Canes 13 1/2 pt underdog at Lville tonight

Some points:

1. Sam's effort and play. The guy has clearly turned the page and is playing pretty pretty pretty good basketball. He was/is injured and is still busting his a$s. Here are Sam's last 7 games (since the end of that tourney):

ILL: 34 Minutes, 12 Points and 8 Rebounds
AAMU: 29 Minutes, 11 Points, 9 Rebounds and 2 Blocks
Temple: 35 Minutes, 8 Points, 5 Rebounds and 3 Blocks
Copp: 29 Minutes, 15 Points, 11 Rebounds and 2 Blocks
Clemson: 40 Minutes, 7 Points, 6 Rebounds and 1 Block
Duke: 28 Minutes, 11 Points, 6 Rebounds and 1 Block
UL: 30 Minutes, 5 Points, 10 Rebounds and 1 Block

Averages over the last 7 games: 32 MPG, 10 PPG, 8 RPG and 1.4 BPG

2. DJ. He didn't have a good game by any means. He finished with 12 Points, 5 Rebounds and 1 Steal. His shooting was atrocious, 2-11 from 3PT and 4-16 FG. DJ was off last night and he was even missing open looks. With that said, you don't put him on the bench last night. For those advocating sitting him (last night), you have NO OPTIONS. Putting in Walker for DJ makes no sense.

3. Front Court and 4 Guard Lineup:

- Injuries are part of the game and not unique to Miami. When a guy has ACL surgery in 2019, it can't be expected that there are no set-backs less than a year later. I don't know the severity of Stone's injury but what can you.

- I find it comical that Coach finally went to 4 guards last night for a good portion of the game. He did it with Wong and he played 26 minutes. So to review: (a) Stone is out, (b) Sam is limited (due to injury), (c) Bev is limited (due to injury) and (d) Gak is already done. You would think that Rodney was going to be forced out there and play close to 30 Minutes. Nope. With the fewest options, including guard, he goes to 4 guards. Better now than never. I guess Coach finally saw Rodney won't be the "double-double" guy he expected. IMO, Rodney is not the future of this team. In addition, he doesn't give us the best chance to win now. His minutes should be limited and the freshman must be given burn. If Stone is out, then you play 4 guards the majority of the game.

Rodney's Performance against ACC Competition:

UL: 21 Minutes, 0 Points and 6 Rebounds
Duke: 29 Minutes, 8 Points, 3 Rebounds and 1 Block
Clemson: 12 Minutes, 0 points and 2 Rebounds
UL: 20 Minutes, 6 Points and 9 Rebounds

Averages: 20.5 MPG, 3.5 PPG, 5 RPG and .25 BPG

4. Going Forward. Up next we play Pitt [10-4 (1-2)] and they're not good. Pitt plays on the road tonight against UNC. I hope that Coach will limit Rodney and play a 4 guard lineup. Play the freshman, they're the future. Once you committed to NOT redshirtting them, it makes no sense (given our lack of numbers) to sit them. This doesn't mean start the freshman, it just means play them. They will make mistakes but they're freshman and it is expected.

Advertisement
Does anyone actually think this team will be THAT good next year? I see nothing to prove otherwise. We don't have one single player that would get big minutes on the top acc teams.

Some points:

1. Sam's effort and play. The guy has clearly turned the page and is playing pretty pretty pretty good basketball. He was/is injured and is still busting his a$s. Here are Sam's last 7 games (since the end of that tourney):

ILL: 34 Minutes, 12 Points and 8 Rebounds
AAMU: 29 Minutes, 11 Points, 9 Rebounds and 2 Blocks
Temple: 35 Minutes, 8 Points, 5 Rebounds and 3 Blocks
Copp: 29 Minutes, 15 Points, 11 Rebounds and 2 Blocks
Clemson: 40 Minutes, 7 Points, 6 Rebounds and 1 Block
Duke: 28 Minutes, 11 Points, 6 Rebounds and 1 Block
UL: 30 Minutes, 5 Points, 10 Rebounds and 1 Block

Averages over the last 7 games: 32 MPG, 10 PPG, 8 RPG and 1.4 BPG

2. DJ. He didn't have a good game by any means. He finished with 12 Points, 5 Rebounds and 1 Steal. His shooting was atrocious, 2-11 from 3PT and 4-16 FG. DJ was off last night and he was even missing open looks. With that said, you don't put him on the bench last night. For those advocating sitting him (last night), you have NO OPTIONS. Putting in Walker for DJ makes no sense.

