Canes Weekly: Brad Kaaya and the Canes make a statement

ErickMarreroU

Staff Writer
Premium
sfl-photos-um-at-appalachian-state-20160917-015.jpg

One of the most dominant performances in recent memory happened yesterday, when the Miami Hurricanes obliterated Appalachian State 45-10. The Canes came out with a no-mercy mindset, dominating from start to finish. Experts like ESPN’s Lee Corso, Scott Van Pell and other notable analysts predicted Appalachian State would beat the #25 Miami Hurricanes.

Boy were they wrong! Miami quarterback, Brad Kaaya, had a field day against the Appalachian State defense. Throwing 21/27 368 yards 3 TD & 1 INT.

Right out of the gate, on the first play for the Hurricanes, running back (SO) Mark Walton broke one tackle and he was off to the races, 1 play 0:12 80 yard score to give the Canes a 7-0 lead. Brad Kaaya threw with 2 TD in the first quarter to TE David Njoku & WR Stacy Coley.

Freshman WR Ahmmon Richards had a career day, with 4 catches for 142 yards, and Richards now holds the Canes’ freshman receiving record with (142) yards in one game. His most notable grab came on a 3rd & 10, and QB Brad Kaaya bombs one deep to Richards, and he flies past everyone in secondary and comes up with a huge grab.

The Canes’ defense has been known in the “Al Folded” era to botch up opportunities in very key moments. Manny Diaz and his defense are looking to change that culture and they’re on the right track. There’s one play in particular that really impressed me and this is a situation that the Mark D’Onofrio defense would’ve completely missed. It’s the beginning of the second quarter and Appalachian St. has the football on 4th & 1 and Miami (JR) Chad Thomas and (SO) Kendrick Norton completely blew up the App St. QB.

If you still think the Hurricanes defensive is “suspect” here are some defensive stats that might change your mind:

Defensive Rankings:

- 3rd in the nation with 217 Yards per game
- Tied for 5th in the nation 13.0 Sacks through the first 3 games.
- 10th in the nation in total rushing yards allowed in 195
- 17th in the nation in total passing yards allowing with 457
- 29th in the nation in defensive efficiency with 74.2

Multiple analysts and the vegas betting lines clearly don’t respect the #15 Miami Hurricanes, but here’s a news flash for them… This Canes' team will now embrace the noise, and they will silence the noise. Under "Al Folded" the Miami teams would "Ignore the Noise" this team has that true Miami swagger and they don't care if you're App St., FAMU, or Florida State, they're going to give it there till the final whistle.

I’ll save my prediction for next week, but just know there’s a storm brewing in Coral Gables and the “Sleeping Giant” has awoken.

Advertisement
My article on CCNNLive.com is more interactive, a lot of gifs and pictures. I will post the link here once it posted on the website #GoCanes

View attachment 38721

One of the most dominant performances in recent memory happened yesterday, when the Miami Hurricanes obliterated Appalachian State 45-10. The Canes came out with a no-mercy mindset, dominating from start to finish. Experts like ESPN’s Lee Corso, Scott Van Pell and other notable analysts predicted Appalachian State would beat the #25 Miami Hurricanes.

Boy were they wrong! Miami quarterback, Brad Kaaya, had a field day against the Appalachian State defense. Throwing 21/27 368 yards 3 TD & 1 INT.

Right out of the gate, on the first play for the Hurricanes, running back (SO) Mark Walton broke one tackle and he was off to the races, 1 play 0:12 80 yard score to give the Canes a 7-0 lead. Brad Kaaya threw with 2 TD in the first quarter to TE David Njoku & WR Stacy Coley.

Freshman WR Ahmmon Richards had a career day, with 4 catches for 142 yards, and Richards now holds the Canes’ freshman receiving record with (142) yards in one game. His most notable grab came on a 3rd & 10, and QB Brad Kaaya bombs one deep to Richards, and he flies past everyone in secondary and comes up with a huge grab.

