Canes drop to #6

i'm no basketball wizard or anything but I would have told who every is guarding him not to eave him at all. Kadji killed us by leaving him to help and leaving him open for the catch and shoot 3's. feel like all of his shots came when someone was running to try and get a hand up. after he hit the first couple and you could see he was going to have a big game we should have never left him uncovered.

I'm pretty sure Coach L told them this. In one of the behind-the-scenes clips we saw of practice during the week (I think it aired on ESPN SportsCenter as hype for the game), there was a short segment where Coach L was running the guys through defensive drills and yelling at them to help on a ball screen. Gamble asked if he should do that if Kelly is the screener, and Coach L's response was something along the lines of "absolutely not."

My view: it's hard to break habits that are usually good ones to have (helping on D). It's not like we could have sat Kadji for some defensive lapses, especially when he otherwise had a very good game. I think doubling Kelly when he caught the ball may have been an option we should have used at times, just to show him a different look and change up his rhythm, but you obviously can't do that for large chunks of the game. The kid was just unconscious against us.

Advertisement
Gonzaga's lack of a legitimate schedule and routine struggle vs mediocre teams disqualifies them from Top 5 in my book. Kansas' three game slide including a loss to TCU also precludes them IMO.

Honestly, it's hard to think the Top 6-7 should consist of anything but Big 10 and ACC teams plus Gonzaga.

Probably should be behind Duke and IU but that's it and I'd favor us against both squads.

NC State will win the ACCCG. You heard it here.

Good pick in October, now not so much. They have been shockingly mediocre this year. Duke and UM are the favorites to win but UNC is a darkhorse and schizophrenic UVA not that far behind. NC State is barely above water.

Advertisement
UNC is playing much better. They'll probably get the 3 seed in the ACC Tourny. Which means, they'll play Duke again after playing them this Saturday. I think we get the winner of that game.

LOL at anyone picking anyone but UM to win the ACCCG we are the best team in the league, Duke got very lucky with Kelly on fire and Reggie ICE COLD, both wont happen again against us.

NCST?? LMAO!

UNC is a very meh team. Zero signature wins. But they have UNC on their jerseys so they must be a threat.

Advertisement
UNC is a very meh team. Zero signature wins. But they have UNC on their jerseys so they must be a threat.

They've started playing a lot better with the "small" lineup and are capable of making a S16 run with the right regional draw. It's a really young team that has started gelling at the right time.

Also, it's sick that a 22 or 23-win regular season where they end 3rd or 4th in the ACC is considered an off-year for them. Prior to this season, we'd chop a toe off for a year like that.

1 Gonzaga (51) 29-2 1,607
2 Indiana (7) 25-4 1,517
3 Duke (5) 25-4 1,471
4 Kansas 25-4 1,433
5 Georgetown (2) 23-4 1,384
6 Miami (FL) 23-5 1,245

Very, very fair. We are highest ranked 5 loss team... If the teams in front of us win out before the NCAA's, they deserve to be #1 IMHO. When a few of them stumble, we're in good position, if we can take care of business. If we can't then that's on us.

Gonzaga's schedule is BS and they haven't beaten anyone. Their best win was against Ok St. Whatever. But that's a macro argument for another thread.

Indiana still has to play OSU and @Mich, and then a tough BIG 10 tourney.

Duke still has to go @UNC and through us in the ACCs.

Kansas' toughest game before the Big 12 conference tournament is @ Baylor, which they should be able to handle, but isn't an automatic. Baylor is 11-5 at home.

Georgetown has to play Syracuse, then go @VILL who is 11-4 at home, and then play in the BE CONF TOURNEY which has 6 ranked teams.

There is a LOT of basketball to go before the NCAA seeds are decided. Look for some major differences between today and then. And we have a very easy schedule compared to all of the above (except ******* Gonzaga). We play two bad teams in our house to finish, so the kids will get some rest with no more travel, and then in the ACC we will be the #1 seed.

Patience, homies. 95% chance we control our own destiny for a #1 seed IMHO. Our RPI and SOS is very, very strong.

:neonu:

And boom, lets get the party started. Down goes #2 Indiana tonight.

We're a long way away from having this sorted. In fact, I'd say we're one tough win away (ACCCG) from getting a 1 seed.

Now here's the catch: we also have to not get upset against lesser teams. Something that's been very hard to do in the NCAA's this season.

