Canes in Austin

Any Canes in Houston Friday night let me know. Bringing 5 other Canes with me. Never been to Houston. Staying downtown next to the convention center.

Advertisement
Brewery recommendations: IMHO the top dawgs are Meanwhile and Pinthouse for consistently good beers of all types. A dark horse favorite of mine is St Elmo brewing, and ABGB is good for classic German styles.

Bbq: Valentina’s for sure if you’re near. Steer toward the Mex side of the Tex Mex board. Also great is Interstellar BBQ.

****tails: I am a huge Tiki guy with a home bar and all, and Tiki Tatsu-ya is one of the best in the country. Killer drinks and cool vibes, highly recommended for the dudes in town with wives. Not for kids. Also try Roosevelt room. This also happens to be Texas Tiki Week so check them online for events.

Sites: ladybird lake, Barton springs, zilker park.

Hit me on DM for more recommendations. Enjoy Austin before the big win Saturday! Aggies suck!!

Kerlins was the best BBQ I had while I was there, but unfortunately it looks like they had to close b/c the lot their foodtruck was in is being redeveloped. Looks like they will still do 'large orders' but I have no idea what large entails.

I would definitely stay away from Terry Blacks - it is usually super crowded, pretty pricey and probably the worst BBQ I had while I was there. This cost over $45 and the brisket was dry.

View attachment 207891
Yikes

Advertisement
Ben Sable is a UM alum and owns Circle Brewery here in Austin. Beer is excellent and good food trucks on site. It’s in the shadow of the Austin FC soccer stadium.

Any Canes in Houston Friday night let me know. Bringing 5 other Canes with me. Never been to Houston. Staying downtown next to the convention center.

We’re (5 of us) staying not too far from IAH, but we’ll be out on Friday night too. PM me your info.

I’m in the Cypress area of Houston and a lot of the fellas coming down will be at/near my house Friday if anyone needs something to do

That looks great brother! 😋

That looks great brother! 😋

I was pleasantly surprised when I had it the first time. So I went for a second and third and was never disappointed, they are now my #2 go to when i need bbq in SA. The brisket and chicken melts in your mouth, the sausage is plump with a juicy flavor ribs fall off the bone and everything is seasoned almost to perfection 🤤🤤🤤 in other words it taste how it looks 😆 🤣 they have smoked turkey that's delicioso as well.

Brickyard BBQ is a little bit more expensive but it's worth every penny. That's my #1 it's family owned they get cows imported and butcher themselves and have a garden in the back they use to marinate the meat. They have a special that is called "The Brick" i can never finish in one setting.

Advertisement
Ben Sable is a UM alum and owns Circle Brewery here in Austin. Beer is excellent and good food trucks on site. It’s in the shadow of the Austin FC soccer stadium.
I home brew with my Dad, might try and check that one out depending on location

Franklins is good stuff. But, my old faithful is Rudy’s. Consistently excellent and good atmosphere. We’ve lived here 20 years or so. Heading to College Station Sat. am with wife. Bird bird biscuit is a great idea on way out of Austin, but torcheys is the bomb too. Cell is 512-940-3104. Text if y’all are getting together Friday night here in Austin.
Love me some Torchy's! For work I used to to fly into San Antonio a couple of times a year and we always got Torchy's. On my travels travels this last year I made sure to get it in Austin and Denver. They are expanding a lot recently and have made it as close to me as Charlottesville, VA!

Brewery recommendations: IMHO the top dawgs are Meanwhile and Pinthouse for consistently good beers of all types. A dark horse favorite of mine is St Elmo brewing, and ABGB is good for classic German styles.

Bbq: Valentina’s for sure if you’re near. Steer toward the Mex side of the Tex Mex board. Also great is Interstellar BBQ.

****tails: I am a huge Tiki guy with a home bar and all, and Tiki Tatsu-ya is one of the best in the country. Killer drinks and cool vibes, highly recommended for the dudes in town with wives. Not for kids. Also try Roosevelt room. This also happens to be Texas Tiki Week so check them online for events.

Sites: ladybird lake, Barton springs, zilker park.

Hit me on DM for more recommendations. Enjoy Austin before the big win Saturday! Aggies suck!!
Meanwhile and Pinthouse (solid food too) were great.

I didnt make it to Tiki Tatsu, but loved their sister restaurant Kemuir Tatsu and recommend it to everyone.

Also, Detroit style pizza is pretty much everywhere now so it is not as big a deal, but Via 311 was the first Detroit style pizza that I had 4 or 5 years ago and it is great.

Advertisement
Love me some Torchy's! For work I used to to fly into San Antonio a couple of times a year and we always got Torchy's. On my travels travels this last year I made sure to get it in Austin and Denver. They are expanding a lot recently and have made it as close to me as Charlottesville, VA!

Building one in Altamonte Springs (north side of Orlando).

Advertisement
In Austin and decided to go to Franklin’s for lunch. It was a little less than a 2-hour wait but the food was good. Brisket wasn’t the best I’ve had but it was good nonetheless. My favorite brisket is from Hometown BBQ.
D33AF88E-C4BE-44F3-A303-F2C0BEA1E230.jpeg

In Austin and decided to go to Franklin’s for lunch. It was a little less than a 2-hour wait but the food was good. Brisket wasn’t the best I’ve had but it was good nonetheless. My favorite brisket is from Hometown BBQ.
View attachment 208416

I drove past around 10:30 am and dedided to go over to Micklethwait. I'll do the Franklin wait on Sunday morning.

Advertisement
Back