Canes vs. Lacrosse Rapists

"Taking one for the team" meaning he's been able to dominate the ball all game , shoots as much as he wants ( no matter how bad the shot) and turn it over as much as assists? You'd think being only six foot he'd want to make the move to pg , especially if he wants to play at the next level. Even if it is at the next level.

Its not even the turnovers with him, it's when they come. It's always at key spots/possessions.

Newton didn't just start this either, he's always made awful decisions. You'd think he'd figure it out eventually.

He'd be kicked off or buried on the bench if the pg depth wasn't so awful.

I haven't bashed the kid, just critiquing his on court performances. Im just amazed how bad he can be at times, no matter how simple the basketball play is.

All of this.

Advertisement
0 would rather drive on the entire d than kick out to wide open Dj. I've never seen a dude literally never make the right basketball play

HE'S NOT A PG. HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

He's literally taking one for the team, playing out of position, doing what the coach asks him to do. He's a scoring, slashing off the ball guard. Jesus, ******* ****.

"Taking one for the team" is a really really over generous assessment of JN. He's proven to be a knucklehead, who got himself suspended at what should have been key moments of two straight seasons. The team persevered and overcame his knuckleadedness. This year the team gelled and got better without him. Yesterday he was back to hero ball the second he got in the game. No court awareness, no game awareness, and bad turnovers (highlighted by that ridiculous pass with 2 seconds left).

He serves a role for the rest of this year as he draws the attention of the defense and gives Brown and Reed breathers (Reed looks tired). Next year his role is more limited.

I was wondering if you were ok or not
Why didn't you ask the first game?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Because that wouldn't have made sense
Makes plenty of sense to me

Says the guy who likes Miami football and Duke basketball
I'm addicted to greatness.

I can't say the same for you, with you defending Newton in every post.

0 would rather drive on the entire d than kick out to wide open Dj. I've never seen a dude literally never make the right basketball play

He's literally taking one for the team, playing out of position, doing what the coach asks him to do. He's a scoring, slashing off the ball guard. Jesus, ****ing ****.

I disagree with the bold part as he has done the opposite.

First, he is selfish. He plays selfish on the court and is selfish off the court.

1) On the court, if he truly was taking one for the team, he would start to play like a PG and less like Newton. The mere fact that his game has stayed constant (dribble drive and don't distribute, lot of TOs) as the PG shows that he isn't truly taking one for the team and becoming the player we need. How about some improvement? How about it may be he is unable to be the player we need, if that is the case Point #2 alone proves he isn't taking one for the team.

2) Off the court, Newton's selfish behavior has come at inopportune times for the team. We know about the suspension last year. We know about the suspension this year. Neither prove he is taking one for the team. So when it matters most, he is being selfish.

Second, the guy should be coming off the bench like last year. Our team is best with Reed and Brown bringing up the ball and running the offense. I don't think anyone will deny that Newton is a defensive liability. In addition, as you said, Newton should not be bringing up the ball and he should be an off the ball guard. Let Newton come off the bench and provide a scoring spark like last year. Let Brown and Reed run the point. Put Newton in his better position to help the team.

Last edited:

He's literally taking one for the team, playing out of position, doing what the coach asks him to do. He's a scoring, slashing off the ball guard. Jesus, ****ing ****.

"Taking one for the team" is a really really over generous assessment of JN. He's proven to be a knucklehead, who got himself suspended at what should have been key moments of two straight seasons. The team persevered and overcame his knuckleadedness. This year the team gelled and got better without him. Yesterday he was back to hero ball the second he got in the game. No court awareness, no game awareness, and bad turnovers (highlighted by that ridiculous pass with 2 seconds left).

He serves a role for the rest of this year as he draws the attention of the defense and gives Brown and Reed breathers (Reed looks tired). Next year his role is more limited.

I agree.

Advertisement

I disagree with the bold part as he has done the opposite.

First, he is selfish. He plays selfish on the court and is selfish off the court.

1) On the court, if he truly was taking one for the team, he would start to play like a PG and less like Newton. The mere fact that his game has stayed constant (dribble drive and don't distribute, lot of TOs) as the PG shows that he isn't truly taking one for the team and becoming the player we need. How about some improvement? How about It may be he is unable to be the player we need, if that is the case Point #2 alone proves he isn't taking one for the team.

2) Off the court, Newton's selfish behavior has come at inopportune times for the team. We know about the suspension last year. We know about the suspension this year. Neither prove he is taking one for the team. So when it matters most, he is being selfish.

