Canes vs. Birds With Teeth

Why did Lecomte have to transfer? Why couldn't Newton have left instead?

True...

Problem is that I don't think Lecomte would have been as good as a sixth man, Quan was one of the nation's best in that role last year. In a perfect world, Lecomte would have tolerated a redshirt year, and then come back this year and teamed with Quan. Unfortunately, Manu wasn't willing to do that, even though that's exactly what happened when he transferred.

You're tring to debate/educate this clown?

Advertisement
Why did Lecomte have to transfer? Why couldn't Newton have left instead?

True...

Problem is that I don't think Lecomte would have been as good as a sixth man, Quan was one of the nation's best in that role last year. In a perfect world, Lecomte would have tolerated a redshirt year, and then come back this year and teamed with Quan. Unfortunately, Manu wasn't willing to do that, even though that's exactly what happened when he transferred.

You're tring to debate/educate this clown?

I was bored. That, and/or buzzed at the time.

With a 9 scholly team, this is basically a "make the tourney for experience sake" year.
Hopefully we make a deep run next year.

I agree. I was at the game today and this team played there *** off. With Huell and DJ out in the game in the second half we stood up with the #4 team in the nation in there house. Coach has this team playing well with what limited resources he has and we will be on the bubble at the end, but next year look out, this team will be a team that will be top 16 if not much better.

Last edited:
Sounds and looks to me that this team is too thin. That's why they fold down the stretch. Need more players so they can rotate and rest people a bit. Just super hard to get good players at a school with no tradition of winning. Coach L can only do so much with such a limited bunch. Not much to show for this season other than beating a tired UNC team.

Advertisement
We are ridiculously thin, and it's why we're a bad second half team. This should't be news, but assuming Brown comes back next year, which he really should, we should be really good.

Lykes will be the PG and is a true PG. Now, obviously he's 5-7, but he's the best PG in the DC/MD area which is saying a lot and the 46th best player in the nation by ESPN (which I think is a low ranking). Obviously it's risky to count on a true freshman to step right in, but I think this kid is going to be our next Shane Larkin. It'll allow Newton to move out of the 1, and allow Brown to move to the 3. On paper Lonnie Walker might be the best recruit we've signed in the modern era. Actually, I think he is, and should start from day 1. I assume we're going going to go small with Huell as the big, or have Huell and Izundu, which would mean that Newton goes back to the 6th man, though I don't see that happening. Maybe Newton remains at the starter and Lykes comes off the bench and everyone's collective heads' explode. Either way, it'll be good problem to have to deal with. Hopefully Gak is ready and Waardenburg having an extra 6 months with the team is ready too. Giving us another 6-11 and 6-9 guy.

This year's team is 16-8, 6-6. They have an RPI of 50, a BPI of 30, and are 35 in Ken Pom's ratings. We'd be around a 8-9 seed right now. We have 2 very winnable games coming up in GT and Clemson at home before @UVA, home against Duke and @VT and @FSU. We need to get to 9 and I think we do by holding serve at home. That would make us 19-11, 9-9 heading into the ACCT, and this year, that gets us in. Next year we're easily a top 25 team all year, a top 5-6 ACC team at worst, and probably a 4-6 seed in the NCAAT. Like I've said all along, Coach L is building a program.

These last few sequences have been absolutely pathetic. This team is garbage, so sick of this team falling apart in the second half.

I hate to be this guy, but how many times can this happen before some blame falls on coaching? This has become very hard to swallow.

Sweet 16 is the ceiling with him as a HC

What were your expectations for UM Hoops before Coach L arrived?

Advertisement
These last few sequences have been absolutely pathetic. This team is garbage, so sick of this team falling apart in the second half.

I hate to be this guy, but how many times can this happen before some blame falls on coaching? This has become very hard to swallow.

Remember when he made the final four? Can you have a glass of bleach please?

Anyone seeing a pattern with consigliere?

I have a fan, I am honored.

Loosen the tin foil. You're seeing chit that isn't there. Enjoy your day TxKunt.

Loosen the tin foil. You're seeing chit that isn't there. Enjoy your day TxKunt.

More name calling... keep proving my point!!

Keep stalking. I'm done, feel free to continue to post.

Advertisement

Keep stalking. I'm done, feel free to continue to post.

I am simply pointing out your abrasive name calling and typical posting. When you say you're done, do you mean done posting for good????

Frustrating game but I feel really good about the way we played. This year the goal is to find a way into the tourney so we have the experience for next year. For the first time all year, this team moved the ball well and actually got some easy baskets throughout most of the game. In the last five minutes we unfortunately went back to no ball movement, dribble the ball around, and chuck up a bad shot which was extremely frustrating especially when we were in the double bonus and should have attacked the rim. However, this team is inexperienced and lacks depth and that's a recipe for disaster against the #4 team on the road. As rough as that run was by Louisville to go up 8, seeing us come back to tie that game shows a lot of improvement. This team has folded in those spots before so this is a sign of growth even though we didn't get the win.

Izundu is showing an incredible promise and this is great for the remainder of this year because we now have a low post presence. Even more promising for next season. Newton is the toughest pill to swallow right now. He has talent but needs to understand his role and play the game the right way. Far too often he forces things and it kills this team. If Newton can play within himself and we have Bruce Brown at PG for the majority of the game, this team can get to the tourney and pull off a surprising win or two.

Advertisement
Quite a few posters were complaining that we should have beaten Louisville this past Saturday. Yes we were 14 points ahead at one time. It would have been great if we closed it out in that important game. The reality is that Louisville is a very good team and currently a two seed for the tournament. Before the regular season and acc tournament is over they could wind up as a one seed. Let us be realistic and realize it is very difficult to beat a top team at their place. We are missing some key components in our lineup. We are playing without a reliable point guard. Our inside game is at best mediocre. We are getting as much out of this team as can be expected. I feel confident that next year some of the in problems we now have this year will be corrected next year with a few new recruits. Have patience, our program is solid and we have a rosy picture in the future.

Lville just beat Syracuse at Syracuse. Recently Syracuse has been one of the better teams in Acc. Our conference is very competitive and it is difficult to win away games. Lville better than us now and they beat cuse at their place we lost to them at Syracuse. Our home record is darn good and with a few new players next year we will be able to win some of the tough games away from home.

Not being an ***, but you couldn't have put this in the 7 page thread on the game? You know what, I am being an ***, and I'm moving it to that thread.

Stating the obvious, but we need a PG badly.

Well, we won't have a true PG until Lykes enrolls so, no point in beating a dead horse. I'm not attacking you personally, but there really is no point in bringing this up after every game. Newton is a good basketball player. He is the 2nd leading scorer on the team. He's averaging 15 ppg, 4 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game. If he wasn't being asked to be a PG he'd be having a great season.

Advertisement
Back