2 Indiana (7) 25-4 1,517
3 Duke (5) 25-4 1,471
4 Kansas 25-4 1,433
6 Miami (FL) 23-5 1,245

Very, very fair. We are highest ranked 5 loss team... If the teams in front of us win out before the NCAA's, they deserve to be #1 IMHO. When a few of them stumble, we're in good position, if we can take care of business. If we can't then that's on us.

Gonzaga's schedule is BS and they haven't beaten anyone. Their best win was against Ok St. Whatever. But that's a macro argument for another thread.

Kansas' toughest game before the Big 12 conference tournament is @ Baylor, which they should be able to handle, but isn't an automatic. Baylor is 11-5 at home.

Georgetown has to play Syracuse, then go @VILL who is 11-4 at home, and then play in the BE CONF TOURNEY which has 6 ranked teams.

There is a LOT of basketball to go before the NCAA seeds are decided. Look for some major differences between today and then. And we have a very easy schedule compared to all of the above (except ****ing Gonzaga). We play two bad teams in our house to finish, so the kids will get some rest with no more travel, and then in the ACC we will be the #1 seed.

Patience, homies. 95% chance we control our own destiny for a #1 seed IMHO. Our RPI and SOS is very, very strong.

We're a long way away from having this sorted. In fact, I'd say we're one tough win away (ACCCG) from getting a 1 seed.

Now here's the catch: we also have to not get upset against lesser teams. Something that's been very hard to do in the NCAA's this season.

This is a very weird year for college basketball. Nobody wants to stay in the top 5, let alone #1. IU loses AGAIN and I predict that 3 of the teams ahead of us will lose again as well this year prior to the NCAA Tourney (Georgetown, Duke and Kansas).

Let's just win both games this week, build that momentum and rhythm and get ready for the post-season.

Advertisement
2 Indiana (7) 25-4 1,517
3 Duke (5) 25-4 1,471
4 Kansas 25-4 1,433
6 Miami (FL) 23-5 1,245

There is a LOT of basketball to go before the NCAA seeds are decided. Look for some major differences between today and then. And we have a very easy schedule compared to all of the above (except ****ing Gonzaga). We play two bad teams in our house to finish, so the kids will get some rest with no more travel, and then in the ACC we will be the #1 seed.

This is a very weird year for college basketball. Nobody wants to stay in the top 5, let alone #1. IU loses AGAIN and I predict that 3 of the teams ahead of us will lose again as well this year prior to the NCAA Tourney (Georgetown, Duke and Kansas).

Let's just win both games this week, build that momentum and rhythm and get ready for the post-season.

Amen, brother. Hopefully the team is just concentrating on tonight, and leaving all the speculation to us fans. But I would bet dollars to donuts that if we win out, we're the #1 seed in the East. There is even a chance we could backdoor in as a #1 if we lose one more game. There are that many pitfalls for the teams in front of us. Indiana is going to lose another game I think.

Amen, brother. Hopefully the team is just concentrating on tonight, and leaving all the speculation to us fans. But I would bet dollars to donuts that if we win out, we're the #1 seed in the East. There is even a chance we could backdoor in as a #1 if we lose one more game. There are that many pitfalls for the teams in front of us. Indiana is going to lose another game I think.

I agree, with the caveat that we would need to beat a team like Duke or UNC in the ACC Title match to get us the #1 seed (unless a lot of other teams lose). I could also see us losing to a team like Duke again and still getting a #1 seed if everyone else loses (and in this year, it's definitely possible).

Advertisement

I agree, with the caveat that we would need to beat a team like Duke or UNC in the ACC Title match to get us the #1 seed (unless a lot of other teams lose). I could also see us losing to a team like Duke again and still getting a #1 seed if everyone else loses (and in this year, it's definitely possible).

If we win out, and are regular season AND ACC tourney champs, its a LOCK!

2 Indiana (7) 25-4 1,517
3 Duke (5) 25-4 1,471
4 Kansas 25-4 1,433
6 Miami (FL) 23-5 1,245

There is a LOT of basketball to go before the NCAA seeds are decided. Look for some major differences between today and then. And we have a very easy schedule compared to all of the above (except ******* Gonzaga). We play two bad teams in our house to finish, so the kids will get some rest with no more travel, and then in the ACC we will be the #1 seed.

And boom. Down goes Georgetown too. More to come.

Advertisement
Back