Canes bs Turkeys - Game 3 - 2pm, ACCNX

Advertisement
That's not the scenario I presented. I used the analogy of a starter throwing a complete game. McFarlane is is a former starter accustomed to going multiple innings and was pitching extremely well.

Point is mute now.
But he will argue all night.

That's not the scenario I presented. I used the analogy of a starter throwing a complete game. McFarlane is is a former starter accustomed to going multiple innings and was pitching extremely well.

Point is mute now.
"When a guy is pitching well, leave him in. It doesn't matter who he is."

The phrase is moot point, not mute point. Just an FYI.

Advertisement
So you're telling me that when Ziehl throws a shutdown 8th inning, you think we should bring him out for the 9th and leave Walters in the bullpen?

Because no one here agrees with that.
Walters is the closer. Closing is a specialty that most pitchers aren’t built for. You have to have a special kind of mentality and psyche to be able to consistently close games out.

Ziehl is a great set up man, but he is not a proven closer. If McFarlane was dominating VT hitters, you leave him in until he shows you that he’s tired.

Again, this is not a knock on Ziehl. He’s been great all season long.

Advertisement
Walters is the closer. Closing is a specialty that most pitchers aren’t built for. You have to have a special kind of mentality and psyche to be able to consistently close games out.

Ziehl is a great set up man, but he is not a proven closer. If McFarlane was dominating VT hitters, you leave him in until he shows you that he’s tired.

Again, this is not a knock on Ziehl. He’s been great all season long.
Agree to disagree. It is a stone cold guarantee that this board would flip out if McFarlane stayed in and gave up runs with Ziehl and Walters fresh.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m fine with Gino’s decision today, it’s what’s been working all season. Ziehl just had an off day, it was bound to happen.

Get these next 3 outs and it won’t even matter.

I’m fine with Gino’s decision today, it’s what’s been working all season. Ziehl just had an off day, it was bound to happen.

But you NEVER take a guy out who's pitching well. NEVER.

Yep. I also would have been fine with McFarlane continuing on a short leash there too. It was a judgement call that didn’t work out.

Advertisement
Back