Canes spotted in Jersey

If you have a choice ....why go to the beach in NJ??

Been to most of Jersey's beaches,.......sorry but they don't compare with the worst beaches in Florida

As for getting Jersey or other state recruits, Remember Greg Olsen and the others already mentioned were from Jersey. There is a lot of good talent in the NE and Mid Atlantic Areas. OSU, Penn State, Michigan, MSU feast up here.

Why shouldn't we pick and choose talent wherever they may be?

Although S. Fla is and will always be our primary recruiting area...... You take good talent wherever you find it

Last edited:
Advertisement
Took me almost five minutes to figure out if this thread was about seeing UM players wearing their game jerseys or seeing UM players in the state of New Jersey.

True story.

It really depends.

During the Butch era, at one point we had at least 4 on the roster at one time that I can think of - Lewis at safety, McKinnie and Wilkens on the OL and Clark at LB.

There may have been a couple more on the roster at that time, but those are the ones I can think of.

Not one of them was a dud.

McKinnie is very likely the best left OT the school has ever had and Clark was one of the top LB in the country out of HS.

Lewis obviously started for at least a year at safety (and was solid) and Wilkins gave decent spot duty at guard.

New Jersey produces top talent. I have no issue at all at five from the state on the roster if they are quality players.

Same with PA, GA, TX or CA. Or OH - although we've never had too many from Ohio on the roster at any given time.

we've snagged some **** good D-Ends out of there too...Stubbs, Greg Mark and Thomas Carroll

NJ has great football talent. #6 pick in the draft, Quenton Nelson. Minka Fitzpatrick, Jabril Peppers, Mike Geisicki... tore up the draft on day 1.

Advertisement
If you have a choice ....why go to the beach in NJ??

Been to most of Jersey's beaches,.......sorry but they don't compare with the worst beaches in Florida

As for getting Jersey or other state recruits, Remember Greg Olsen and the others already mentioned were from Jersey. There is a lot of good talent in the NE and Mid Atlantic Areas. OSU, Penn State, Michigan, MSU feast up here.

Why shouldn't we pick and choose talent wherever they may be?

Although S. Fla is and will always be our primary recruiting area...... You take good talent wherever you find it

You're entitled.
You say you've been to most of the 50 beach communities in NJ? That's a lot.
May I ask what beaches you have been to?
Please don't say Belmar, Seaside Heights, Wildwood, and those other tourist traps.

NJ and Florida each have great some great beaches.
NJ and Florida have some "less desirable" beaches as well. Daytona comes to mind.
If you think that Daytona Beach is better than any beach in NJ....
Well, like I said....you're entitled.

Last edited:
New Jersey?

David Njoku says hello.

And yes, The U should only cherry pick from OOS. No 2-3 stars unless an evaluation indicates the player is either underrated or is a raw athlete who could blossom. I do not remember Njoku's recruiting ranking, but recall he was a NJ state high jump champion.

You're entitled.
You say you've been to most of the 50 beach communities in NJ, that's a lot.
Please don't say Belmar, Seaside Heights, Wildwood, and those other tourist traps.

NJ and Florida have some "less desirable" beaches as well. Daytona comes to mind.

So many nice beaches in NJ. My fam has a house in Harvey Cedars. LBI is beautiful.

Belmar is fun if you want to party and your like in early 20s. Djais, Headliner, Bar A.

So many nice beaches in NJ. My fam has a house in Harvey Cedars. LBI is beautiful.

Belmar is fun if you want to party and your like in early 20s. Djais, Headliner, Bar A.

LBI is one of the tops on the list.
I'm fortunate to do quite a bit of work there.

As for Belmar...
I get a twitch when I think back to those days!

Advertisement
I think we all agree here.
Jersey is a fringe top-10 producer of NFL talent with other 3rd tier states like NC, SC, and Illinois.
4/5 or so can happen, but not likely and no need to be forced.

You're entitled.
You say you've been to most of the 50 beach communities in NJ? That's a lot.

Yes I have. I've traveled intensively in Jersey. I live in Philly and FL and often go to beaches in FL, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VA, DE, and MD...and as you said I'm entitled to my opinion

As for Daytona Beach, :rolleyes::eek:You definitely got me there....I have to admit that Daytona Beach is horrible and one of the worst in the USA.

