Cane DTs over the decades. Who was the greatest?

And Jimmy took a chance with Russell. He thought I’ll give this fat kid the last scholarship. That worked out pretty well. The last scholarship to the 1sr draft pick.

Advertisement
After watching many Hurricane games the question should be best Defensive Lineman since I remember many of the greats lining up on the outside and most could play end or tackle. Its nitpicking to criticize mention who played DT versus DE. With 3 downline is a player a Tackle or an end? I know JJ used the 4 -3 so the interior 2 were tackles but depending on how each was used many were interchangeable. I don't recall anyone being lined up outside of Sapp.

Russell Maryland is the only DL we ever had to win The Outland Trophy. First overall pick in NFL draft, 2 time National Champion, Pro Bowl, 3 time Super Bowl Champion, All-American, and a great leader. You best respect his name!

4 year starter stats versus 2.75 year stats. By that logic Kaaya is better than Kosar and Testaverde
4yr starter who has
4 year starter stats versus 2.75 year stats. By that logic Kaaya is better than Kosar and Testaverde
Means nothing.....Bottomline is...Morgan is the best MLBer in UM History....That's not taking anything away from Ray. But facts are facts.

Advertisement
After watching many Hurricane games the question should be best Defensive Lineman since I remember many of the greats lining up on the outside and most could play end or tackle. Its nitpicking to criticize mention who played DT versus DE. With 3 downline is a player a Tackle or an end? I know JJ used the 4 -3 so the interior 2 were tackles but depending on how each was used many were interchangeable. I don't recall anyone being lined up outside of Sapp.
Pop Tv What GIF by Schitt's Creek

1A Sapp
1B Jerome
2 Tez
3 Maryland
4 Wilfork....can't put Tez over Jerome or Sapp with only 2yrs at UM. Nobody is a bigger Jerome fan as I am...But when the guy who was Jerome's Position coach for 3 outta 4yrs tells me Sapp is the best Interior DLman in UM History, I'm rolling with that. And he only coached Sapp for one yr.
Wow really surprised you don’t have Jerome Brown as #1 flat out especially since you always said he was the epitome of swag.

Wow really surprised you don’t have Jerome Brown as #1 flat out especially since you always said he was the epitome of swag.
The epitome of swag doesn't mean he's the #1 DT Tackle in UM History....being 1B doesn't exactly mean he's not Great. I Loved Jerome, my License plate is 98 JB....If Jerome's DL Coach at UM for 3 out of 4yrs says Sapp...who am I to argue with him.

Wilfork understood his job to clog so LB’s can fill and feed.
He was never required to make a tackle just occupy 2-3 linemen YES 2-3 .
He’s the widest person I’ve ever seen and fiercest off the snap.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Dan Morgan and Brian f'ing Bozworth are arguably the best college football linebackers of all time. Dan Morgan is the best Miami LB ever.
Boz is a bit overrated, he was a fine LB, but there have been other backers that were just as good if not better. The difference between someone like Boz and Jack Ham is that Ham wasn't exciting. He was consistently excellent.

Boz is a bit overrated, he was a fine LB, but there have been other backers that were just as good if not better. The difference between someone like Boz and Jack Ham is that Ham wasn't exciting. He was consistently excellent.
My dad is old school and absolutely hated Brian Bosworth. His arrogance, attitude, flashiness, (steroid scandal) etc....I was just a little kid at the time and the Boz was larger than life. No social media back then, but he was everywhere on TV. I remember seeing him (on TV) on the sideline of the '87 Orange Bowl wearing that t-shirt. My dad couldn't contain his disdain for Bosworth's disrespect for authority (NCAA). I look back on it now and its pretty hilarious knowing what we know now about the NCAA. I also disliked Bosworth, mainly because my dad didn't like him.

This might be an unpopular opinion here, but I now believe Boz was the greatest college linebacker of all time. It's definitely arguable, but he was dominant and a wrecking crew. Going back and just watching some of his highlights, he was unreal. Yeah, Morgan was an absolute stud, but taking off my orange and green glasses, I think Boz was slightly better.

Advertisement
Love R. Lewis....but he has no business as a Top 3 Cane (in college) Morgan was a better "College" LBer....
ray came in FR year and made a huge impact, Morgan was great as well and if not for concussion issues and stayed healthy maybe he's an HOF NFL guy as well. never forget the int against FSU deep in red zone .......

My dad is old school and absolutely hated Brian Bosworth. His arrogance, attitude, flashiness, (steroid scandal) etc....I was just a little kid at the time and the Boz was larger than life. No social media back then, but he was everywhere on TV. I remember seeing him (on TV) on the sideline of the '87 Orange Bowl wearing that t-shirt. My dad couldn't contain his disdain for Bosworth's disrespect for authority (NCAA). I look back on it now and its pretty hilarious knowing what we know now about the NCAA. I also disliked Bosworth, mainly because my dad didn't like him.

This might be an unpopular opinion here, but I now believe Boz was the greatest college linebacker of all time. It's definitely arguable, but he was dominant and a wrecking crew. Going back and just watching some of his highlights, he was unreal. Yeah, Morgan was an absolute stud, but taking off my orange and green glasses, I think Boz was slightly better.
Actually, your description of Boz reminds me of the Canes in the 80s. He would have fit in perfectly in Coral Gables.
He was fun. Knew how to promote a game.

Advertisement
Sapp Destroyed that entire Nebraska backfield for 3 quarters literally all by himself. Sent Frazier to the bench for Berringer (RIP) and then Berringer there as well. If Riley, Lang and Holmes are at 100%, and Costa hits a Wide Open Chris T Jones and Jonathon Harris for easy TDs...we win going away.
is that the best DL in canes history? There are definitely 4-5 others that are in the debate as well?

Boz was similar to Percy Snow. Guys that had the entire D centered around them, to where everything got funneled. Their stats are inflated as a result. A guy like Dan Morgan or Jack Ham had to do it by having actual instincts.

I was thinking about our flimsy DT depth and my thoughts turned to this:

In order of greatness:

Jerome Brown (RIP)
Cortez Kennedy
Warren Sapp
Vince Wilfork
Gerald Willis

Did I miss anyone?

Remember how good it felt when we had a monster or two in the interior? You just felt secure.
Earl moore

Advertisement
Back