3. Front Court and 4 Guard Lineup:

- Injuries are part of the game and not unique to Miami. When a guy has ACL surgery in 2019, it can't be expected that there are no set-backs less than a year later. I don't know the severity of Stone's injury but what can you.

- I find it comical that Coach finally went to 4 guards last night for a good portion of the game. He did it with Wong and he played 26 minutes. So to review: (a) Stone is out, (b) Sam is limited (due to injury), (c) Bev is limited (due to injury) and (d) Gak is already done. You would think that Rodney was going to be forced out there and play close to 30 Minutes. Nope. With the fewest options, including guard, he goes to 4 guards. Better now than never. I guess Coach finally saw Rodney won't be the "double-double" guy he expected. IMO, Rodney is not the future of this team. In addition, he doesn't give us the best chance to win now. His minutes should be limited and the freshman must be given burn. If Stone is out, then you play 4 guards the majority of the game.

Rodney's Performance against ACC Competition:

UL: 21 Minutes, 0 Points and 6 Rebounds
Duke: 29 Minutes, 8 Points, 3 Rebounds and 1 Block
Clemson: 12 Minutes, 0 points and 2 Rebounds
UL: 20 Minutes, 6 Points and 9 Rebounds

Averages: 20.5 MPG, 3.5 PPG, 5 RPG and .25 BPG

4. Going Forward. Up next we play Pitt [10-4 (1-2)] and they're not good. Pitt plays on the road tonight against UNC. I hope that Coach will limit Rodney and play a 4 guard lineup. Play the freshman, they're the future. Once you committed to NOT redshirtting them, it makes no sense (given our lack of numbers) to sit them. This doesn't mean start the freshman, it just means play them. They will make mistakes but they're freshman and it is expected.
Bottomline is Rodney Miller is a huge bust it appears, how can someone so big with potential be so bad?! I guess some big guys just don't have the killer instinct and don't have the hustle in them like for example Julian Gamble. Miller was a bad evaluation/gamble by Coach L but that happens in sports all the time.

Last edited:
Bottomline is Rodney Miller is a huge bust it appears, how can someone so big with potential be so bad?! I guess some big guys just don't have the killer instinct and don't have the hustle in them like for example Julian Gamble. Miller was a bad evaluation/gamble by Coach L but that happens in sports all the time.

It's far simpler than not having killer instinct and hustle. He isn't skilled or coordinated. Message board scouts unanimously knew it when he signed here. He went from being fat, slow, unathletic, and weak to not fat, still slow, still unathletic, and still weak.

Advertisement
Did anyone hear the quote by the announcer last night that sums up Larranaga and his JV staff.... "Larranaga's offense is tough to stop when they are hitting shots because all it is, is 1 on 1 basketball."

I have a major issue with this offense given our MAJOR talent deficiencies every single time we take the floor

Did anyone hear the quote by the announcer last night that sums up Larranaga and his JV staff.... "Larranaga's offense is tough to stop when they are hitting shots because all it is, is 1 on 1 basketball."

I have a major issue with this offense given our MAJOR talent deficiencies every single time we take the floor
5 assists last night. Just comical.

We very rarely get any good clean looks. He asks undersized, mostly athletically challenged guards to make tough plays off the dribble, sometimes in a 1 vs. 3 manner. When those tough shots aren't falling like they weren't last night, our offense is complete and utter garbage.

Advertisement
Because Miller has no athleticism whatsoever. Not to be disrespectful but has knock knees and a bad body.

Does anyone actually think this team will be THAT good next year? I see nothing to prove otherwise. We don't have one single player that would get big minutes on the top acc teams.

Yes, they can be very good next season. Earl Timberlake has to start as he and Matt Cross will add some much needed toughness to the team. Wong, Beverly and Walker should take big step forward especially if they can play this season and learn from their mistakes. Lykes, McGusty and Wardenburg will be the senior leaders.
This is where Coach L will determine how good the team will be. Coach L absolutely has to sign 2 very good freshman bigs with the last two scholarships(Cliff Omoruyi and Dylan Cardwell or Daniel Batcho). Rodney Miller cannot start at center next season, this is not an option. Nysier Brooks is a backup center per his stats and highlights from his time at Cincinnati. With 2 season ending knee surgeries in consecutive years, nothing should be expected from Deng Gak. Miami absolutely has to use all 13 scholarships next season.
Ultimately, the team should be much better than the product on the floor but Coach L and his coaching style is holding the team back.
Coach L needs to model his team after Leonard Hamilton. Leonard is beating teams with a deep, athletic and talented roster using all 13 scholarships every year.

