Candidate Profile

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
I'm sure it will be obvious enough to everyone who reads this, but if you were presented with this candidate profile, who would excite you? Which one would you choose if you were an A.D.?

Candidate A:

Offensive numbers:
114th in YPP (119th the year before- last place)
95th in YPP
88th in YPP
57th in YPP

Defensive numbers:
70th in YPP (117th the year before)
53rd in YPP
34th in YPP
8th in YPP

Record (conference):
4-8 (4-4)
5-7 (4-4)
9-4 (7-1)
8-4 (5-3)

Three years prior:
Three game increase
Five game increase
Eight game increase

Bowl record:
0-1

Candidate B:

Offensive numbers:
92nd in YPP (96th the year before)
62nd in YPP
105th in YPP
36th in YPP

Defensive numbers:
34th in YPP (77th the year before)
39th in YPP
9th in YPP
31st in YPP

Record (conference)
4-8 (3-5)
8-5 (4-4)
8-5 (4-4)
8-5 (4-4)

Three years prior:
6-6 (5-3)
5-6 (4-4)
3-9 (2-6)

Bowl record:
1-2

Candidate C:

Offensive numbers:
15th in YPP (36th the year before)
66th in YPP
58th in YPP
2nd in YPP

Defensive numbers:
44th in YPP (31st the year before)
37th in YPP
122nd in YPP
42nd in YPP

Record (Conference):
8-4 (5-3)
7-6 (4-4)
6-7 (4-4)
8-1 (5-0)

Bowl record:
1-1

There is a point to this, but I wanted to get some opinions from the board if any of these candidates would excite you?

Advertisement
You should add strength of schedule to each year and #of players signed to an nfl team

You should add strength of schedule to each year and #of players signed to an nfl team

What does number of players signed to an NFL team have to do with being the coach of Miami? I'm seriously asking. Is it illustrate the amount of talent they had? So, a lower number of NFL players, but a better record is better? Or, a higher number of NFL players and a mediocre record is better?

SOS is a fairly overrated metric, as peer institutions tend to have similar resources, opportunities, and recruiting base. For illustrative purposes, I will include them though:

Candidate A:
91st
110th
85th
102nd

Candidate B:
61st
46th
34th
37th

Candidate C:
70th
46th
45th
50th

And against the spread:

Candidate A:
7-5
7-4-1
8-4
7-5

Candidate B:
6-5
7-5
6-6
7-6

Candidate C:
6-6
8-5
5-8
6-3

Advertisement
Does it worry anyone else he never had a winning record in the very division he would be coaching here? Or that his predecessor has fared better than he did? Or that his overall profile is very similar to Golden's?

His time at the U was 16 seasons ago, and in a completely different conference. He did beat Florida State once in an epic comeback and Wide Right III. Otherwise his teams were crushed by Florida State (yes, we were decimated by probation).

Butch vs. Florida State: 1-4 (162-78)

Golden vs. Florida State: 0-5 (156-103)

I'm a Butch fan, but I just want to point out there's real risk with Butch, no matter how you want to spin it. There were real concerns with his gameday coaching when he was here, and while in the exact same division we are in now, he never really experienced great success. He certainly never outperformed his talent level at UNC.

I'm just hoping for some actual discussion about the candidates and what they bring, rather than some of tail chasing drivel I've seen lately (and really longer than lately).

Advertisement
Does it worry anyone else he never had a winning record in the very division he would be coaching here? Or that his predecessor has fared better than he did? Or that his overall profile is very similar to Golden's?

His time at the U was 16 seasons ago, and in a completely different conference. He did beat Florida State once in an epic comeback and Wide Right III. Otherwise his teams were crushed by Florida State (yes, we were decimated by probation).

I'm a Butch fan, but I just want to point out there's real risk with Butch, no matter how you want to spin it. There were real concerns with his gameday coaching when he was here, and while in the exact same division we are in now, he never really experienced great success. He certainly never outperformed his talent level at UNC.

I'm just hoping for some actual discussion about the candidates and what they bring, rather than some of tail chasing drivel I've seen lately (and really longer than lately).

Butch's record would be much better aginst FSU had he stayed. I'll give him Coke's wins so it's more like 3-4

Butch can not only evaluate great players but he can evaluate coach's just as good. He has a lot more experience sense he was last here also... Don't think he won't get a NC here.. That's the reason he wants back in

Anyone trying to compare Butch's first 4 years here is being ridiculous. How many other coaches have had to deal with the level of sanctions he did and had any success? Once the effects of the sanctions were falling off, Butch's team started to rise.

As far as UNC, it was a complete rebuild of a team with **** for recruiting ties compared to Miami and with no talent. We all know that we wanted to see the results of that final year he was there without the investigation. That team was about to blow up.

Advertisement

Exactly what I've been saying. I don't hate Butch and would gladly take him back if we strike out on some elite guys and a couple young killers. But you gotta realize what you're getting with him. He'll stock the cupboards, but he has proven repeatedly that he can't always win even with a large talent advantage over his opponents.

