Canes Fall Apart in 2nd Half, Lose to #21 Iowa State 73-56

View as article
espn_advocare.png

Sometimes it’s just not your day.

After a close first half, Iowa State went on a 10-0 run shortly before halftime and Miami collapsed in the second half in the Advocare Invitational semifinals to lose 73-56. Ja’Quan Newton had another strong performance, scoring 21 points in the loss. The Canes struggled from deep (2 for 16 from 3PT) and failed to get anything going inside, placing the playmaking burden largely on Newton’s driving ability. Here’s what we learned:

The seniors didn’t show up

Kamari Murphy was far and away the most disappointing player this morning. Despite grabbing 12 rebounds, he put up only 4 points on 1 for 5 from the field with 4 turnovers and a flagrant foul. Murphy was consistently out of position and settled for mid-range jump shots. The stats don’t fully tell the story of how bad Murphy was, as he played a large role in Miami’s inability to get anything going on the offensive end. Davon Reed also disappointed, going 2 for 9 from the field and 1 for 7 from 3PT.

Neither did the freshmen

Given Miami’s depth issues with only nine scholarship players, it will be imperative this season for the freshmen to contribute in every game. That didn’t happen today, as Bruce Brown finished with 2 points, 4 turnovers, and an early departure with 5 fouls. Dewan Huell wasn’t much better, posting 5 points on 2 for 5 from the field and was a nonfactor offensively. Dejan Vasiljevic was 2 for 7, taking a number of bad threes in key situations.

This loss won’t kill the Canes

A loss to a top 25 team is nothing to be ashamed of, especially for a young team in November. Given the quality of the opponent and that this wasn’t a conference game, the loss is unlikely to have a significant impact on the Canes situation in March.

Up Next

Miami will face the loser of Gonzaga/Florida on Sunday, setting up potential matchups with the rival Gators or 11th ranked Gonzaga. More important than the result will be to see how the Canes respond after the drubbing they took on Friday. Whichever opponent Miami faces will present another good test for a developing Canes team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
We are missing Angel big time. There is no Court General in this team. Newton is looking for his scoring opportunities instead of managing the team.

We are missing Angel big time. There is no Court General in this team. Newton is looking for his scoring opportunities instead of managing the team.

He's a shoot first guard unless someone is cherry picking on a break.

I've only seen Brown the last 2 games, but to me he looks like a better option at the 1 than Newton in that regard.

He's a shoot first guard unless someone is cherry picking on a break.

I've only seen Brown the last 2 games, but to me he looks like a better option at the 1 than Newton in that regard.

There's no PG on the roster. Next year there will be.

Advertisement
Murphy is not a scorer. We need a true a big man that can play D and score. Huell may become that but he needs to add weight and muscle. Brown shows flashes but doesn't shoot the 3 at all.

I know "silver lining" is kind of bull****, but holy **** bruce brown is good and newtons taken the leap to clutch. I think this teams going to be reallly good when they put it together, and we all know Larranaga willl put it together.

Anyone know how many shots we missed within 3 feet of the rim?

We had to miss at least 5-7 layups.

I think they got to start Brown at PG, Newton at 2.

After this game against UF, we have to get Brown prepared to put in serious burn at PG before ACC play. Get him feeling comfortable.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back