But still, given a choice....I'd much rather hit a beach in FL.

Last edited:
Matt Sweeney was from NJ. He was recruited by Dennis Erickson but played his whole career for Davis. He was a solid D Tackle and a short stint in the NFL before getting injured.

NJ has always given us good talent. No reason to cut it off.

Yes I have. I've traveled intensively in Jersey. I live in Philly and FL and often go to beaches in FL, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, VA, DE, and MD...and as you said I'm entitled to my opinion

As for Daytona Beach, :rolleyes::eek:You definitely got me there....I have to admit that Daytona Beach is horrible and one of the worst in the USA.

But still, given a choice....I'd much rather hit a beach in FL.

I love the "normal" Florida beaches.
My only nit-picky complaint is the lack of waves.

The Philly crowd typically frequents the Ocean City/Wildwood area.
Give LBI a shot next time, or any other non-boardwalk community.
You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy, wherever you decide to beach it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
There's no reason the University of Miami should ever have 5 New Jersey players on their roster at one time. You want to snag a blue chip guy from up north every once in a while? Sure. However we should not be filling out our roster with mediocre athletes from 1500 miles away.

This is 100% wrong. We can't fill the roster with NJ kids because they are so far away, but they pump out great athletes. Bryany McKinnie was from NJ. In recent Miami classes AQM and David Njoku where both from NJ. Reyshawn Gary and Jabrill Peppers where both NJ guys over at Michigan. Plus OSU, Michigan, and Penn state all put a big premium on NJ guys and it works out for them. NJ is just to small to pump out as many guys as GA, FL, TX, and CA. There top guys though can play with anyone.

Saw 4 Canes hanging on the Beach in NJ this weekend in Monmouth Beach, Nj. Berrios, Badgley, Mahoney and Gordinier. Berrios and Badge getting ready for camp. Mahoney headed black for July and Gordinier looked good after the brutal knee injury.
That is the kind of investigative reporting that will one day win you a Pulitzer prize my friend. What did they have for lunch?

edit: just busting balls @Sooch. Go Canes!!

Last edited:
Pete Carroll's recruiting philosophy at USC was there is so much local talent in Southern California there is no reason to recruit OOS unless he could project the player as a future NFL first-round pick.

The same is true for Miami and State of Florida. Otherwise known as The State of Miami. Except for QBs there is no reason to recruit a player from OOS unless he the coaches evaluate his athleticism as elite for his position(s).

Advertisement
I love the "normal" Florida beaches.
My only nit-picky complaint is the lack of waves.

The Philly crowd typically frequents the Ocean City/Wildwood area.
Give LBI a shot next time, or any other non-boardwalk community.
You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Enjoy, wherever you decide to beach it.

Thanks I'm game. I'll give it another try

Also I try not to go where the Philly people go. I don't like their "addytude" LoL

Have a good one

Last edited:
This is 100% wrong. We can't fill the roster with NJ kids because they are so far away, but they pump out great athletes. Bryany McKinnie was from NJ. In recent Miami classes AQM and David Njoku where both from NJ. Reyshawn Gary and Jabrill Peppers where both NJ guys over at Michigan. Plus OSU, Michigan, and Penn state all put a big premium on NJ guys and it works out for them. NJ is just to small to pump out as many guys as GA, FL, TX, and CA. There top guys though can play with anyone.

I never said stop recruiting Jersey. I said it's better to cherry pick the occasional blue chipper from up there but leave the three star Golden specials for places like pedo state and rutgers. Everyone knows they put out occasional talent but I'll stand by my statement that Miami should never have 5 players form jersey on their roster at any one time. There's no reason to go all the way to New Jersey to recruit "serviceable" players. Two or three premium players and that's it.

Here's a five year list of states ranked by blue chip percentage. (percentage of athletes rated 4 or 5 stars) New Jersey is 12th. But go ahead and fill your roster up with a bunch of dudes from a state where only 2.5% are four or more stars.

All 50 states, ranked by their number of elite college football recruits

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back