Cane fans in Canada

How do Canadians become Miami fans?

Please share your stories, TIA.

I hadn't ever seen a college game before the 2003 Fiesta. A friends dad was watching the game and he was cheering for Ohio State. Seeing the Miami teams speed and passion I instantly fell in love with the Canes. The skill, swagger and us against the world mentality was on full display that night. I had never seen so many players wearing visors haha I was hooked. I went out and bought one the next day and had to go to the doctors to get it approved for "medical reasons" so I could wear it for the rest of my football season.

That night I witnessed the Great Sean Taylor play football for the first time. I tried to played safety like that the rest of my high school football days(obviously didn't come close). Changed my favourite pro team to the redskins because they drafted him.

They became my favourite team, I barely watch any other sport. No one else around here follows or cares about the canes. So I come to this board for my canes fix. I'm thankful for canes insight!

Advertisement
For me it started because my older brother was a Dolphins fan, and I so I started rooting for them too - which wasn't hard in the 80's with Marino.

I absolutely loved football from a young age, and so when I tuned in to college I was on the lookout for a team. Everyone around me loved Michigan, but that just didn't feel right to me. I saw "wow, there is a Miami in college too" and started watching. Given that it was the 80's, it was easy to get hooked. For me, I always cheered for them not just because they were a winning team, but because of who they are. I always had a great love and admiration for the passion of the players on Miami.

I grew up a traditional hockey guy, so on paper most would think I would hate Miami, since I tend to hate the loudmouths and we're taught to handle our business quietly without complaint - but people that understand Miami know that what lies under the surface is different than other loud or brash players. Most of those players are usually posers and selfish, but the Miami guys are the guys that bust their hump and will lay it all on the line for their brothers and play with no fear. I love and respect that. And while normally I don't like c0ckiness, I don't mind one bit the Miami boys putting the middle finger up to the college aristocracy, they deserve it (I hate the stuck up, look down your nose types more than anything).

So even though we come from a far different place and different background, the "Miami guys" have always been "my kind of guys".

I’ve watched every game on TV since VT. No issue at all here in Manitoba.

Grandfather bought me some Miami stuff when I was an infant on a trip to Miami, after he passed it was one of the only things I had from him. As I grew up and started watching football, all my favorite players were Canes and the first college game I watched was 01 Natty, sold from day one.

As for TV find a Buffalo Wild Wings or go to Wacky Wings just outside of Etobicoke always have multiple sports games on.

Advertisement
How do Canadians become Miami fans?

Please share your stories, TIA.

First of all Leafs suck. Miami game will be on TSN.

Killa . I am a cane fan because I played football against Alonzo Highsmith when his dad was playing in the CFL with Montreal. Family moved to SFLA when career was done. Alonzo went to the U and its been 30 years of bleeding orange and green. Not many Canes up here but those that are ..diehards

My hate for FSU and anything gatror runs deep.

`We will beat Wisky

Okay, you’re family so I will not say anything bad about Canada for three days in your honor. Normally they make my top ten of things I hate, so it will be hard, but if I double my hate comments about gator I should get through it.

Reading this stuff shows me how global The U brand is. Maybe we helped bring down the USSR. I mean we where so dominant during the those years maybe it wasn’t all Ronald and Pope John Paul II after all. Any fans here from the former USSR or Eastern Block?

I married a Canadian girl and we raised three Canes fans here in SW Fl. I in turn became a Les Habitants fan.

Advertisement
I live in Sauga and yes have to stream most Miami games, grew up in Boynton moved to TO when I was 18 for the dude wondering how a Canadian becomes a Miami fan lol

Advertisement
Back