Canes Hoops lands huge boost in transfer Cleveland

I would love to not start Wooga and have him and Jospeh be first two off the bench.

If we can find a legit SG to take wongs place it could make this roster really good if/when Pack and Omier hopefully return
Bensley Joseph seems to be the closest thing we have now to a full-throttled Point Guard. That alone may see him in the starting 5. I hope he balls out, nice player and room to grow.

Advertisement
Bensley Joseph seems to be the closest thing we have now to a full-throttled Point Guard. That alone may see him in the starting 5. I hope he balls out, nice player and room to grow.

I think there will be 6 guys who play starter minutes and lineups will be adjusted based on matchups:

Pack/Bens
Wooga
Cleveland
??? (George? Casey? Watson? Transfer?)
Omier

I think any of George, Casey, or Watson have the raw materials to be big time contributors… we’ll see who emerges. As I have said before, this summer’s France trip is exactly what L needs to get the team ready for this season.

I don’t see how Joseph and pack both start. Just too small. I love Joseph as the first guard off the bench.
Of Joseph, Pack, and Wooga, I see Bensley as by far the best ball-handler (dribbler, passer)... and assists and such for him over shooting but can shoot too... but your points are well-taken, especially for defense. It will be interesting to see what Coach L does....

...the small amount of (6'7?) Watson last season seemed promising... he was an excellent Point Guard in high-school. Would be awesome if he blossomed into a (PG) starter!

Advertisement
In all seriousness though some of you are throwing out some crazy lineups and changes.

What we do know 100% if everyone else comes back.
PG Pack
SG ?
SF Wooga
PF ?
C Omier

now I would say there is a less than 1% chance Cleveland came here to not start. So I would assume he slides into the PF role like Miller.

Then you have George. Apparently this guys options were NBA or Miami for a year. If that’s the case you have to imagine he will be starting.

One thing a lot of people forget is that Pack came here to be a PG to get to the nba. He’s not going to slide over to SG and Joseph start at PG. I don’t believe that is an option at all.

Nwoko plays like he knows he’s big and powerful. Tenacious, Anquan-Boldin like attitude. Tonye and Ezundu played like they thought they were 8 inches shorter than their listed height.
Dude, I used to scream at Jekeri “you are taller than them!” never seen a guy that big, play so soft. and he was still very good for us despite that style!

Advertisement
I'm all over the place with Bensley. One game, I love his play, the next, not so much. All about consistency with him. If he's gonna start, we'd need to see much more of Bensley at his consistent best

His defense and effort are great, goes without saying. And, I like his jump shot.

He's listed at 6'2 207. So ... not a short or frail player. Why he isn't more effective on attempted drives to the hoop is a bit of a mystery to me. Too many TOs when he tries to kick it back out, or he eats leather more than a guy his size should trying to lay it up.

6’7 200 F from ATL, GA

13.8ppg 7.4rebs 1.8ast 44.5% from the floor 35% from 3 & 69% from the FT line

Athletic Forward that plays on Wing & has a Guard’s handle. Is a good scorer creating off the dribble & driving to the basket, but can also step back & knock down midrange jumpers. Has a solid 3pt shot that can improve, but isn’t a 3pt shooter by nature. Fits well within the offense as an Off-ball cutter & has + athleticism at the basket with both hand finishes.

Is a good rebounder & gives good effort on Defense, can guard 1-4. Is a good Offensive player who has the propensity to make the right pass & understands ball movement concepts; (Basically he isn’t a Ballhog & doesn’t take bad selfish shots). Will play the 4 spot for us, but is a versatile Wing that can play 3 & even 2 depending on certain matchups & lineup rotations.

Is a Royce O’Neale type, utility G/F that can score, defend, rebound & move with or without the ball.

