Can TNM...

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
Recreate 2017 buzz and not look back, that’s the real question. I hear most of you when you say o-line and qb means maybe 9-3, 8-4. Newsflash: Diaz nor the program can afford that. Not when you have a first year head coach on a previous staff that he was a part of that went 7-6 where players showed disinterest. Additionally media and recruits need to believe. Yes, I know he got rid of the bad apples. Let me ask you this, those of you that say 9-3 8-4 who can we really lose to that recruits would give us the benefit of the doubt and come here over Clemson bama Georgia and to a lesser extent, the Gators?

He can’t have many missteps with this schedule. **** I’ll say it, he starts 2-0 that means he beat a hated rival and won a coastal road game, I’d expect no less than 11-1 at that point provided that the offense averaged more than say 24 ppg.

The one thing that he has to separate from 2017 if he starts say 4-0 is rescuing games like cuse gt uva. That would signal some trouble.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Recreate 2017 buzz and not look back, that’s the real question. I hear most of you when you say o-line and qb means maybe 9-3, 8-4. Newsflash: Diaz nor the program can afford that. Not when you have a first year head coach on a previous staff that he was a part of that went 7-6 where players showed disinterest. Additionally media and recruits need to believe. Yes, I know he got rid of the bad apples. Let me ask you this, those of you that say 9-3 8-4 who can we really lose to that recruits would give us the benefit of the doubt and come here over Clemson bama Georgia and to a lesser extent, the Gators?

He can’t have many missteps with this schedule. **** I’ll say it, he starts 2-0 that means he beat a hated rival and won a coastal road game, I’d expect no less than 11-1 at that point provided that the offense averaged more than say 24 ppg.

The one thing that he has to separate from 2017 if he starts say 4-0 is rescuing games like cuse gt uva. That would signal some trouble,
While I know we won't lose 3 or 4, I wouldn't be too upset if we did as long as we looked like a Miami team.

As far as the recruiting though this will be Manny's honeymoon class. Usually a coaches first full recruiting class is always good. He's going to be selling hope and a vision to these recruits.

Hes taking a player that is a dawg but may still be raw over a player that is polished but don't have that fight in him. U get a team full of dawgs and games against teams like Pitt and Duke are won before the first snap bc the the other team is intimidated, already beat mentally.

It's not like Manny is walking into a Coker situation where the team is absolutely loaded with talent. So a few losses have to be expected. Teams drop games they shouldn't all the time. **** we've made a habit of that the last 15 years.

At this point there's too many question marks on the team to say going **** near undefeated is likely. The O line has to be consistent in giving the qb time to throw and opening running lanes. The qb has to make smart decisions and precise throws and be overall much better than we've seen in the past few years. Until it's proven differently wide receiver is still inconsistent outside of a couple of guys. The defensive back field has to replace a ton of experience. Special teams has to improve by leaps and bounds.

All the question marks may go away as the year goes on but until proven otherwise I'm keeping my expectations around 9 wins. Which I do think would be viewed as a success for Manny year one.

Just because we can't afford it doesn't mean it won't happen. Our OL is woefully inexperienced and depth is non existent. If a couple of starters go down we could easily lose 2-4 games. You can look at FSU for a most recent example. Were they a mediocre team last year? Yes. Should they have won more than 5 games ? Yes. There are several reasons why they sucked last year but it was glaringly clear the OL made it impossible for them do anything effective and it permeated every facet of the team.

I'm confident Enos and Barry can get the most of them and scheme away some deficiencies but again injuries are the major concern. Hopefeully we can stay healthy for the season and bring some of the 2nd string up to the challenge.

While I know we won't lose 3 or 4, I wouldn't be too upset if we did as long as we looked like a Miami team.

As far as the recruiting though this will be Manny's honeymoon class. Usually a coaches first full recruiting class is always good. He's going to be selling hope and a vision to these recruits.

