Can You Name This Hurricane Legend?

Category_5

Recruit
Without searching the internet or otherwise cheating, can you name this former UM footballer?

Freshman All-American
22 career sacks
123 tackles (67 solo)
Only 27 games played

If his name doesn’t immediately come to mind, scroll down for the answer and some additional background on one of the finest to ever don the U.

###

Figured it out? If not, here are a few more hints before I reveal his name…

5.5 sacks in first career start
4 sacks against Nebraska in 1992 Orange Bowl
1991 National Champion
2015 UM Sports Hall of Fame Inductee
Jersey #98

###

A quarter century later, Rusty Medearis doesn’t get the respect I think he deserves. His sack per game ratio is a gaudy 0.815. He notched one more career sack than the great Hurricane DT that wore #98 before him, Jerome Brown, while playing in only 27 games. A cheap shot by an Arizona guard in 1992 ultimately brought his football career to a premature end. Unwilling to exit the game he loved not on his own terms, Medearis endured “13 hours of surgery and countless hours of grueling treatment and therapy” according to his Hall of Fame bio. Risking possible amputation if his knee was reinjured, he returned to his beloved Orange Bowl one final time as player on September 3, 1994. Following the next week’s game at Arizona State, Rusty hung up his cleats for good. The chronic pain and prospect of being permanently crippled forced him to give up any remaining hope of ever playing on Sundays, which he undoubtedly would have done.

I was a senior in high school during the Hurricanes perfect ‘91 season. My family had relocated four years prior, but my allegiance to the Canes only intensified after leaving Miami. The U became a badge of honor and Rusty Medearis was my favorite Hurricane. His incredible performance against Nebraska in a national championship game will remain part of Hurricane lore forever.

Rusty Medearis played his last football game ever on September 10, 1994. Perhaps not coincidentally, during the very next game, the Washington Huskies ended Miami’s nine-year home winning streak at 58 wins. Soon Dennis Erickson would depart Carol Gables leaving in his wake multiple NCAA violations that would result in heavy sanctions and the loss of 24 scholarships. Dark times for sure, but all was not lost; Butch Davis was waiting in the wings.

Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Without searching the internet or otherwise cheating, can you name this former UM footballer?

Freshman All-American
22 career sacks
123 tackles (67 solo)
Only 27 games played

If his name doesn’t immediately come to mind, scroll down for the answer and some additional background on one of the finest to ever don the U.

###

1991 National Champion
Jersey #98

###

A quarter century later, Rusty Medearis doesn’t get the respect I think he deserves. His sack per game ratio is a gaudy 0.815. He notched one more career sack than the great Hurricane DE that wore #98 before him, Jerome Brown, while playing in only 27 games. A cheap shot by an Arizona guard in 1992 ultimately brought his football career to a premature end. Unwilling to exit the game he loved not on his own terms, Medearis endured “13 hours of surgery and countless hours of grueling treatment and therapy” according to his Hall of Fame bio. Risking possible amputation if his knee was reinjured, he returned to his beloved Orange Bowl one final time as player on September 3, 1994. Following the next week’s game at Arizona State, Rusty hung up his cleats for good. The chronic pain and prospect of being permanently crippled forced him to give up any remaining hope of ever playing on Sundays, which he undoubtedly would have done.

I was a senior in high school during the Hurricanes perfect ‘91 season. My family had relocated four years prior, but my allegiance to the Canes only intensified after leaving Miami. The U became a badge of honor and Rusty Medearis was my favorite Hurricane. His incredible performance against Nebraska in a national championship game will remain part of Hurricane lore forever.

Rusty Medearis played his last football game ever on September 10, 1994. Perhaps not coincidentally, during the very next game, the Washington Huskies ended Miami’s nine-year home winning streak at 58 wins. Soon Dennis Erickson would depart Carol Gables leaving in his wake multiple NCAA violations that would result in heavy sanctions and the loss of 24 scholarships. Dark times for sure, but all was not lost; Butch Davis was waiting in the wings.

Go Canes!
I was gonna say Carlos Huerta. Juuuuust a bit outside.

He was a beast. I remember him getting injured. Tragic career ending injury.....he had potential to be an all time great.

Advertisement
When asked who was better, Miami or Washington, a Nebraska player said, "Miami. Washington didn't have #98." THAT is how dominant he was.

Advertisement
Nice history lesson. Rusty was great and that injury was tragic. One item, I am pretty sure the late great Mr. Brown was a DT, not a DE. Maybe our greatest DT. As a matter of fact. That takes nothing away from Rusty.

Fixed. Thanks for catching my mistake.

True Cane, I absolutely loved him as a kid. Next to Tiger Clark, he is one of the main reasons I’m a Canes fan. I remember him in that fight against Colorado if I’m not mistaken. He took his helmet off, he was crazy.

Fixed. Thanks for catching my mistake.

No problem. We have so so many greats it is hard to keep tract. The Stork, to me, was the GOAT regardless of position but the thought of him at DE in today’s passing game is beyond belief. Rusty and Stubbs were fantastic but Ted would have been a certified terror today chasing down any type of QB out there with those long long arms and vise grip hands. There was simply no running away from the man.

Advertisement
Rusty was the highest effort player I can remember. He redshirted his freshman year and won the award as Scout Team player of the year.

At DE, I remember him on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the caption “all that rage.” Canes were king...and feared.

Sadly, I also remember being in the stands the night he was injured against Arizona. As I recall, it was a premeditated double team designed to seriously injure him. It worked. Sickening.

One of my all time favorite Canes.

Case in point: Top 5 Canes: DEs

Medearis doesn’t even rate an honorable mention!
When it comes to production, I put Rusty ahead of everyone on that list but Hendricks. If I had to pick two DEs, there's no way I'm putting anyone on that list ahead of Ted and Rusty. Especially in the modern game. Quick, fast, smart, always in position to make a play. True game changers.

Advertisement
By the way, the only reason Stubbs owns the sack record is because they didn't keep stats for sacks when Ted played. His coach said Ted had over 100 sacks in his 3 years, and I don't doubt it. Had Ted played today when ESPN was around, he'd have won the Heisman.

The Great Rusty Medearis! Name that definitely doesn’t get mentioned enough around here when discussing former Canes greats....He is easily my pick for best college DE I’ve seen in a Hurricanes uniform....relentless motor!

Freshman All-American
22 career sacks
123 tackles (67 solo)
Only 27 games played

###

1991 National Champion
Jersey #98

###

A quarter century later, Rusty Medearis doesn’t get the respect I think he deserves. His sack per game ratio is a gaudy 0.815. He notched one more career sack than the great Hurricane DT that wore #98 before him, Jerome Brown, while playing in only 27 games. A cheap shot by an Arizona guard in 1992 ultimately brought his football career to a premature end. Unwilling to exit the game he loved not on his own terms, Medearis endured “13 hours of surgery and countless hours of grueling treatment and therapy” according to his Hall of Fame bio. Risking possible amputation if his knee was reinjured, he returned to his beloved Orange Bowl one final time as player on September 3, 1994. Following the next week’s game at Arizona State, Rusty hung up his cleats for good. The chronic pain and prospect of being permanently crippled forced him to give up any remaining hope of ever playing on Sundays, which he undoubtedly would have done.

Go Canes!
The three Cane coaches prior to Botch, snelly, Johnson, and Erickson all won nc. Botch was first Canes coach since 1983 not to win a ship. Botch lied about staying and abandoned the team and fans. Let him embarrass himself at fiu.

I remember Rusty getting the rare "sixth year" of eligibility after getting a medical redshirt. It's a shame injuries cut short his career. **** of a player.

Advertisement
Back