Canes bs Gata - Winner Take All - Nooner, $ECN

Didn't we lose some of the arms we drafted out of HS last summer (Fry, Dirks & Bermudez) and how could they not fill a roster spot on this pitching staff? And why sign them if they couldn't. @scane, someone know?

If Torres doesn't get the Sunday starting role from here forward ...

Advertisement
Didn't we lose some of the arms we drafted out of HS last summer (Fry, Dirks & Bermudez) and how could they not fill a roster spot on this pitching staff? And why sign them if they couldn't. @scane, someone know?

Dirks to my knowledge was injured and never pitched in the fall. It’s possible that it was a long term enough injury that he wouldn’t have been available this spring anyway. Fry was bad. Hard though it may be to believe, bad even for this staff bad. Bermudez came in as a position player. Sometimes PG lists guys as both ways when they’re never going to play one way in college.

If Scinta is out, you’re hamstrung again moving Torres to the rotation. I guess you have to weigh bad starting pitching with not being able to bridge to Walters even with good starting pitching.

It's good our pitchers are learning some hard lessons. You can't get away with serving up pitches over the middle of the plate.

Best to learn that now before ACC play, but they better be quick learners or we are going to see the homerun ball all season.
I don't think it's about talent. Talent is made up of the the physical tools of throwing. We have plenty of talented pitchers who throw hard. This is a location issue. For some reason, the veteran pitchers are not locating pitches. We saw some of that from the young pitchers today, but the young guys in Torres and Scinta have been good at locating their pitches a majority of their outings.
Hate to disagree with you but it has everything to do with talent. If not, everyone would be a great pitcher. Some pitchers don't have control or the ability to "locate". If everyone just focused on throwing 95 and locating each pitch then everyone could do it.

We don't have the pitchers and not sure our coaches have the ability to "develop" them. Not too many of our pitchers are in the majors.

Advertisement
Dirks to my knowledge was injured and never pitched in the fall. It’s possible that it was a long term enough injury that he wouldn’t have been available this spring anyway. Fry was bad. Hard though it may be to believe, bad even for this staff bad. Bermudez came in as a position player. Sometimes PG lists guys as both ways when they’re never going to play one way in college.

If Scinta is out, you’re hamstrung again moving Torres to the rotation. I guess you have to weigh bad starting pitching with not being able to bridge to Walters even with good starting pitching.
Tough day and quite a let down after last night. But if we're really being objective, all very predictable.

Time to put Kaden Martin on the hill.

Advertisement
Haha. That would be our luck. But just to be clear I mean we are fighting to even get in a regional down the stretch. Unless something drastic happens with starting pitching missing the post season is not a stretch.
The full spiral scenario definitely isn’t hard to envision. With four ranked road series in six weeks after the next two weeks, you don’t want to drop many, if any, home series. Those first two home series also don’t happen to be a walk in the park if you’ve got pitching trouble.

So I’ll just say it;

This team continues to be a boom or bust squad. They rely tooooo much on the long ball vs. situational baseball. When I see a team that’s supposed to be a superior opponent struggle w/ the likes of PSU, FAU, Dartmouth (Game 1), this early, those r red flags.

We can’t keep trying to win games 10-4 or 9-7. I’m seeing the same chit for the past few seasons. Tired of losing to these suck *** Gators.

Advertisement
Its a bit of an extreme but I think this staff needs something different.

Move Ligon To Fridays is obvious. If Gino and JD just feel Ziehl and Rosario are two of our best options put them together on Saturdays.

Start Rosario because mentally I cant see him being a reliever. Let him go as long as you can then go to Ziehl knowing he can potentially give you 2-4. While they are both RHP Rosario tends to work arms side and Ziehl tends to work glove side. Then Sunday is the question. Go Chestnutt/Scinta(if healthy)/Torres. Whoever starts the deeper they go maybe you dont end up needing the 3rd guy on the day and he gets the mid week start and becomes of a piece of the puzzle below.

The other piece then is if you use all these guys on the weekend you go johnny all staff mid week. 1-2 innings for whoever is left. Its not a recipe for wins but it gets all your young arms innings consistently. If JD is doing his job every arms on this staff should be able to get you 1-2 clean innings mid week vs the teams we are playing.

Wait....what happened to Scinta?

Who collided in the OF?

Last edited:
Good series Canes. Very resilient and talented team. It was looking like our bullpen was going to cough it up again today, but we were fortunate. You guys are going to be a tough as **** out in the post season. Good luck the rest of the way. Hope your guys are OK after the collision in the outfield.
Who collided in the OF?

Advertisement
Wait....what happened to Scinta?

Who collided in the OF?
Villegas and Levenson collided, and Villegas had to leave the game. Before the trainer could take Villegas into the dugout, he was called over to the mound because Scinta had grabbed at his arm after throwing the pitch on the same play. He also had to leave. We reached the mercy rule threshold a couple minutes later.

How many times has UF mercy ruled us since Sully took over? Feels like it has to be over 5 at this point… and one of which being in front of a sold out crowd in Omaha 🤣

Last edited:
Villegas and Levenson collided, and Villegas had to leave the game. Before the trainer could take Villegas into the dugout, he was called over to the mound because Scinta had grabbed at his arm after throwing the pitch on the same play. He also had to leave. We reached the mercy rule threshold a couple minutes later.
Thank you. Sorry I asked

#UHellth

So I’ll just say it;

This team continues to be a boom or bust squad. They rely tooooo much on the long ball vs. situational baseball. When I see a team that’s supposed to be a superior opponent struggle w/ the likes of PSU, FAU, Dartmouth (Game 1), this early, those r red flags.

We can’t keep trying to win games 10-4 or 9-7. I’m seeing the same chit for the past few seasons. Tired of losing to these suck *** Gators.

don't know about you, relly. but this "same old, same old" is just EXHAUSTING!

at least with football, we realized the same sh*t wasn't working, and we needed transformational changes. we have a ways to go, but no one can say we aren't scratching, spitting, and crawling to give ourselves a fighting chance to get there.

with hoops? Coach L has a system, a philosophy driven by his own experience. he knows it inside and out, and he has everyone on the same page understanding how to best make it work for Miami. he sticks to a good plan, tweaks it where and when he needs to, and we actually have a real program worth talking about.

baseball?

we've been mostly a disaster since Morris retired (without officially telling anyone), 3 years before he actually left the program.

with the exception of some "boom amidst the bust", have we really been anything but chaotic and consistently underwhelming? We haven't sniffed the CWS or a Super Regional, or even a conference championship since 2016. there's nothing about this team that leads anyone to believe we will ever be other than a "middle of the pack" player, and no one in the AD's office seems to care that Gino can't coach his way out of a one car driveway. He's in year 5, and .... exactly where is he heading?

i have zero faith in Gino or this program, and where football's long reign of mediocrity made me angry, this just makes me sad.

Advertisement
Back