CaneHunt ’14: Weak-Side Defensive End | Feb 20

View as article

TexCane

Sophomore
CaneHunt ’14: Weak-Side Defensive End (WDE)

Miami will offer scholarships to approximately 170-200 prospects every year. Each school has a BIG Board and position boards, which list prospects by their priorities. Our “CaneHunt” boards are our attempt to “guess” the Hurricanes’ recruiting priorities. These boards can and probably will change throughout the recruiting cycle. Check back often during the year to check on the boards and get the latest updates on prospects. I hope you enjoy CaneHunt ’14.

Miami Need: 1-2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

1. Name: Chad Thomas

Hometown/School: Booker T. Washington (Miami, FL)
HT: 6-4 / WT: 230 / 40:
Season Stats: 2012 – 62 tackles / 5 sacks
247Sports Composite: Rating: 91 / Rank: #13 WDE
Scouting Report (s): Not available
Schools of Interest: ( 9 ) UM, FSU, LSU, UF, Louisville, Ole Miss, TAM, Marshall, UCF
Leader(s): UM, FSU, LSU
Chance: Too early

UPDATES:

2/20/13:

Chad Thomas is a quality WDE from South Florida. He is the #13 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. Miami is in very good position with Chad. He’s been to campus for a recent Junior Day and has established solid relationships with the coaching staff.

FSU hopes to continue their success at BTW and are targeting Chad. Chad has loved the Noles in the early stages of this process. LSU has also started making a run at Thomas. I’m sure more schools will join the hunt soon. It’s a long way to NSD.

2. Name: Lorenzo Carter

Hometown/School: Norcross (Norcross, GA)
HT: 6-6 / WT: 232 / 40:
Season Stats: 136 tackles | 45 tackles for loss | 18 sacks
247Sports Composite: Rating 96 / Rank: #4 WDE
Schools of Interest: (27) Bama, Aub, UF, FSU, UGA, GT, Miami, Miss. St, ND, So. Car., Vandy
Leader(s): Too early

UPDATES:

2/20/13: Lorenzo Carter is a stud, 5-Star WDE from Georgia. He’s rated at 96 and the #4 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. Lorenzo has already been “offered” by 27 schools. Carter is very tall and very quick off the ball, making him an elite pass rusher. Some say he’s the best off the edge pass rusher in this class.

Our primary competition will be from Georgia and Alabama. He will be a tough pull for the Canes. Then again, we have the Tie.

3. Name: Keyon Brown

Hometown/School: Hardee (Wauchula, FL)
HT: 6-2 / WT: 230 / 40: 4.78
Season Stats: 17 sacks
247Sports Composite: Rating: 95 / Rank: #7 WDE
Schools of Interest: (13) UM, FSU, So. Car., Pitt, Clem, UF,UGA, LSU, UCF…
Leader(s): UM, FSU, So. Car.

UPDATES:

2/20/13: Keyon Brown is an elite WDE from Florida. He’s rated a 95 and ranks as the #7 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. Keyon is very athletic and quick off the edge. He’s been terrorizing passers for a couple of years as evidenced by his 17 sacks last season.

Miami jumped on Keyon early in the process. He’s already been to campus three times and has developed a very good relationship with Coach Jethro Franklin. Our competition will likely come from FSU and South Carolina, with Florida in the mix. It’s curious that none of those schools has yet offered Brown. Miami is taking full advantage of that situation.

4. Name: Myles Garrett

Hometown/School: Arlington, TX (James Martin)
HT: 6-4 / WT: 240 / 40: 4.70
Season Stats: NA
247Sports Composite: Rating: 94 / Rank: #8 WDE
Scouting Report (s): NA
Schools of Interest: (12) LSU, TCU, TAM, ALA, UM, OK, Oregon…
Leader(s): LSU, TCU, TAM

UPDATES:

2/20/13: Myles Garrett is an elite WDE from Dallas, Texas. He’s rated a 96 and ranks as the #5 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite. He will be tough pull for the Canes. Myles recently declared Texas A&M his early leader after attending one of their Junior Days. TCU and LSU will also be in the mix. Garrett will be a hard pull for the Canes.

5. Name: Melvin Keihn

Hometown/School: Gilman (Baltimore, MD)
HT: 6-3 / WT: 225 / 40:
Season Stats: (2 yrs.) 51 tackles | 9 tackles for loss | 26 sacks
247Sports Composite: Rating: 91 / Rank: #14 WDE
Schools of Interest: (16) UM, GT, Md. UNC, UVA, VT, ND

UPDATES:

2/20/13: Melvin Keihn is a quality WDE from Baltimore powerhouse Gilman School. He’s rated a 91 and ranks as the #14 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite.

Miami has made good in-roads in the Washington-Baltimore area over the past few years. Keihn is much like Hunter Knighton in that both are from top academic schools. Academics will be a major factor for Melvin. This will be a major test to see how much progress UM is making in this small but fertile area. Notre Dame, UVA and UNC appear to be our major competition.

:cigar:

Attachments

• cane_hunt graphic Final.jpg
    cane_hunt graphic Final.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 4
Advertisement

5. Name: Melvin Keihn

Hometown/School: Gilman (Baltimore, MD)
HT: 6-3 / WT: 225 / 40:
Season Stats: (2 yrs.) 51 tackles | 9 tackles for loss | 26 sacks
247Sports Composite: Rating: 91 / Rank: #14 WDE
Schools of Interest: (16) UM, GT, Md. UNC, UVA, VT, ND

UPDATES:

2/20/13: Melvin Keihn is a quality WDE from Baltimore powerhouse Gilman School. He’s rated a 91 and ranks as the #14 WDE in the nation, according to 247Sports Composite.

Miami has made good in-roads in the Washington-Baltimore area over the past few years. Keihn is much like Hunter Knighton in that both are from top academic schools. Academics will be a major factor for Melvin. This will be a major test to see how much progress UM is making in this small but fertile area. Notre Dame, UVA and UNC appear to be our major competition.

0042_9xswk.gif

Give me Lorenzo Carter if we pull him in i may cream my pants

Last edited:
Advertisement
Give me Carter and im FAP'n until he leaves the U sure to give me permanent arthritis for the rest of my life

I thought I was the only one that thought ol dude looked like Darryl Sharpton.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back