Best Games:
- 20pts 5rebs 1stl vs Miami
- 19pts 12rebs 3ast & 2blk vs Cuse
- 15pts 10rebs 3ast 2stls & 2blk vs Louisville
- 18pts & 4rebs vs Clemson
- 11pts & 8rebs vs Pitt
- 14pts 16rebs 5ast & 1stl vs Notre Dame
- 10pts 10rebs & 3ast vs UVA
- 19pts 12rebs 1stl & 1blk vs Wake Forest
- 21pts 12rebs 2ast & 2stls vs GTech
- 18pts 10rebs & 3ast vs Duke
- 19pts 12rebs 3ast & 1stl vs Notre Dame
- 23pts 13rebs 2blk & 3stls vs ST Johns
- 20pts & 6rebs vs Purdue
- 17pts & 6rebs vs Nebraska
- 14pts 7rebs & 2stls vs UF

Very good pickup IMO

Bro, definitely appreciate all of your breakdowns and analysis. I swear I be wanting to research but don't be having the energy lol

I'm all over the place with Bensley. One game, I love his play, the next, not so much. All about consistency with him. If he's gonna start, we'd need to see much more of Bensley at his consistent best

His defense and effort are great, goes without saying. And, I like his jump shot.

He's listed at 6'2 207. So ... not a short or frail player. Why he isn't more effective on attempted drives to the hoop is a bit of a mystery to me. Too many TOs when he tries to kick it back out, or he eats leather more than a guy his size should trying to lay it up.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I am not high on Joseph starting. He is a prototypical, combo guard six-man that comes off the bench and provides energy to the team when one of the guards needs a rest. I'd like to see a high impact scoring guard (Dingle, RayJ, etc.) come in and start. Joseph's role is good for what it is now.

Advertisement
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I am not high on Joseph starting. He is a prototypical, combo guard six-man that comes off the bench and provides energy to the team when one of the guards needs a rest. I'd like to see a high impact scoring guard (Dingle, RayJ, etc.) come in and start. Joseph's role is good for what it is now.

I get what you’re saying, BUT he is a very good ball handler, an ELITE defender, and he shot 40% from three the last TWO years.

Whether he starts or not, I see him playing starter minutes this year… and deservedly so IMO.

If he improves his ability to penetrate and finish (he has the athleticism and coordination based upon how he defends), he’s an elite level college PG.

I can't officially confirm yet but I'm hearing that the main reason the kid is coming is because he's also interested in a career in the music industry and was wowed by our music school.

NIL was obviously not even an ancillary factor as we don't have any money left since Ruiz declared bankruptcy and had to move to a more reasonable house in Cape Coral. Hopefully he gets along with his neighbors over there. I've seen it end badly.

I get what you’re saying, BUT he is a very good ball handler, an ELITE defender, and he shot 40% from three the last TWO years.

Whether he starts or not, I see him playing starter minutes this year… and deservedly so IMO.

If he improves his ability to penetrate and finish (he has the athleticism and coordination based upon how he defends), he’s an elite level college PG.
He’s probably the guy whose minutes will be largely dictated by matchups. There will be games next year, as there were this year, wherein Joseph is really important, especially because of defense. And games where we can’t play him and Pack together because of size issues (though Joseph plays bigger than his height, like Patrick Beverly).
But ultimately Joseph has to become a more consistent 3 point shooter to have consistent minutes. His form was a little wacky last year. He needs to study film on Poplar and Pack, both have great form albeit slightly different.

Advertisement
1-Pack, Joseph
2-Robinson, George
3-Poplar, Watson
4-Cleveland, Casey/Nwoko
5-Omier, Casey/Nwoko

Obviously, this is if Pack and Omier return. I'd like another big man and someone to replace Wong who could start right away.

He’s probably the guy whose minutes will be largely dictated by matchups. There will be games next year, as there were this year, wherein Joseph is really important, especially because of defense. And games where we can’t play him and Pack together because of size issues (though Joseph plays bigger than his height, like Patrick Beverly).
But ultimately Joseph has to become a more consistent 3 point shooter to have consistent minutes. His form was a little wacky last year. He needs to study film on Poplar and Pack, both have great form albeit slightly different.

Ehhh… he shot 39.5% from three last year and 39.8% from three this year. His form isn’t stellar but he’s got a decently quick release and he makes them at a statistically impressive rate.

Advertisement
Back