Can TNM...

I love how theres a narrartive that our oline isnt talented. Donaldson top 100, Scaife top 150, Reed top 250, Gaynor experienced solid player. Make it work Butch Barry.
And depth.

Advertisement
It's year 1, even Richt went 9-4 in his first year.

It's completely unfair to set the bar so high for a first time HC in his very first season. I'm not saying that going 7-6 would be acceptable because it would be a huge disappointment, but to say he has to go 11-1 is fckin crazy.

My expectations are 10-2 at best, 9-3 the standard & 8-4 a let down but understandable start with something to build on. The key will be to win the Coastal & win whatever bowl game we get, which would add one more W to the win total for the season & give us some momentum.

If we go 10-2 regular season, we obviously win the Coastal & will get a good bowl game to possibly finish with 11 wins which would be an amazing 1st season for Diaz. Same for a 9-3 regular season with a coastal title plus a Bowl game to put us at possibly going 10-3 on the season. Even if we went 8-4 on the season it would be a disappointment but with a bowl win not enough to go Defcon 1.

This team won 10 games in 2017 then followed that up & completely sh*t the bed & went 7-6, with basically the exact same team & even better Defense, the difference between the 2 teams was OC & QB play severely declined. This year we upgraded the OC/QB coach & upgraded the QB position. The OL still needs work & lacks depth but the improvement on overall offense will lead to better outcomes in games where the Defense is stout & forcing turnovers.

People need to be patient & give Manny time to build, I know Canes fans hate hearing that & we always want results right away, but be realistic, how many P5 coaches you see going 11-1(12-1) in year 1 of their tenures?

We can definitely start off 2-0, not worried about UNC one bit, the FLA game will be our toughest & would be huge for us to win, not even so much for this season but mainly for recruiting in the 21 class. The games we have to really come out to play our best for will be @ FSU & @ Pitt back to back, plus the LVille game @ home will be sneaky if we think they'll be the same team they were last year, which I can promise you they won't.

Richt was replacing a corpse! 9-4 and a bowl win was great. Different scenario. Anything under 10 wins expect a let down in recruiting

I want to start beating the brakes off of some of these crappy teams on the schedule. No more losing to basketball schools either. Beat them by 20+

Advertisement
Well who has depth then? Theres other Acc teams that would die for our oline. They’d die just to have one of those 3 guys I mentioned. Make it work that’s why they get paid the big bucks.
@kryptonite mentioned execution having been an issue. I'm adding depth as a concern. We're not exactly stacked on the O line.

In any case, we'll know in 95 days if its still a concern.

@kryptonite mentioned execution having been an issue. I'm adding depth as a concern. We're not exactly stacked on the O line.

In any case, we'll know in 95 days if its still a concern.
Truth, depth is a concern at several position.

My hope is that with proper coaching and a good scheme, the athletes won't be quite so important. Obviously you always want to have top talent everywhere, but I hope it turns out that with a coaching upgrade we can become an average offense.

And I think we all understand what this team can be with an average offense.

Advertisement
As long as we don't lose the games we should win and have some good breaks where we are underdogs, I expect enough wins to get a January Bowl game.

We have serious athletes now on Offense. I think there are some NFL teams that would like a roster with physically more mature versions of two tight ends like Brevin & Will Mallory. We have studs at RB in Cam & Lingard (who will show out if he stays healthy). At WR, we have Jeff Thomas who should play at the next level and KJ (who seems very dependable) as well as some very talented younger WRs.

Our D will be stout and the DL could be absolutely ferocious if guys at the DT position continue to step up. It looks to me like that is happening. Our LBs are upperclassmen now, have tremendous cohesion and playing experience.

The keys are:

1) Choosing a QB who can simply distribute the ball to our talented skill position players
2) The OL really coming together & showing leadership. If they can run block more effectively (we have to be able to get 2-3 yards when we need it) and they are at least above average in pass pro, the offense should absolutely light it up. Enos knows what he is doing and we have a lot of talented guys on offense now. If #1 & #2 happen, the offense would be an absolute nightmare for DCs to scheme for. For example, bracket JT and you potentially leave Brevin and/or Will (or a talented WR) in a great spot to make a play. Cam = stud. Lingard = elite (healthy & at his best). This offense should be a real challenge to defend.
3) Dramatically improved special teams play (especially punting). We have to win the battle for field position. Critically important. We need to get back to being dynamic on kick returns and absolutely suffocating on kick coverage. This has to be made a priority and the players need to play special teams with an attitude (like it is a major priority for the program).

I think 10 wins is a realistic expectation. Eleven wins (or more) is a very good season. Nine wins = acceptable. Eight or less is disappointing. We will have a very stout D. We have significant talent on O. Let's simply get our athletes the ball in space (efficiently) and let them do their thing. I'm confident Enos will get it done and we'll have a very good season. Our QBs, OL & DTs need to come together & demonstrate real leadership and we will be very good.

It's year 1, even Richt went 9-4 in his first year.

It's completely unfair to set the bar so high for a first time HC in his very first season. I'm not saying that going 7-6 would be acceptable because it would be a huge disappointment, but to say he has to go 11-1 is fckin crazy.

My expectations are 10-2 at best, 9-3 the standard & 8-4 a let down but understandable start with something to build on. The key will be to win the Coastal & win whatever bowl game we get, which would add one more W to the win total for the season & give us some momentum.

If we go 10-2 regular season, we obviously win the Coastal & will get a good bowl game to possibly finish with 11 wins which would be an amazing 1st season for Diaz. Same for a 9-3 regular season with a coastal title plus a Bowl game to put us at possibly going 10-3 on the season. Even if we went 8-4 on the season it would be a disappointment but with a bowl win not enough to go Defcon 1.

This team won 10 games in 2017 then followed that up & completely sh*t the bed & went 7-6, with basically the exact same team & even better Defense, the difference between the 2 teams was OC & QB play severely declined. This year we upgraded the OC/QB coach & upgraded the QB position. The OL still needs work & lacks depth but the improvement on overall offense will lead to better outcomes in games where the Defense is stout & forcing turnovers.

People need to be patient & give Manny time to build, I know Canes fans hate hearing that & we always want results right away, but be realistic, how many P5 coaches you see going 11-1(12-1) in year 1 of their tenures?

We can definitely start off 2-0, not worried about UNC one bit, the FLA game will be our toughest & would be huge for us to win, not even so much for this season but mainly for recruiting in the 21 class. The games we have to really come out to play our best for will be @ FSU & @ Pitt back to back, plus the LVille game @ home will be sneaky if we think they'll be the same team they were last year, which I can promise you they won't.

How many 1st year coaches start with the most talented roster in their division. #1 defense in their Division and one of the weakest schedules in the power 5.. This isn't a complete rebuild that you're making it seem.. this is more of a plug-in of cosches anything more than 2 Ls in the regular season barring a rash of injuries does not meet expectations this year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back