Candidate Profile: Charlie Strong

I stated in another thread. Think fat charlie weiss. Brady made him look great. NOW Everyone Knows he is a big fat loser. Teddy was the real deal and made Strongs career which is now being exposed.
No ******* thank you.

Advertisement
SMH....Why so much hate for this guy? Other than Butch there's no better option for Miami. This is the ACC, we're #5 out of 5 as far as power 5 conferences go and we can't even win the weak *** coastal. His last two Louisville teams would've destroyed the coastal. I'm just not understanding the hate....

It's not hate. It's objectively looking at his unmitigated failure at a P5 school over the last two seasons.

Why risk it, given the huge question marks at UT? Again, the excuses for him at UT echo the same excuses we -- myself included -- made for Golden in his first two years.

Excellent post, OP.

I don't see the point in hiring a HC away from a program that is dying to get rid of him. He's been an absolute unmitigated disaster at UT in every way possible from on the field abortions to off the field disasters to PR nightmares. He came in like the new sheriff kicking a ton of guys to the curb instead of trying to salvage them and make them buy in. Then, after kicking all those guys out, they cry about having no talent.

He publicly lynched the OC he hand-picked instead of just quietly taking playcalling duties away from him. That doesn't help chemistry on the staff at all.

He looks like a dead man at his press conferences. Has that Folden post-Ped State nut stomping look about him. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence the way he handles things publicly.

He's been a total failure at UT. I've yet to see a compelling reason why a total abject failure at UT should be expected to be a major success at UM. His main Florida connect, Hurtt, is no longer around and would never in a million years be considered as a UM employee in the future. What makes him so compelling to UM?

This.

As I said in another thread, why the **** we would we, of all schools, pull a Missouri and hire away Football Frank Haith from UT.

If Strong simply lost a few close games year that would be one thing.

However, he is got boatraced by Iowa St and the team is in total disarray.

If you think this is about race you're crazy. The guy has proven in every place that he's been in (-Texas) that he's a legit coach, I don't understand how ppl make this about race. He's a proven coach a winner, a solid talent evaluator and recruiter. He just also happens to be black.

How can you eliminate his current position from the evaluation?

Shouldn't we be basing the decision on what guys are doing today?

Entire body of work. Not one and a half years at a depleted rebuilding Texas program.

I'm not sure you really want to do that. Because out of his 6 years as HC, he's had 4 seasons with, at least 6 losses (assuming he has 1 more loss this season).

So, maybe the 2 seasons with Bridgewater are the outlier??

Advertisement
We can do better than strong and should do better than strong. I would take him as our defensive coordinator in a heart beat but in no way would I take him as Head Coach.

His resume looks too iffy for me.

Advertisement
I didn't realize he was from Arkansas. For some reason Arkansas is the mecca of football coaches.

Last edited:
So if he gets guys drafted but still loses to scrub teams, does that make him Golden like?

In Strong's last year at Louisville he lost to UCF and beat Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati by only 7 points.

What was his signature win as Louisville? You can't tell me it was Florida under Muschamp or Miami under Golden. Oh wait 2 schools coached by coaches who got fired.

2013 Louisville Cardinals Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

2012 Louisville Cardinals Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

do the 01-04 canes suck too since we fired Coker?

Advertisement
In Strong's last year at Louisville he lost to UCF and beat Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati by only 7 points.

What was his signature win as Louisville? You can't tell me it was Florida under Muschamp or Miami under Golden. Oh wait 2 schools coached by coaches who got fired.

2013 Louisville Cardinals Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

2012 Louisville Cardinals Schedule and Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

In 2009 & 2010, Butch lost to UVA (3-9), FSU (7-6), NC state (5-7), GT (6-7), & UM (7-6). Since we are diminishing close victories, in year 2+3, Butch beat a Randy-Edsall led uconn team by two points, a 4-8 Duke team by 8 points, McNesse State by 8 points, a Randy Shannon led, 7-6 Miami team by four points, and a Charle Weiss led, 7-6 notre dame team by 5 points. What was Butch's signature win at UNC? Or do we just let his results at UNC slide because of what happened fifteen years ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, I like Butch more than Strong. But you guys can't have the argument one way.

So if he gets guys drafted but still loses to scrub teams, does that make him Golden like?

How the **** is 2013 UCF a scrub team? 2013 UCF had the third pick of the draft and went 12-1. UCF beat Baylor (a program you love) by ten points. The loss at UCONN is inexcusable but the Syracuse team he lost to was 8-5 & their coach went to the NFL the next year.

Again, I prefer Butch over Strong but you guys are providing 0 context and only attacking candidates you don't like. Butch has some risk to him as well. Seriously, 2013 UCF is a scrub team now?

Advertisement
Strong is a good coach. Following Golden's tenure, our fans see any "good" coach as savior. I want more than just a good coach.
Butch might not be an elite coach to many people but he was here before, knows the ins and outs of this university, the tradition and history, the city, the high schools and the fans. All this should mean something. If not Butch, give me an elite or a promise of an elite HC. Not Strong.

Charlie String = Randy Shannon.

Strong is disorganized and a confused gameday coach. He can recruit but a chump otherwise; not sure why he's even being mentioned/considered. Oh wait, I know, it's because he's black.

I think the main reason a lot of folks thing Charlie Strong is a good fit at Miami is that when Louisville kicked our *** twice in a row, that Louisville team carried itself like a Miami team we haven't seen in a decade. Those Louisville teams had SWAG, the coach had SWAG.

Advertisement
Back