Canes in Austin

Advertisement
Yes. Have an Air BnB near the airport plus a rental car. Will be hitting Valentina's and Franklin on Friday and/or Saturday before heading to College Station.
I assume that you have done your research on what Franklin's entails in terms of either getting in line super early or ordering ahead of time with limited options (and possibly sold-out already)?

If you are into breweries, Central Machine Works is not too far from the airport and was a great time when I was in Austin for 6 weeks earlier this year: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...b7f751c3e8d452!8m2!3d30.2520225!4d-97.7015778

Advertisement
Yeah order ahead is already sold out
Kerlins was the best BBQ I had while I was there, but unfortunately it looks like they had to close b/c the lot their foodtruck was in is being redeveloped. Looks like they will still do 'large orders' but I have no idea what large entails.

I would definitely stay away from Terry Blacks - it is usually super crowded, pretty pricey and probably the worst BBQ I had while I was there. This cost over $45 and the brisket was dry.

1663092876259.png

Kerlins was the best BBQ I had while I was there, but unfortunately it looks like they had to close b/c the lot their foodtruck was in is being redeveloped. Looks like they will still do 'large orders' but I have no idea what large entails.

I would definitely stay away from Terry Blacks - it is usually super crowded, pretty pricey and probably the worst BBQ I had while I was there. This cost over $45 and the brisket was dry.

View attachment 207891
$45 for that??..

Advertisement
I assume that you have done your research on what Franklin's entails in terms of either getting in line super early or ordering ahead of time with limited options (and possibly sold-out already)?

If you are into breweries, Central Machine Works is not too far from the airport and was a great time when I was in Austin for 6 weeks earlier this year: https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...b7f751c3e8d452!8m2!3d30.2520225!4d-97.7015778

Yeah, I went to Franklin on the Saturday morning prior to the UM-LSU game. Got there around 5:30 am, we were third in line.

I'm not sure what the Friday/weekday will be like, that's why I'm going to Valentina's first. If Franklin is sold out by lunch on Friday, I'll go elsewhere and come back Saturday morning with a tailgate chair.

I lived in Austin for a year, Franklin is well worth the wait. Micklethwait is also very good, same with La Barbecue (pitmaster worked under Franklin), never was a fan of terry blacks. Juan in a Million has great breakfast tacos.

Advertisement
Anyone staying in Austin and then driving to game on Sat?

I’ll be there. Up for hanging out with some CANES!
Getting into Austin about 11:30am Friday with the wife. Staying in the downtown area.

Will probably grab lunch and bar hop or check out a couple breweries until we can check in.

Planning to hit up this chicken biscuit place on Saturday morning before cruising to College Station.

You need to get back in the game, 'cue restaurants are charging an arm and a leg now, and making good money at it.

I just went to Rodney Scott's in Atlanta, spent $75 and it was...dry...not good...
"I" need to get back in the game??....in what, Food/Restaurants??...c'mon man....I'm the last person who needs that...over my dead body am I spending $45+ for that..

Advertisement

View attachment 207891

Resized_Resized_20220901_191000(1).jpg
Resized_Resized_20220901_190839(1).jpg

Bro I got this here in San Antonio for 40$ (Half rack of ribs, lb of brisket, sausage links, and two leg quarters) and it's not showing the Sides (pint of Charro Beans and Pint of Potato Salad) and Drinks too.... this is Smoke BBQ & Brew...

I tell my people to check out Jones BBQ on the eastside or Brickyard BBQ in med center whenever they in town craving BBQ. Stay away from Bill Miller and Rudy's 🤮🤮🤮

View attachment 207910View attachment 207911

Bro I got this here in San Antonio for 40$ (Half rack of ribs, lb of brisket, sausage links, and two leg quarters) and it's not showing the Sides (pint of Charro Beans and Pint of Potato Salad) and Drinks too.... this is Smoke BBQ & Brew...

I tell my people to check out Jones BBQ on the eastside or Brickyard BBQ in med center whenever they in town craving BBQ. Stay away from Bill Miller and Rudy's 🤮🤮🤮
Now we're talking....

Yeah...

I live in DC so I am used to high prices and even I was like WTF?!

And that is a soda, not a beer in the cup.
Is Rocklands still around? I never thought much of the bbq in the DC area all the years I lived there though they have so many other great options.

Getting into Austin about 11:30am Friday with the wife. Staying in the downtown area.

Will probably grab lunch and bar hop or check out a couple breweries until we can check in.

Planning to hit up this chicken biscuit place on Saturday morning before cruising to College Station.

I ate there and it was definitely solid - great biscuit. I also went to Briscuits, the biscuit wasn't as good but overall I liked it better. It's a littler further out from downtown. Can't go wrong with either option.

Bird Bird
1663100772270.png

Briscuits
1663100727002.png

Advertisement
Back