Canes Camp Report: Day 6- Coach Searles

Advertisement
He is battle tested and proven coaching multiple years at Texas, lsu and UGA as well as Virginia tech...

and he is a no nonsense redneck. we arent going to be having no *** photo shoots with him around.

This group may not be the most talented...

But if Coach Searles can improve the Football IQ of his OL (knowing who to block), get them to KEEP blocking through the whistle, and actually emphasize knocking people off the ball (sled work), then that's a HUGE improvement!!

Advertisement
I don't think raw talent is the issue on the line. Most of the guys in line for playing time were four star or high three star recruits coming in. I know highly ranked recruits occasionally bust but it's highly improbable that all these guys are bums. What's more likely is the combination of poor coaching they were getting combined with equally poor conditioning from the previous staff. A lot of these guys should never have been playing as early as they were either but you can pin that on poor recruiting from the previous losers too. It's rare that you see freshman and sophomore linemen come in and dominate. Normally, you'd give a guy a year or two to get stronger before throwing him to the wolves. Hopefully coach Searles and the new strength staff can get these guys in better shape. The potential is there.

As usual, UM fans are wringing their hands and shivering. Now, everyone's in a panic over the talent on the OL based on last year's results. That line was full of guys with little experience, and they were working within a horrible system. There are plenty of highly recruited guys on our OL with which Searels can work.

Our OL was way too fat and slow last year. Looks like they've already dropped a bunch of that pre-diabetic blubber, and that will work wonders.

As usual, UM fans are wringing their hands and shivering. Now, everyone's in a panic over the talent on the OL based on last year's results. That line was full of guys with little experience, and they were working within a horrible system. There are plenty of highly recruited guys on our OL with which Searels can work.

Our OL was way too fat and slow last year. Looks like they've already dropped a bunch of that pre-diabetic blubber, and that will work wonders.

This, we had a huge OL that we asked to zone block, about the worst combo you could ask for.

Advertisement

This, we had a huge OL that we asked to zone block, about the worst combo you could ask for.

Spot on. I've been saying this for 5 years.

Advertisement
Stacy Searels isn't black? Put that man on the Reggie Cleveland All-Stars

What 1899 said. Still find it hard for me to believe even now.

Advertisement
I wish Taylor Gadbois was still here #ThanksAl But hey thank god all we need is just a competent line to really challenge for the ACC this year

Yeah we are really missing him.... Sarcasm*
https://twitter.com/getraining/status/446839119122292737

Truth be told his level of play in 2014 was not even close to sunny Odogwu's play this past season...

I mean theres two more videos of AQM doing the same thing to Jahair Jones and imma assume he could do that to anyone, but i see what you mean. Idk i just remember Gadbois and Feliciano being the only ones who wouldnt take **** from other team's players.

Advertisement
Back