The Canes’ defense has been known in the “Al Folded” era to botch up opportunities in very key moments. Manny Diaz and his defense are looking to change that culture and they’re on the right track. There’s one play in particular that really impressed me and this is a situation that the Mark D’Onofrio defense would’ve completely missed. It’s the beginning of the second quarter and Appalachian St. has the football on 4th & 1 and Miami (JR) Chad Thomas and (SO) Kendrick Norton completely blew up the App St. QB.

If you still think the Hurricanes defensive is “suspect” here are some defensive stats that might change your mind:

Defensive Rankings:

- 3rd in the nation with 217 Yards per game
- Tied for 5th in the nation 13.0 Sacks through the first 3 games.
- 10th in the nation in total rushing yards allowed in 195
- 17th in the nation in total passing yards allowing with 457
- 29th in the nation in defensive efficiency with 74.2

Multiple analysts and the vegas betting lines clearly don’t respect the #15 Miami Hurricanes, but here’s a news flash for them… This Canes' team will now embrace the noise, and they will silence the noise. Under "Al Folded" the Miami teams would "Ignore the Noise" this team has that true Miami swagger and they don't care if you're App St., FAMU, or Florida State, they're going to give it there till the final whistle.

I’ll save my prediction for next week, but just know there’s a storm brewing in Coral Gables and the “Sleeping Giant” has awoken.

Man- fantastic write- I luv ya - if u aren't married, I'd do ya, lol.

The defense deserves the respect of not mentioning the old coaches anymore. Move on. Also. You guys need to start proof reading in more detail. Pete is a professional at this point. Your work product is your brand.

Advertisement
Thanks for the info and the effort. You write like a child, not saying that's a bad thing all the time.

Good article, but watch your tenses.

It would read better if you had have said, "His most notable grab came on a 3rd and 10, when QB Brad Kaaya bombed one deep to Richards as he flew past everyone in the secondary and came up with a huge grab."

Must be a bunch old teachers on the board. Good stuff and well written for the intended impact.

Advertisement
I'm actually more impressed with the feedback in that it is encouraging yet direct. We can all see the passion behind your words - keep grinding and seek out people who aren't going to coddle you to help you improve.

This thing you guys are doing...what is it? It's not sarcasm or mocking (much). Nobody called OP a cvnt. Hmmmmm. It's not "positive criticism" is it? Did I say that right, positive criticism? Not even sure what it is, but I heard somebody talk about it once.

This thing you guys are doing...what is it? It's not sarcasm or mocking (much). Nobody called OP a cvnt. Hmmmmm. It's not "positive criticism" is it? Did I say that right, positive criticism? Not even sure what it is, but I heard somebody talk about it once.

constructive criticism?

Advertisement

constructive criticism?
Apparently. I looked it up...

"Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. The purpose of 'constructive criticism is to improve the outcome."

I don't get what's so funny about that, and I have no idea what "improving the outcome" could mean.

They would be doing him a disservice to turn a blind eye and pretend it wasn't a little hard to read the article, being an ******* would be leading him to believe it was well written. That being said, it's not like it was a complete bomb. Article was decent, just needs a couple corrections.

Advertisement

constructive criticism?

"Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one. The purpose of 'constructive criticism is to improve the outcome."

I don't get what's so funny about that, and I have no idea what "improving the outcome" could mean.

There was no humor intended, I was simply suggesting by asking. Thanks for researching the definition, and have answered your own question "positive criticism?"

constructive criticism?

There was no humor intended, I was simply suggesting by asking. Thanks for researching the definition, and have answered your own question "positive criticism?"

*sigh* I know.

constructive criticism?

*sigh* I know.

how about if we try to define improving the outcome as I think that is open for debate, particularly with us CANES.

I would say that we're already seeing improved outcomes in every area with respect to the last several years. Moving forward, I'd like to see improved run blocking and a significant reduction in penalties.

Advertisement
Back