Canes vs. Thomas Jefferson

Advertisement
My goodness, we have seven scholarship players in the rotation and we are young on top of it. We have a kid playing who two year ago could barely dribble and is now a passable ACC Center as a soph. We play in the toughest conference in America, with some saying the toughest ever.

Off the court we have the highest rated recruiting class in our program's history.

Despite all of this, I actually see people questioning Coach L? We are 9-6 in said toughest conference. We are 19-8 overall with wins over Virginia, North Carolina, and a few other solid teams. In what was supposed to be a down year we are **** near a lock for the tournament.

Yet there are those who would utter a single bad word about Coach L? Holy mother of pearl, given the resources at his disposal compared to his competition every other coach on campus should be aspiring to be Coach L. This dude walks on water in my mind and we are beyond lucky to have him.

Absolute madness what goes on around message boards these days, but we can do better, fellas. We can do better.

Not sure how Coach L never ended up with a big time job before UM. Maybe he didn't want it until he came here. But he can coach with anybody in the country IMHO.

Coach L is a Godsend. UM should be thanking its stars he reached out and wanted the job. Pure good fortune!

The skinny: We overcame an uncharacteristically poor shooting night to beat a ranked team on the road.

I mean they are one of the best defensive teams in the country.

If the purpose of your comment is to disparage this win, it's not working.

There is an overload of stupidity in this thread, but I think the comment is to point out Virginia's good defense may have lead to our poor shooting.

Advertisement
My goodness, we have seven scholarship players in the rotation and we are young on top of it. We have a kid playing who two year ago could barely dribble and is now a passable ACC Center as a soph. We play in the toughest conference in America, with some saying the toughest ever.

Off the court we have the highest rated recruiting class in our program's history.

Despite all of this, I actually see people questioning Coach L? We are 9-6 in said toughest conference. We are 19-8 overall with wins over Virginia, North Carolina, and a few other solid teams. In what was supposed to be a down year we are **** near a lock for the tournament.

Yet there are those who would utter a single bad word about Coach L? Holy mother of pearl, given the resources at his disposal compared to his competition every other coach on campus should be aspiring to be Coach L. This dude walks on water in my mind and we are beyond lucky to have him.

Absolute madness what goes on around message boards these days, but we can do better, fellas. We can do better.

It all starts and ends at AustinCane. Just reeks of negativity and brings out the worst of the whole board.

Fixed.

Not sure how Coach L never ended up with a big time job before UM. Maybe he didn't want it until he came here. But he can coach with anybody in the country IMHO.

Doris Burke mentioned on the broadcast he could have had the Providence job (his alma mater), which is not a mid-major. No reason to doubt her on this, as she is also a Providence alum with a lot of inside connections to that program.

The skinny: We overcame an uncharacteristically poor shooting night to beat a ranked team on the road.

There is an overload of stupidity in this thread, but I think the comment is to point out Virginia's good defense may have lead to our poor shooting.

Correct. They are #1 in the country in points allowed. Most teams have a bad offensive night against them

Advertisement

I thought the fact that that was the point of the comment was totally obvious.

I had felt that "ranked team" didn't necessarily mean one of the best defenses in the country, so I felt like making sure it was mentioned ;)

I had felt that "ranked team" didn't necessarily mean one of the best defenses in the country, so I felt like making sure it was mentioned ;)

Thank you.

I don't think anyone on this board thought this was an NCAA team. Now here we are.

Don't look now but we are in play for an ACC top 4 seed and double bye.

Advertisement
i'm willing to hear a little criticism of L for this season in particular because if you're only playing 7 scholarship players and have no injuries you've clearly mismanaged the roster a bit. i agree that the team's play in the last 6 games has been amazing given the circumstances, but they're circumstances that were under L's control. obv i think the guy should have a lifetime contract here but this season has been a weird one.

that being said to my eyes brown and izundu might be the two best NBA prospects we've had during the L era, and that's pretty amazing in what is a bridge year before our greatest talent infusion ever. the development of izundu in particular has been a season saver, and if he continues to develop offensively and figures out how to cut down on stupid fouls i think he could stick in the NBA as a backup big man.

I don't think anyone on this board thought this was an NCAA team. Now here we are.

Don't look now but we are in play for an ACC top 4 seed and double bye.

I didn't watch any of our first few games. Then I saw part of the Iowa State game. UM looked awful: inept, out of sync, you name it. I thought that we would win a bunch of games in the cupcake part of our schedule, and then get totally outclassed in the ACC. I have really enjoyed the season. Moving on with the goal of just making the NCAA Tourney has been a lot of fun, and succeeding in that goal will be more fun.

Advertisement
i'm willing to hear a little criticism of L for this season in particular because if you're only playing 7 scholarship players and have no injuries you've clearly mismanaged the roster a bit. i agree that the team's play in the last 6 games has been amazing given the circumstances, but they're circumstances that were under L's control. obv i think the guy should have a lifetime contract here but this season has been a weird one.

that being said to my eyes brown and izundu might be the two best NBA prospects we've had during the L era, and that's pretty amazing in what is a bridge year before our greatest talent infusion ever. the development of izundu in particular has been a season saver, and if he continues to develop offensively and figures out how to cut down on stupid fouls i think he could stick in the NBA as a backup big man.

BS. He didn't mismanage the roster.

It's not his fault Muhammad and Gilmore got kicked out of school, both of whom were taking on scholarships and neither of whom really had any red flags before coming to Miami.

Coming into the season, we had 1 open scholarship (remember we are down 1 due to sanctions this year). Coach L held that scholarship for Andrew White, who we lost out on to Syracuse but would was worth the risk given how good he is.

Coach L never planned on playing this season with just 7/8 guys. With Newton and Muhammed we would have had a 9 deep rotation

BS. He didn't mismanage the roster.

It's not his fault Muhammad and Gilmore got kicked out of school, both of whom were taking on scholarships and neither of whom really had any red flags before coming to Miami.

Coming into the season, we had 1 open scholarship (remember we are down 1 due to sanctions this year). Coach L held that scholarship for Andrew White, who we lost out on to Syracuse but would was worth the risk given how good he is.

Coach L never planned on playing this season with just 7/8 guys. With Newton and Muhammed we would have had a 9 deep rotation

Losing Manu to Baylor was the biggest hit we took. With him on this team, we would easily be looking at an ACC title and a 3rd seed.
Having said that, Coach L always overachieves and makes no excuses.

He is hands down the best coach at the U after Ron Fraser, in terms of consistency and success.

Advertisement
Back