Can we talk about Patke?

CaneSwag1995

Senior
Okay, so I’d like to have a productive discussion about how he’s doing

Do you all think he’s a major part of the problem? Or is he one of the brighter spots on staff?

Personally, I think he takes a lot of flack on the board because he’s a green coach who appears to be in the same mold as Banda — a yes man for Diaz.

But to be honest, I think he’s done a solid job.

First off, outside of Baxa, our special teams have performed above average this year. I don’t fault Patke for Baxa’s issues because they’re more mental than anything else.

So where do I see improvement? Well, for starters, kick/punt return has been way better. JT4’s return against VA Tech was evidence of this. You could tell how well our return team was coached because of how they blocked — getting in the way of defenders but keeping their hands up to avoid blocks in the back. I was impressed by their discipline, to say the least.

Also, our coverage teams have done way better this year. Not a lot of busts or long returns have been yielded. While not perfect, it’s night/day compared to last year.

Finally, our OLB may be the best performing unit on defense right now. Romeo is a beast and Frierson looks to be developing.

I’m not saying Patke is a God coach, but I think he’s far cry away from what’s really plaguing this team. I think Baker, Banda, and Stroud have been disasters.

I know some of you may think I’m an idiot, but this is my honest opinion. Reply with your thoughts.

CaneSwag1995

Senior
Also, correct me if I’m wrong, @dsddcane, but didn’t you say he’s one of the brighter coaches on staff? And that he knows his shyt?

BS85

Recruit
Okay, so I’d like to have a productive discussion about how he’s doing

Do you all think he’s a major part of the problem? Or is he one of the brighter spots on staff?

Personally, I think he takes a lot of flack on the board because he’s a green coach who appears to be in the same mold as Banda — a yes man for Diaz.

But to be honest, I think he’s done a solid job.

First off, outside of Baxa, our special teams have performed above average this year. I don’t fault Patke for Baxa’s issues because they’re more mental than anything else.

So where do I see improvement? Well, for starters, kick/punt return has been way better. JT4’s return against VA Tech was evidence of this. You could tell how well our return team was coached because of how they blocked — getting in the way of defenders but keeping their hands up to avoid blocks in the back. I was impressed by their discipline, to say the least.

Also, our coverage teams have done way better this year. Not a lot of busts or long returns have been yielded. While not perfect, it’s night/day compared to last year.

Finally, our OLB may be the best performing unit on defense right now. Romeo is a beast and Frierson looks to be developing.

I’m not saying Patke is a God coach, but I think he’s far cry away from what’s really plaguing this team. I think Baker, Banda, and Stroud have been disasters.

I know some of you may think I’m an idiot, but this is my honest opinion. Reply with your thoughts.
Sup Jonathan