Canesville video on Spring Practice day 1

Advertisement
W
In all honesty, got to raise the talent level a few notches for that to really happen.. I dont care how hard you make practice, it wont be harder than a game, only if you have super talented players that are wayy better than your opponents littered up and down your roster.. Games are soo draining, its another level..

Now if you got 5 stars looking to take your spot or you lined up against the best db/wr in nation daily, thats different. Only a few teams in nation can truly say practice is harder and i guarantee you they got top talent for days
Without getting into all the rest I'm simply gonna say that's not at all true... You practice to your expectations REGARDLESS of your talent level. That's what player development is. I never understand these people who act like our history is just loaded with 5 star kids up and down our roster. Yes we ran the draft, that didn't correlate to how we recruited all top heavy kids however. That isn't our history and it takes the credit away from coaching staffs who did AMAZING jobs developing alot of kids who in most people's eyes should've had no expectations on ever making a difference on the field.

Advertisement
W

Without getting into all the rest I'm simply gonna say that's not at all true... You practice to your expectations REGARDLESS of your talent level. That's what player development is. I never understand these people who act like our history is just loaded with 5 star kids up and down our roster. Yes we ran the draft, that didn't correlate to how we recruited all top heavy kids however. That isn't our history and it takes the credit away from coaching staffs who did AMAZING jobs developing alot of kids who in most people's eyes should've had no expectations on ever making a difference on the field.
You can make practices hard, but harder than games? Not taking anything away from coaches who work hard or any credit just hard to get the intensity of lets say fsu/miami 4th quarter in OB with spring practice is all I am saying.. That level of intensity, energy exerted, adrenaline is not normal no matter how hard practice is (which can still be extremely hard also, not saying its easy)

You can make practices hard, but harder than games? Not taking anything away from coaches who work hard or any credit just hard to get the intensity of lets say fsu/miami 4th quarter in OB with spring practice is all I am saying.. That level of intensity, energy exerted, adrenaline is not normal no matter how hard practice is (which can still be extremely hard also, not saying its easy)
Throughout my years in college the ONLY times practice wasn't harder than Saturdays was walk throughs. Past that we had 3 days a week that we busted *** so that come Saturday we were prepared for anything and everything and it simply made games an extended Thursday... We practiced so hard that games were a way for us to have fun & show the country we had a different bar.

I'm seeing a lot of detailed instruction on the field. That's good.
It slows down practice a little bit but it's necessary at this point, because we just started spring and kids are learning new ****.

Brashard Smith struggling to get through the WR drill.
This is exactly why some of yall need to calm your expectations for some of these kids. Yall get infatuated with these explosive kids that have good highlight tapes in high school, and don't realize that some of them are extremely raw and will need an adjustment period when they reach a level of football that's more complex. This is the kid that some of yall thought would put Restrepo on the bench, and he can't even get through a drill. Got Gattis out there about to lose his mind.

Throughout my years in college the ONLY times practice wasn't harder than Saturdays was walk throughs. Past that we had 3 days a week that we busted *** so that come Saturday we were prepared for anything and everything and it simply made games an extended Thursday... We practiced so hard that games were a way for us to have fun & show the country we had a different bar.

Church!

x factor GIF

Advertisement
I'm seeing a lot of detailed instruction on the field. That's good.
It slows down practice a little bit but it's necessary at this point, because we just started spring and kids are learning new ****.

Brashard Smith struggling to get through the WR drill.
This is exactly why some of yall need to calm your expectations for some of these kids. Yall get infatuated with these explosive kids that have good highlight tapes in high school, and don't realize that some of them are extremely raw and will need an adjustment period when they reach a level of football that's more complex. This is the kid that some of yall thought would put Restrepo on the bench, and he can't even get through a drill. Got Gattis out there about to lose his mind.
To be fair restrepo got him out here losing his mind too. Simply keeping it a buck with y'all, gattis knows he's gotta coach these kids from the ground up and none of them are in a better spot then the next except for Ladson because he atleast has received a level of coaching where he knows the basics... That's not to say he doesn't see the potential of them because he does. But as u see from this lil clip he's having to teach these kids EVERYTHING from the ground up because they previously weren't taught how to do it. Something as simple as a stance and the reason for that stance. How is that lost on y'all.