Advertisement
I am not against the 4 guard lineup but the key is how well do the 4 guards defend and how well does your one big rebound.
When Rodney is not rebounding then he needs to be benched for a period of time. I also feel the same way about DJ. When DJ is not making jumpshots then he should be benched for a period of time.
Getting Anthony Walker some minutes and experience is more important than watching DJ miss shots and watching Rodney jog up the court taking up space.
Of course with me saying this and the next two games against Pittsburgh and NC State, Rodney and DJ should have two good games in a row.

We may need a few good performances from our better players versus Pittsburgh, 11-4 and just beat NC tonight (sure NC is not the same as other years).

I surely share the dismay over the shoddy defense this year's team tends to show (although there were some bright spans versus Louisville) and the unathletic play, but the offense has really been the pits way too often. Luckily, the non-ACC opponents are sometimes equal or worse.

We do this 1 on 1 playground stuff resulting in mostly bad shots, few assists or strategic plays or ploys, and no one around to scoop a rebound on the many longer misses, which are as bad as turnovers. We also seem to miss many open and easier shots for a competitive ACC team. Which leads to sunken shoulders and a pouting defense that then becomes especially porous until someone gets hot.

I remember Duke going way cold versus Miami not that long ago, and Coach K yanked ALL 5 starters off the floor for several minutes as we had a double-digit early lead. We eventually lost by 20 or so. I'd like to see haphazard or extra-cold shooters take a seat, even if it means Willie, at some of these times. So shoot me, if you are like DJ and Lykes many recent nights, you will miss anyway.

Coach L watches this everyday in practice and decided Rodney should start.
Decisions like this makes me wonder if it is time to move on from Coach L.
I will not overreact as everyone makes a bad decision from time to time.
Let's hope Coach L does not make that same mistake again next season.

Advertisement
I never thought there would be so much conversation regarding Rodney Miller. He was a one-look guy, just like Tate Martell. I saw Tate Martell for one play against the Gators and that was all it required. No different than Rodney Miller a few years ago. Watch for 7 seconds, the equivalent of a football play. Big uncoordinated goof. Major credit to him for losing weight and maximizing his potential, which was virtually nonexistent.

Markedly more interesting team than last year. It's kind of like a spread football team with no defense whatsoever.

Ever since I started attending these games 5 or 6 years ago Larranaga's offense has been woeful by ACC standards. Four guys behind the 3 point line at all times and somebody please make a play.

This year our freshmen are the ****y playgrounds types who think they are hot stuff from the neighborhood, until they take a trip to a real neighborhood.

I never thought there would be so much conversation regarding Rodney Miller. He was a one-look guy, just like Tate Martell. I saw Tate Martell for one play against the Gators and that was all it required. No different than Rodney Miller a few years ago. Watch for 7 seconds, the equivalent of a football play. Big uncoordinated goof. Major credit to him for losing weight and maximizing his potential, which was virtually nonexistent.

Markedly more interesting team than last year. It's kind of like a spread football team with no defense whatsoever.

Ever since I started attending these games 5 or 6 years ago Larranaga's offense has been woeful by ACC standards. Four guys behind the 3 point line at all times and somebody please make a play.

This year our freshmen are the ****y playgrounds types who think they are hot stuff from the neighborhood, until they take a trip to a real neighborhood.

Best way to put it that I have seen on this board. Agree on all fronts.

In regards to Miller, he has a slim amount of game offensively. If he was asked to play 6-8 minutes a night trying to score I would have no issue with it. Him logging big minutes is scary.

It isn't Rodney, nobody hates Rodney (himself). It is what he represents; an inefficient use of a scholarship and unfounded reliance on a sub-par basketball player. He has been on scholarship for 4 years (this is his 4th year). Did Coach really think Rodney was a double-double player? Possibly he was trying to motivate him but so much reliance? How about a backup plan? He isn't good. He isn't an ACC quality player either. Why didn't we bring in actual help? Nobody is saying they didn't try (to bring in another player) but bring in some filler, at least. Provide some alternate options.

Let me say it a different way. Our staff is relying on Rodney to play 20+ MPG and start in every game. Rodney is not an ACC quality starter. Rodney is hardly an ACC quality bench player. Rodney struggles to play 20+ MPG because he can't run and this is after all the weight loss. In addition, he isn't a skilled basketball player.

With that said, our best big man sits on the bench. We choose to NOT apply for a waiver. We know nothing is guaranteed but how do you not apply?

Larranaga stop being such a crusty, old a-hole:

G Lykes
G DJ
G Beverly
G McGusty
F Wberg

Bench: Wong, Walker, Miller

Advertisement
Back