Canes Baseball Coaching Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm naïve, but I cannot imagine a guy negotiating while he is getting ready for the CWS, but he would be a ridiculous hire. He coached at the Univ. of NOLA (actually coached my buddy there), so I don't think he would be adverse to city life.
Interesting is this before they went to division three?

Advertisement
@Tarheel1985 I think you nailed it on Scott. Not sure he would enjoy the SFLA lifestyle. Not in a despiteful sense. I just think he is more Carolina/small town feel guy. But awesome guy.

Home run
Pollard
McDonnell
Heefner

Standup Double
Brown
Walter

Single
Kingston

Need Eval
Tulo
Jay

Comeback Gino
JD
FU, FU and FU! Who's next?

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_103605_01.jpg
    IMG_20230614_103605_01.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3
Advertisement
Home run
Pollard
McDonnell
Heefner

Standup Double
Brown
Walter

Single
Kingston

Need Eval
Tulo
Jay

Comeback Gino
JD
Justin Haire I'd add in as a stand-up double. 5 straight conference titles, 4 of 5 doubled as tournament champs. 5 straight regionals. Going the small school route he'd probably be my top choice aside from someone like Cliff Godwin who I assume just won't leave ECU.

Jim Penders (if he would leave UConn) would be a homerun hire. Probably a lifer there, though.

I'm not as high on Heefner or Pollard but much higher on Walter. Walter, Rob Vaughn, and McDonnell would have been my top 3 (somewhat realistic) existing college HCs.

Guys like Tulo and Jay are very intriguing to me but totally dependent on who their pitching coach would be. No doubt Tulo can recruit and already understands recruiting.. he'd probably stir up national recruiting to a new level. Jay not so much but he'd have massive pull in south florida because he's so involved and connected there.

Justin Haire I'd add in as a stand-up double. 5 straight conference titles, 4 of 5 doubled as tournament champs. 5 straight regionals. Going the small school route he'd probably be my top choice aside from someone like Cliff Godwin who I assume just won't leave ECU.

Jim Penders (if he would leave UConn) would be a homerun hire. Probably a lifer there, though.

I'm not as high on Heefner or Pollard but much higher on Walter. Walter, Rob Vaughn, and McDonnell would have been my top 3 (somewhat realistic) existing college HCs.

Guys like Tulo and Jay are very intriguing to me but totally dependent on who their pitching coach would be. No doubt Tulo can recruit and already understands recruiting.. he'd probably stir up national recruiting to a new level. Jay not so much but he'd have massive pull in south florida because he's so involved and connected there.
Haire saw something in Zach Neto, 13th pick overall last year and the first of his draft class to make it to the Show. He went to high school just a couple of miles from UM and DiMare and Co. never gave him so much as a look.

Advertisement
Haire saw something in Zach Neto, 13th pick overall last year and the first of his draft class to make it to the Show. He went to high school just a couple of miles from UM and DiMare and Co. never gave him so much as a look.
I saw Neto the summer before his senior year and knew he was a good player but never thought he’d be what he is now.

Guys slip through the cracks.

I’ve been more concerned with identifying and developing arms. Neto would have been nice to have but can’t fault them there.

I guess I'm naïve, but I cannot imagine a guy negotiating while he is getting ready for the CWS, but he would be a ridiculous hire. He coached at the Univ. of NOLA (actually coached my buddy there), so I don't think he would be adverse to city life.
I would have to believe he has an agent that won’t be on any lineup card who can relay any potential interest, though it seems very unlikely to me. We are though, despite our struggles of late like our football program, truly still a strong brand in college baseball.

Regardless of the funds Wake has available
We should still be seen as a step up to sleeping giant. Hard to believe he would want to leave the monster he has built though

I saw Neto the summer before his senior year and knew he was a good player but never thought he’d be what he is now.

Guys slip through the cracks.

I’ve been more concerned with identifying and developing arms. Neto would have been nice to have but can’t fault them there.
He actually had a career ERA of 3.25 as a reliever at Campbell.

honest question. then what is the purpose of the interview?

Gotta give him a chance, who knows maybe he blows UM away with his interview/vision of the future? Just because I or you don’t think he should get the job doesn’t mean others don’t.

To coldly dismiss him and not show any respect would reverberate with a lot alums and program supporters.

Advertisement
honest question. then what is the purpose of the interview?
Same reasons you interview for a promotion you aren’t yet ready for. The experience helps a ton and gives you an idea of where you need to improve. Similar reason why Omier and Pack entered the draft when they knew they’d be coming back.

For UM to not even interview him would be perceived as a slap in the face by enough of the wrong people that have ties. People we want to support the next guy. It’s an easy win-win for both parties.

Probably never usually smart for me to assume, but I am with Rad and an understanding that if he goes Tulo, a financial commitment will have to be made to surround him with experience.

Advertisement
Probably never usually smart for me to assume, but I am with Rad and an understanding that if he goes Tulo, a financial commitment will have to be made to surround him with experience.
I'm sure. I don't think finances or commitment to fixing it is going to be any issue which may attract someone like Dan McDonnell from what he's dealing with at Louisville. I'd certainly go that direction if it was open to happening or someone along those same lines.

The tricky part will be selecting the right person. Tulo definitely has some risk just like Jon Jay would as well. I think either of them could get it done though. Texas players and assistant gave him a ton of credit for the drastic improvements they made hitting and fielding while he was there.

Anybody know why Tulowitzki stopped coaching at Texas?
I was reading on it a few days ago.. he's been "consulting" in the college baseball space this year. He turned down USC and someone I asked said declining that job and moving from Texas seemed like he wanted to position himself to land a high profile job this off-season and prepare for that. USC wasn't right because they don't have a big commitment anymore and their facilities and fan support are lacking. I don't know that for a fact.. don't know a lot about modern day USC baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back