To be fair restrepo got him out here losing his mind too. Simply keeping it a buck with y'all, gattis knows he's gotta coach these kids from the ground up and none of them are in a better spot then the next except for Ladson because he atleast has received a level of coaching where he knows the basics... That's not to say he doesn't see the potential of them because he does. But as u see from this lil clip he's having to teach these kids EVERYTHING from the ground up because they previously weren't taught how to do it. Something as simple as a stance and the reason for that stance. How is that lost on y'all.
I thought Likens was supposed to be an elite WR coach.

But as u see from this lil clip he's having to teach these kids EVERYTHING from the ground up because they previously weren't taught how to do it. Something as simple as a stance and the reason for that stance. How is that lost on y'all.
Dee, how much of this is new/different drills, stances, etc that the new staff wants to instill, VS how badly coached/poor tendencies have carried over from the previous staff?

I would think there is at least some transition period with new coordinators as to what they teach, how they teach it, etc. But I have no knowledge of how common any given coaching technique is, in the coaching community at large.

I thought Likens was supposed to be an elite WR coach.
No different t-rob was supposed to be an upper tier db coach. But you have limitations when you're coaching technique inside of someone else's system. Quite possibly some of his teachings wasn't synonymous with lashlee vision... I like likens overall but some things I saw out of him concerned me.

Advertisement
Dee, how much of this is new/different drills, stances, etc that the new staff wants to instill, VS how badly coached/poor tendencies have carried over from the previous staff?

I would think there is at least some transition period with new coordinators as to what they teach, how they teach it, etc. But I have no knowledge of how common any given coaching technique is, in the coaching community at large.
Great question. To qualify that statement I'll say most people on here have always assumed I have some sort of issue beyond the obvious with the last staff. My only issue has always been they in large part should've never been employed by this university. Now to answer your question,normally a staff would love to be going straight into coaching up the new system. However in our instance beyond the QB room our kids are so I'll prepared that to this point all we have got into is fundamentals and installing basic techniques. That's all on previous staph.

No different t-rob was supposed to be an upper tier db coach. But you have limitations when you're coaching technique inside of someone else's system. Quite possibly some of his teachings wasn't synonymous with lashlee vision... I like likens overall but some things I saw out of him concerned me.
Was Likens more in the "future OC that happens to teach WR" mold? If so that may help explain why our WRs might be behind fundamentally.

Was Likens more in the "future OC that happens to teach WR" mold? If so that may help explain why our WRs might be behind fundamentally.
Nah. Likens is a legit wr coach. He's coached up plenty of talent. For me I think his main issue is he's never coached in a system similar to what lashlee was doing and the techniques he taught weren't common in his system.

Advertisement
Great question. To qualify that statement I'll say most people on here have always assumed I have some sort of issue beyond the obvious with the last staff. My only issue has always been they in large part should've never been employed by this university. Now to answer your question,normally a staff would love to be going straight into coaching up the new system. However in our instance beyond the QB room our kids are so I'll prepared that to this point all we have got into is fundamentals and installing basic techniques. That's all on previous staph.
I might look at things different than most but to me this is great news. The past is the past, cant change it now but... The fact that this team was so poorly coached and is so behind in fundamentals only means there is a greater window for improvement. It indicates our we are nowhere near our ceiling and thats exciting.

When talking about basic fundamentals, I immediately look to our tackling: 127 out of 130 last year, dead last in the P5. Tough to not blame the staff for that, especially when we find out they didn’t tackle in practice.

Hopefully there are a few kids that take to the new coaching and have the light come on. I’d love it to be Ivey - big and physical, and a constant target 🎯 of the fan base (myself included, at times).

Nah. Likens is a legit wr coach. He's coached up plenty of talent. For me I think his main issue is he's never coached in a system similar to what lashlee was doing and the techniques he taught weren't common in his system.
That also makes sense.

Advertisement
Back