Can We Stop with the "It's OK, 201[] is Loaded..."?

mapcane

Sophomore
That is easily the dumbest and most annoying defense mechanism on the board for when we fail on a huge target, and rarely is actually accurately used. Bottom line is, every year you want to get the best possible players, especially at need positions, regardless of what is coming down the pipe in terms of local recruits. We missed on Collins, but it's cool because Sony and Cook are amazing; but then in discussions about missing on those, it's ok because Yearby is better and in 2015 we're getting Joe Schmoe. Same old tired ****.

The principal reason why we as Canes fans should have some hope that we can return to the top is not our facilities, resources, on-campus stadium, or booster network; rather, it's the local pipeline. But if we're not tapping that pipeline to maximum degree, then we're doomed to hoping for ACC division titles and middling records for the rest of time. If we don't land the Sony Michels and the Ermon Lanes, we're never going to be elite again. That is a fact. And yes, those players are not make or break, in and of themselves, but the point is that building a program requires acquiring a stable of talented players, not just a few elite players scattered about the roster, a Duke Johnson here or there. The term "can't miss" is stupid, because you can miss anyone and survive, but at the same time, the more we miss kids like that, the less likely it is that we'll be great again.

So yea, we should be dejected if both Sony and Cook go elsewhere because those are to 5-star RBs in our backyard, we're thin at that spot, and Yearby, though highly talented, appears to be a niche-type back (not a full-time, 20 carry a game back). And that's one example. What's going on at DT is downright absurd and inexplicable (unless it's the scheme that scares off kids, which is then explicable).

I love Al Golden. I think he's a god-send for the program. But he's got to win 10 games this year and secure the best recruits in SoFla. If not this year, then there is reason to believe it will never happen for him.

Advertisement
i agree with this however, when people were saying it's okay 2014 is loaded at RB when we missed on collins, it was true, Cook, Sony, Yearby etc. but i do agree it is used far too often.

78.gif

But that's the whole point. If we land Collins, then we don't need to sweat Cook going to UF or Michel going to UGA as much.

i agree with this however, when people were saying it's okay 2014 is loaded at RB when we missed on collins, it was true, Cook, Sony, Yearby etc. but i do agree it is used far too often.

Advertisement
i agree somewhat. we needed collins. i don't care who is here for 2014 or 15. but, i disagree about yearby. unless i'm mistaken, he's the workhorse in that backfield. you can miss one year, if you have enough talent at that position, but, you can't 2-3 years like at dt. you can miss a year at qb. when you are as thin as we are at rb, you can't really miss right now. no reason we can't get 1-2 rbs every year.

So we should all freak out when a kid picks elsewhere right?

Flood the board with sky is falling threads and whatnot.

Got it.

But.....2014 and 2015 are loaded. Much more so than 2013 was.

So, basically, we should we stop calling things as they are.

Got it.

Advertisement
You can ask Larry Bluestein or any local recruiting analyst in Florida Jon bastian etc, 2014 is the best collection of talent in South Florida since possibly 2008. You can just look at the overall rankings at rb you got 3 legit top 10 backs in the country in yearby, Michel, Cook @ OL you have even more big time prospects in KC, Darling @WR it could be the best class to come out of the tri county area ever in one season in Lane, Brady, Ishmael, Rudolph, McKenzie, Holmes, Jo Jo, than on defense you have Moten, Clark, Quincy Wilson, Lammons oh and Chad Thomas, Michael Smith the 2014 class blows away last years class just look at the prospect rankings from last season.

Last edited:
Excuses or not, 2014 IS loaded relative to 2013. That's just reality. I agree about the excuses, but there is a difference between explanation and excuse.

No one is saying that. What I'm talking about are threads regarding the very recruits we alluded to last year when we passed on WRs or RBs. Now people are saying Michel and Cook can go elsewhere, because xyz. And we'll same the same about Lane if he goes to Bama, like we did with Thomas.

But.....2014 and 2015 are loaded. Much more so than 2013 was.

So, basically, we should we stop calling things as they are.

Got it.

I don't think I'd say that about Lane. I'm sure there are some great recievers next year but Lane is one of the better ones I've seen in a while.

I'm still not going to freak out if he goes to Bama. What good is that going to do? You have to move on and people saying "we're loaded next year..." is how some people go about that.

If we get Yearby and not Michel or Cook, that sucks a little to see the other two go but most schools would be ecstatic. Not to mention we would probably go out and find another top kid like we did with Gus Edwards and Corn Elder. And there is Scarlett and that other kid, I forget his name right now, next year.

Advertisement
The point isn´t that 2014 is better than 2013. The point, to me, is that the staff can´t get a free pass for missing on important local recruits just because there are better/equal ones the next time round.

A bird in hand....

Advertisement
I understand Maps concern but honestly, that line was used by the Coker Crew as a crutch for poor recruiting. I'm not worried about this current staff

I hate when people say this. In 2011 everyone said how loaded 2012 was in comparison and then the same for 2013. Now 2014 and 2015 too? You're saying south florida has more talent EVERY year? Gets on my nerves too.

This is definitely the best year for talent in south Florida in a LONG time.

Advertisement
Back