Butch can not only evaluate great players but he can evaluate coach's just as good. He has a lot more experience sense he was last here also... Don't think he won't get a NC here.. That's the reason he wants back in

How do you explain him hiring and keeping the epically horrible John Shoop for 4 years at UNC. He also kept Bill Miller here for too long.

Advertisement

How do you explain him hiring and keeping the epically horrible John Shoop for 4 years at UNC. He also kept Bill Miller here for too long.

Whoever Butch wants.....

Several of Davis' assistant coaches from his head coaching positions have gone on to be NFL and college football head coaches. Three of the coordinators from his time at the University of Miami would go on to be head coaches at either the NCAA or NFL level. Special teams coach Chuck Pagano is head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Greg Schiano would go on to become the head coach of Rutgers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Larry Coker became the head coach of the University of Miami following Davis' departure and is currently the head coach at The University of Texas at San Antonio. In addition to Pagano, Schiano, and Coker, former FIU head coach Mario Cristobal served under Davis as a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000. Another assistant coach under Davis at Miami who would go on to become a head coach is Randy Shannon. Shannon served as the linebackers coach for Davis' first three years at Miami. Current Tulane football coach Curtis Johnson also was an assistant under Davis at UM. Johnson served as the wide receivers coach from 1996 to 2005. Davis' tight ends coach at the University of Miami was Rob Chudzinski, former head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Chudzinski worked in Cleveland when Davis was the head coach there serving as tight ends coach in 2004.

While with the Cleveland Browns and the North Carolina Tar Heels, three of Davis' assistant coaches went on to serve as head coaches in some capacity. Everett Withers replaced him as the head coach at North Carolina on an interim basis. Withers is currently a head coach at James Madison University. The secondary coach in Cleveland under Davis, Todd Bowles served as the interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2011 and is now the head coach for the New York Jets.[17] Davis' special teams coach in Cleveland in 2004, Taver Johnson, served as the interim head coach of Arkansas for a brief time during the spring following Bobby Petrino's departure and currently is the cornerbacks coach. Bruce Arians served as offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns under Davis from 2001-2003. After stints as the offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts, Arians served as the interim head coach for the Colts and is now head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

Exactly what I've been saying. I don't hate Butch and would gladly take him back if we strike out on some elite guys and a couple young killers. But you gotta realize what you're getting with him. He'll stock the cupboards, but he has proven repeatedly that he can't always win even with a large talent advantage over his opponents.
No one has an answer for those questions cause they're legitimate concerns. These dudes keep whitewashing the real concerns with a Butch hire and they will be the same mouth breathers that will be asking why we are losing to teams less talented than us in year 3 of his tenure.

Whoever Butch wants.....

Several of Davis' assistant coaches from his head coaching positions have gone on to be NFL and college football head coaches. Three of the coordinators from his time at the University of Miami would go on to be head coaches at either the NCAA or NFL level. Special teams coach Chuck Pagano is head coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Greg Schiano would go on to become the head coach of Rutgers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Larry Coker became the head coach of the University of Miami following Davis' departure and is currently the head coach at The University of Texas at San Antonio. In addition to Pagano, Schiano, and Coker, former FIU head coach Mario Cristobal served under Davis as a graduate assistant from 1998 to 2000. Another assistant coach under Davis at Miami who would go on to become a head coach is Randy Shannon. Shannon served as the linebackers coach for Davis' first three years at Miami. Current Tulane football coach Curtis Johnson also was an assistant under Davis at UM. Johnson served as the wide receivers coach from 1996 to 2005. Davis' tight ends coach at the University of Miami was Rob Chudzinski, former head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Chudzinski worked in Cleveland when Davis was the head coach there serving as tight ends coach in 2004.

While with the Cleveland Browns and the North Carolina Tar Heels, three of Davis' assistant coaches went on to serve as head coaches in some capacity. Everett Withers replaced him as the head coach at North Carolina on an interim basis. Withers is currently a head coach at James Madison University. The secondary coach in Cleveland under Davis, Todd Bowles served as the interim head coach of the Miami Dolphins in 2011 and is now the head coach for the New York Jets.[17] Davis' special teams coach in Cleveland in 2004, Taver Johnson, served as the interim head coach of Arkansas for a brief time during the spring following Bobby Petrino's departure and currently is the cornerbacks coach. Bruce Arians served as offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns under Davis from 2001-2003. After stints as the offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts, Arians served as the interim head coach for the Colts and is now head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

I didn't read that filibuster, but I doubt that it answers the questions.

No one has an answer for those questions cause they're legitimate concerns. These dudes keep whitewashing the real concerns with a Butch hire and they will be the same mouth breathers that will be asking why we are losing to teams less talented than us in year 3 of his tenure.

They've dug their heels in so deeply that they won't be questioning Davis when he Davises against some inferior opponent because they've got too much invested in him. They'll just make excuses and blame it all on Folden and talk about culture and all that bullshyt.

Advertisement
Back