Canes Convos: Defense talks winning the "physical war" with LSU, players-only meetings

Some people are missing the point, look at these quotes:
We had new guys in, The play could’ve been made. It just wasn’t.”

On the importance of players speaking up: “It’s very important,”
It can’t be the coaches. A coach-led team cannot win a championship. It has to be a player-led team.
It has to be people on the team willing to step out front and be the one to say, ‘enough is enough.’

“But a lot of people were doing their job and some people weren’t at certain times.
And at those times it was only a few big plays we gave up.”

On the LSU 50 yard rushing touchdown:
“There were a lot of us doing our job and there were a few guys that didn’t. Sometimes there’s a breakdown.
We understand that it’s not acceptable to have those breakdowns, especially in a big-time game like that.”

Everyone just needs to do their job. Leaders lead and followers follow. You can’t be a leader and not be willing to follow another.”
———————————————————————————————————————————
We still have weak links in the chain. If you’re playing good D, then a big play happens...
You look back there and see ‘Thaphuck’ twins, Wut Thaphuck (Knowles) and/or Why Thaphuck (Dean),
you already know he’s gonna Phuket up like Gus.

Same with ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ (Malik), ‘Charmin’ (Cager) and ‘Awe *****’ (Feagles) - weak links.

The 2018 class will resolve a lot of these issues... eventually.

Advertisement
moralvictory.jpg

I'll say it again, the defense played well enough to win the game. We got burned on a blitz for a long TD run but other than that the defense did a decent job, the offense and Feagles put the defense on a short field the whole night.

The players were mentally fragile. Gotta keep the spirits up. We fans came be depressed and say the season is over and dumb **** like that but the team can't. Its all a mind game.

These players know they phucked up. Let themselves down. Let the fans down. Let the former players down. Let everyone down who over cared about UM Football. But now that's is over. Boo-hoo. We werent winning the title this year anyway or beating Clemson either. Time for positive talk.
And time to get ready for these 3 pushover games and our ACC opponents so we can get back to the ACC title game at the very least which could set us up to be in a BCS bowl game again.
I'm still like **** it.. Appreciate the positive vibes 82 ...

Advertisement
I'll say it again, the defense played well enough to win the game. We got burned on a blitz for a long TD run but other than that the defense did a decent job, the offense and Feagles put the defense on a short field the whole night.

No they didnt.

WTF game were you watching?

This was a total meltdown.

They put their offense in clock burn mode in the second half.

They scored 20 in the first half.

No they didnt.

WTF game were you watching?

This was a total meltdown.

They put their offense in clock burn mode in the second half.

They scored 20 in the first half.

And they were on the field the whole freakn game. I agree that we need to play tighter man coverage, but we held Burrows under 50%, and if you look at the YPC it wasn't great despite a 50 yd td run.

They weren't dominant but they performed well enough for us to win.

And they were on the field the whole freakn game. I agree that we need to play tighter man coverage, but we held Burrows under 50%, and if you look at the YPC it wasn't great despite a 50 yd td run.

They weren't dominant but they performed well enough for us to win.

No they didnt because we never had a chance to win.

Performed well enough to win is a dumb expression. If we lost 6-3 you could probably get away with that.

But they scored 20 in the first half. Burrows stats are skewed by the second half and by the fact that he was not going to throw anything close to a risky pass in the second half.

You must be Manny Diaz's cousin. Part of the reason they were on the field so long had to do with them and their inability to stop LSU on crucial 3rd and 4th downs.

Defense get's a C. I agree if the offense would have scored and not gone the old Rosier 3 and out special with a Feagles **** punts then LSU would not have scored as much. That said, defense gave up the long TD run and several long passing plays in the first half. In the second half LSU already had the route on so they got more conservative and stopped gashing us through the air. I had the feeling LSU could have dropped 50 on us if they had wanted to. So, yeah the defense played ok, but not spectacular by any means.
These players are just reaching for straws after getting their *** kicked on national TV.

Advertisement
We sure played more physical on those two fourth and ones in the same series.......

No they didnt because we never had a chance to win.

Performed well enough to win is a dumb expression. If we lost 6-3 you could probably get away with that.

But they scored 20 in the first half. Burrows stats are skewed by the second half and by the fact that he was not going to throw anything close to a risky pass in the second half.

You must be Manny Diaz's cousin. Part of the reason they were on the field so long had to do with them and their inability to stop LSU on crucial 3rd and 4th downs.

Not a huge fan of Diaz at all and agree we need to be much better on third down, but if you don't think field position didn't play a part in the first half we will just have to agree to disagree.

I was a Feagles apologist last year but that kid is not a D-1 punter, he gave them a short field 3 times in the first half with those shanks.

Good defenses don’t automatically roll over and submit just because the opponent starts a couple possessions 60 yards from the end zone. They force a stop or a turnover and get the ball back.

We were playing a **** offense with a QB, who got there a couple months ago, making his first start, all new skill guys, no marquee RB, 2 OL starters out, and a brand new OC. Yet we gave up 6.5 yards per 1st down play in the first half.

Some guys on here are obsessed with 3rd down because that’s what the talking heads feed us. But if you’re giving up 6.5 yards per 1st down play you’re going to struggle to beat anyone decent.

Advertisement
Good defenses don’t automatically roll over and submit just because the opponent starts a couple possessions 60 yards from the end zone. They force a stop or a turnover and get the ball back.

We were playing a **** offense with a QB, who got there a couple months ago, making his first start, all new skill guys, no marquee RB, 2 OL starters out, and a brand new OC. Yet we gave up 6.5 yards per 1st down play in the first half.

Some guys on here are obsessed with 3rd down because that’s what the talking heads feed us. But if you’re giving up 6.5 yards per 1st down play you’re going to struggle to beat anyone decent.

I don't disagree with you but at the same time there are ton of variables that go into a defensive performance, time of possession, average starting field positon, turnovers, ECT.

Personally, I feel like we rotate too many players and I would love to see the starters on the field more, would've kept Knowles on the sideline during the big TD run. I also felt like our CB's play too far off the line which gave Burrows easy throws to convert 3rd downs. We beat ourselves and I feel the offense and ST's were more responsible for that than the defense.

I don't disagree with you but at the same time there are ton of variables that go into a defensive performance, time of possession, average starting field positon, turnovers, ECT.

Personally, I feel like we rotate too many players and I would love to see the starters on the field more, would've kept Knowles on the sideline during the big TD run. I also felt like our CB's play too far off the line which gave Burrows easy throws to convert 3rd downs. We beat ourselves and I feel the offense and ST's were more responsible for that than the defense.
Most of our defensive problems occur in the first half so I’m not buying the TOP excuse. Field position is a lame excuse too. If they get the ball at their 40 they still need 3 first downs to even get in FG range. Our defense struggles because it’s not very good. That was a pretty bad offense that scored all those points on us.

Advertisement
I am not going to knock the "players only" meeting. They needed it. BIG TIME. Maria Taylor has packed her **** and left for Bristal and left $200 on Pinckneys nightstand, JLo and ARod are off to St Tropez, ESPN wont be talking about us until the FSU game, Hard Rock will be lukewarm this Sat..they are back to reality. They needed this wake up call. Long season to go. They want the attention? They want the hype? They want the "juice"? Go back and get it!

Good Maria Taylor could **** right off. Deep voice dyke lookin *****.

Advertisement
Back