll say this, I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about our DB recruiting as of 8/12/14.

Nor should you have that feeling. We have zero DB commits. We have a ton of excellent talent in our backyard and none are committed.

- Cole
- Irvin
- SBB
- Johnson
- C. Davis
- D. Davis
- T. McFadden
- K. McFadden

Again nobody is expecting that we get all of the above. Nobody is saying we should get 75% either. How about 4 of the 8? How about we take 4 of these guys?

Advertisement
Everyone is in sky is falling mode for a kid that says he is a soft commit the day he commits, bigger fish out there we are pursuing, not trying to paint a positive picture, its just the truth

Everyone is in sky is falling mode for a kid that says he is a soft commit the day he commits, bigger fish out there we are pursuing, not trying to paint a positive picture, its just the truth

Should we celebrate after a local kid commits to another school?

People tell it both ways. If he committed to us, great and I would be happy even though everything above could still be true (he is a soft commit and we're recruiting bigger fish).

5 of the 8 names on that list are committed elsewhere. They could end up here but for now it isn't a good feeling.

Irvin Meyers has Al's number. To walk into our backyard again and take another guy we want is unacceptable. And is not like Ohio Taint had a great pass defense to pitch to Davis.

We have compiled a staff built on recruiting acumen and local ties. Just can't let stuff like this happen as often as it does if we want to rise back up.

Irvin Meyers has Al's number. To walk into our backyard again and take another guy we want is unacceptable. And is not like Ohio Taint had a great pass defense to pitch to Davis.

We have compiled a staff built on recruiting acumen and local ties. Just can't let stuff like this happen as often as it does if we want to rise back up.

Yes. This is the puzzling part.

Advertisement
certainly nothing positive about this... but not end of the world either... surprised a Norland kid would got to OSU

And before all the "UM has never signed more than ___ guys from South Florida even when we were winning National Championships" guys jump in here with that schpiel, I concede that we are getting the same amount of local guys. UM will always get as many local guys as we need to fill out the roster.

The argument isn't AMOUNT of local recruits; the argument is about getting the lion's share of top local guys that we want, not just chilling out the roster with 2nd choices after other programs raid the area.

And before all the "UM has never signed more than ___ guys from South Florida even when we were winning National Championships" guys jump in here with that schpiel, I concede that we are getting the same amount of local guys. UM will always get as many local guys as we need to fill out the roster.

The argument isn't AMOUNT of local recruits; the argument is about getting the lion's share of top local guys that we want, not just chilling out the roster with 2nd choices after other programs raid the area.

Quality > Quantity

Quality > Quantity

And that's the biggest issue with the 2015 class right now. The class is dam near full numbers-wise and the only true blue-chippers are in the RB group.

There's a lot of time left to improve it, but a bunch of commits will need to be pushed out in favor of better talent in order for it to look the way we all want it to look come February. And it's strange how selective they're being at CB by not even recruiting guys like Causey (inexplicable that he hasn't been offered), Fenton (slow, but good ball skills), and Howard. Especially since they've accepted commitments from some really questionable takes, especially along the OL. The inconsistency there is glaring.

By completely neglecting potential backup plans in case we don't land our top targets, this has a chance to blow up in their faces very badly.

Advertisement

Should we celebrate after a local kid commits to another school?

People tell it both ways. If he committed to us, great and I would be happy even though everything above could still be true (he is a soft commit and we're recruiting bigger fish).

5 of the 8 names on that list are committed elsewhere. They could end up here but for now it isn't a good feeling.

Our targets are irvin, jaquan, davante davis, and cole, only one of them are committed somewhere and has said to be not committed there for long, idk what list you are talking about

Not saying we should celebrate of course not im ****ed that he aint here too, but hes not going to make or break this DB class, the kid has potential but many feel including myself that there are better prospects that we have a good chance of getting, plus the dam kid is saying he is a soft commit on the day he committed, thats like the equivalent to saying yea ohio state is my leader at the moment, chill out and lets see how things play out

Last edited:
Well ****, that is disappointing, particularly since him committing to UM seemed to be a forgone conclusion

I'd love to know what Paul Williams has ever done on the recruiting trail when unassisted by Barrow or Hurlie?

The more telling thing here is that DB's don't seem to want to play in this system and can you honestly blame them? They're neutered in this Big 10 scheme

Advertisement
Our targets are irvin, jaquan, davante davis, and cole, only one of them are committed somewhere and has said to be not committed there for long, idk what list you are talking about

Not saying we should celebrate of course not im ****ed that he aint here too, but hes not going to make or break this DB class, the kid has potential but many feel including myself that there are better prospects that we have a good chance of getting, plus the dam kid is saying he is a soft commit on the day he committed, thats like the equivalent to saying yea ohio state is my leader at the moment, chill out and lets see how things play out

Our targets are more than those. You choose to only mention those...

A target is someone who has an offer and/or you try to recruit (so the following would be targets)

C. Davis (committed to OSU),
SBB (committed to Bama)
T. McFadden (not committed to anyone), and
K. McFadden (committed to WVU)

So that list is 8 names. 4 are committed to other schools (C. Davis, Cole and K. McFadden and SBB). Even if you don't count SBB because he may play WR, we still have a long way to go. In addition, there are no guarantees with Irvin,D. Davis, Cole and/or Johnson. As of 8/12 they're not committed to Miami.

Neither of the McFadden's are being actively recruited.

Can someone explain how it's inexplicable that Rashard Causey doesn't have an offer? He has no big offers.

Neither of the McFadden's are being actively recruited.

Can someone explain how it's inexplicable that Rashard Causey doesn't have an offer? He has no big offers.

So neither McFadden has an offer from UM.

T. McFadden has offers from EVERYONE.

K. McFadden has a ton of offers too (Bama, Auburn, UF and TAMpon).

Perhaps we should recruit them harder because we have ZERO DB commits?

Quality > Quantity

And that's the biggest issue with the 2015 class right now. The class is dam near full numbers-wise and the only true blue-chippers are in the RB group.

There's a lot of time left to improve it, but a bunch of commits will need to be pushed out in favor of better talent in order for it to look the way we all want it to look come February.

By completely neglecting potential backup plans in case we don't land our top targets, this has a chance to blow up in their faces very badly.

Agreed. We have 6 OL commits too, at some point it is too many.

Advertisement
Back