Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I don’t agree in terms of first time HC. Our football didn’t fall off because they hired first time coaches. They hired bad coaches who couldn’t lead a high level program. Butch Davis was a first time HC and he didn’t pretty good despite starting off in a highly difficult situation.

Kevin O’Sullivan was a first time HC at Florida. Scott Brown will be a first time HC somewhere at some point.

I want a good HC who can lead and I see no reason why Tulowitzki isn’t that type of guy. I see him as more O’Sullivan than Randy Shannon or Manny Diaz.
I tend to agree. As @Allabouttheu95 said, if the search is legit, it will weed out the pretenders from the contenders. And Rad knows this is the first major new hire w his mark on it.

There was no search done for Manny, Randy or Gino. They were good Assistants, but unprofessionally-done HC hires.

Still waiting for Rogers to post the full article about our search….
giphy.gif

Definitely like the discussion of what recruiting triumphs certain HC candidates would bring here. ...but would also like to hear more about other (NEW) assistant coaches. I think McDonnell (likely) bringing Roger Williams makes him a clear Top 3, sorry it seems that he's not seemingly in the realistic mix. Sure, maybe Troy could find some homerun adds to the staff, but nicer if a winning "team" comes here...

...Another way of saying: if we keep same pitching and batting coaches I don't think even Casey Stengel would be able to achieve what's desired.

Definitely like the discussion of what recruiting triumphs certain HC candidates would bring here. ...but would also like to hear more about other (NEW) assistant coaches. I think McDonnell (likely) bringing Roger Williams makes him a clear Top 3, sorry it seems that he's not seemingly in the realistic mix. Sure, maybe Troy could find some homerun adds to the staff, but nicer if a winning "team" comes here...

...Another way of saying: if we keep same pitching and batting coaches I don't think even Casey Stengel would be able to achieve what's desired.
Agree. Total fresh start is needed - HC and assistants. Doubt Rad makes any new HC keep the assistants. And no JD for HC - time for new ideas and a coach who is hungry to win and recruits his ba*** off.

Advertisement
I don’t agree in terms of first time HC. Our football didn’t fall off because they hired first time coaches. They hired bad coaches who couldn’t lead a high level program. Butch Davis was a first time HC and he didn’t pretty good despite starting off in a highly difficult situation.

Kevin O’Sullivan was a first time HC at Florida. Scott Brown will be a first time HC somewhere at some point.

I want a good HC who can lead and I see no reason why Tulowitzki isn’t that type of guy. I see him as more O’Sullivan than Randy Shannon or Manny Diaz.

1686779304117.png

A lot easier to take Neto at Campbell than at Miami. Mid major guys get far too much credit for finding “diamonds in the rough” IMO. There’s always late bloomers in all sports. You just can’t afford to take a roster full of kids that need 2 years to be elite, at most P5 programs. I mean there’s a reason the kid ended up at Campbell, and not at one of the Big 3 schools.

I’m all for praising those guys for developing kids like that though.
It took Dom 2.5 seasons before he started hitting like an ACC shortstop though
[/QUOTE]

I’m not excusing other decisions. Just saying there’s a reason he ended up where he ended up. That’s how good he was at that time.

From what I’m hearing there are gonna be some mad people in here. Nothing done yet but one particular guy is the favorite.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back