Second, the guy should be coming off the bench like last year. Our team is best with Reed and Brown bringing up the ball and running the offense. I don't think anyone will deny that Newton is a defensive liability. In addition, as you said, Newton should not be bringing up the ball and he should be an off the ball guard. Let Newton come off the bench and provide a scoring spark like last year. Let Brown and Reed run the point. Put Newton in his better position to help the team,

Bingo.

It is kind of amazing how great our D played because look at the offense:

FG: 22-58 (37.9%)
3PT: 1-8 (12.5%)
55 Total Points

Without Brown

FG: 11-40 (27.5%)
3PT: 0-6
30 Total Points

Quan wasn't great this game, but he also hasn't been in a game in over a week, so I expected him to press a bit. He's not a natural PG, but people pretending that this team is better off without him are nuts. He is an aggressive player, and that creates opportunities for other guys, I just want to see him teamed with a legit PG, which will be next season.

The guy is trash and does nothing. It's been that way since he's been here.

Agree he's trash, don't agree he's been trash the entire time. To me the team was better last year with him in the game moreso than Angel. But he is *** now compared to Brown. Pure ***.

Now, you've got be kidding. Angel was very good, especially last year. Do you people know anything about b-ball, or even watch our games?

Angel averged he 12.6 ppg, 4.5 assists, 2.5 rebounds, 1.5 steals, shot 34% from 3 (but made the clutch...a lot of clutch 3s) and averaged 2 TOs a game. He was a true floor general. He also had as much heart as almost anyone I've ever seen in a Miami...ever.

And the same people were on here trashing Angel over his UM career. :tedbong:

I have the game on DVR but got spoiled by checking this morning. Couldn't help it. Huge win! I didn't read thru the thread but based on this last page it sure seems like a lot of mopery...I guess I will understand more after I watch the game this morning

Advertisement
Defense is half the game and the clown posters on here don't even consider that when assessing this team. They are a **** good team defensively, but specifically Davon Reed is elite at this point. Jayson Tatum is probably going to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft, and he's been hot for Duke. Reed just shut him down. With his length, athleticism, defensive prowess, and shooting ability, Reed is one of those guys whose game is going to transition very well to the next level. It's been a joy to watch him this year even when his offensive game is off. Kid would look good in a Heat uniform.

He's literally taking one for the team, playing out of position, doing what the coach asks him to do. He's a scoring, slashing off the ball guard. Jesus, ******* ****.

He's not a point guard, but I felt like he was playing selfish yesterday. There were two drives I remember where he forced it badly, and one of them he had one of our bigs rolling to the basket wide open. Wouldn't have been some crazy point guard pass. Brown and Reed would have made that pass.

I have the game on DVR but got spoiled by checking this morning. Couldn't help it. Huge win! I didn't read thru the thread but based on this last page it sure seems like a lot of mopery...I guess I will understand more after I watch the game this morning

I was not able to watch the game but tracked it via several game threads, including this one.
One would think we got our tails stomped from reading the game threads.
So I watched the DVR replay of the game this morning and it was fun to watch, not only because we won but because
of the way our boys played.
We have a very tough, well-coached team.
You would not know from the reading the game threads though.
LOL.

By far L's finest coaching job since he got to Miami and as Greg Cote wrote, his best since his GM Final 4 run.
This was supposed to be a rebuild year with modest expectations yet here we are knocking on the door for a 5 or 6 seed in March Madness.
INSANE!

Advertisement
I was out of town and ended up having to watch it at a bar, but that probably saved me from listening to Grant Hill so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Obviously a great win. I thought the officials really let the teams play a physical game and we handled that better.

Defense is half the game and the clown posters on here don't even consider that when assessing this team. They are a **** good team defensively, but specifically Davon Reed is elite at this point. Jayson Tatum is probably going to be the #1 pick in the NBA draft, and he's been hot for Duke. Reed just shut him down. With his length, athleticism, defensive prowess, and shooting ability, Reed is one of those guys whose game is going to transition very well to the next level. It's been a joy to watch him this year even when his offensive game is off. Kid would look good in a Heat uniform.

Davon Reed looks like the quintessential Pat Riley player. Experienced, good shooter, high basketball IQ, excellent defender, hustles every play.

Huge win. This team plays hard and defensively they are great. However, we dribble way too much. We have the ability to make a run in the tourney but we have to start passing the ball more and not dribbling so much. We can lose the next four games in a row and this season was still a huge success. I admire the job this team has done. But after watching every ACC game this year, this team can take their play to the next level by simply passing the ball and making the defense move before attacking. We've scored around 55 points and 42 points in regulation the last two games. No matter how good of defense we play, we need to get better on offense in order to win some tourney games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back