CanesInsight 2012 Depth Chart

Andrew

All American
Administrator
I say we pick a position and talk about it for a few days and then vote on the depth chart for it. It would be fun to see how it changes from now, at the end of spring and during the fall.

Thoughts on how we should do this?

Advertisement
Love the idea, Drew. A thread and a poll for each position should do it.

The way to do this would be to make the depth chart a Google Docs Spreadsheet that updates based on a poll/form/survey. We post the link to the poll's form, and a read-only spreadsheet that sorts based on those results. We could also give editor access to additional info built into the public spreadsheet on each player so that we can crowd-source a bio/stats/news/etc from trusted editors wiki-style.

I'd be happy to contribute to this but it will take some work, and I don't want to waste any effort going in the wrong direction. Is one of the current mods taking the lead on this project?

The way to do this would be to make the depth chart a Google Docs Spreadsheet that updates based on a poll/form/survey. We post the link to the poll's form, and a read-only spreadsheet that sorts based on those results. We could also give editor access to additional info built into the public spreadsheet on each player so that we can crowd-source a bio/stats/news/etc from trusted editors wiki-style.

I'd be happy to contribute to this but it will take some work, and I don't want to waste any effort going in the wrong direction. Is one of the current mods taking the lead on this project?

Would the spreadsheet auto update from poll results? If so how? Overall it sounds like a good idea.

Advertisement

Would the spreadsheet auto update from poll results? If so how? Overall it sounds like a good idea.

I guess it could since you could give it a function like you would in microsoft excel

How would it pull data? I imagine someone would have to enter the variables.

Sounds like a cool idea, I don't know what to suggest to make it happen so i'll leave it up to the smarter folks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
How would it pull data? I imagine someone would have to enter the variables.

It can all be automated with google docs, and while I typically do financial modeling this is something I can handle. If it's ok with you guys I'll take the lead on setting it all up.

ok go for it.

I'll get working on a more concrete gameplan so I can start getting ideas early next week. Step 1 is setting up a google account for the board so you can expect a pm with that information. My initial priority will be just a poll tied to a depth chart, once that's established we can explore the fancier stuff.

Advertisement
brcane1 any if googledocs support being embed into a webpage? If so I can do it.

brcane1 any if googledocs support being embed into a webpage? If so I can do it.

Well the docs/forms would function as a standalone Pages by default, but I'm pretty sure they both allow for embedding in HTML. Whether that works within this boards HTML post edit system we shall see.

For security reasons only admins can use HTML and their post. So I could post the embed. I could also embed it into a free standing page on this site as well.

Advertisement
Back