Hes taking a player that is a dawg but may still be raw over a player that is polished but don't have that fight in him. U get a team full of dawgs and games against teams like Pitt and Duke are won before the first snap bc the the other team is intimidated, already beat mentally.

Losing 3-4 games and looking like a "Miami team" are two completely contradictory statements when it comes to this roster and this schedule.

Advertisement
It's not like Manny is walking into a Coker situation where the team is absolutely loaded with talent. So a few losses have to be expected. Teams drop games they shouldn't all the time. **** we've made a habit of that the last 15 years.

At this point there's too many question marks on the team to say going **** near undefeated is likely. The O line has to be consistent in giving the qb time to throw and opening running lanes. The qb has to make smart decisions and precise throws and be overall much better than we've seen in the past few years. Until it's proven differently wide receiver is still inconsistent outside of a couple of guys. The defensive back field has to replace a ton of experience. Special teams has to improve by leaps and bounds.

All the question marks may go away as the year goes on but until proven otherwise I'm keeping my expectations around 9 wins. Which I do think would be viewed as a success for Manny year one.
He is not in a Coker situation, but on paper this is the highest blue chip ratio team we have had in a long time.

Losing 3-4 games and looking like a "Miami team" are two completely contradictory statements when it comes to this roster and this schedule.
Not really considering we have a first time HC, new OC, a suspect oline, a QB with little to no experience, a leading WR that doesn't even have 1,000 yds in his career and young DBs. Mistakes WILL happen.

We can look like a Miami team and still lose some games.

The one thing that he has to separate from 2017 if he starts say 4-0 is rescuing games like cuse gt uva. That would signal some trouble.

This frantic mindset is one fans perpetuate. It's not rooted in reality or logic.

2017 was an anomaly and in the end proved to be smoke and mirrors. Not as fraudulent as Al Golden's 2013 squad that might've been the biggest on-paper #7 team in the country, seven games into that season—but similar in the sense it needed some comebacks again good-not-great teams to stay undefeated.

In the end, hype gets exposed for substance—and by late 2017, Rosier's miracle comebacks were no more, nor did the confines of a home bowl game have the same magic it had for undefeated primetime showdown against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.

Look at how 2017 started; Bethune-Cookman, Toledo, at Duke and at Florida State—super-slow starts against the Rockets, Blue Devils and Seminoles that would've been disastrous if facing better competition. Against Georgia Tech, a miracle 4th-and-10 needed to stay alive. Again Syracuse, a late score to pull away from a one-point lead with a few minutes remaining. At North Carolina, a forced turnover after coughing the ball up and giving the one-win Tar Heels chance at an upset.

Expecting Miami to go to Orlando to beat a Top 10 Florida team in Diaz's first game—and implying that a loss or slow start is needed for "media and recruits to believe"—that's a unfair ask based on a 7-6 season, coaching turnover and a new guy's first game. Beating Florida can't be expected. It will be a bonus should it happen—the same way everyone thought LSU was average last year, but beating UM springboarded their season.

You're really worrying about somehow starting 4-0 and then needing comebacks against ACC opponents en route to 6-0? That's way too micro a look when people need to look at the season from a macro level.

Manny Diaz is working to turn Miami into a competitor and then a champion. This isn't going to happen year one. It takes years for programs to run at the level. Dabo didn't build Clemson overnight—and he had a lot of setbacks along the way; years the Tigers looked all-world, only to get smoked by Florida State at home when #3 and the Noles were #5 (51-14 in 2013). Losing a national title game two years later, before finally winning won—and then getting run out of the Playoffs the next season. Took Swinney almost a decade to build this reloading machine he has now.

Stop focusing so intently on 2019 and trying to mirror some magical 2017. Time will tell if Diaz is the guy for Miami; not how a few games play out the first two months of the season.

I'd have loved to see how social media treated Jimmy Johnson in 1984. The man proved to be all-world decades later, but year one after taking over for the defending national champs, eked out a 20-18 win over No. 1 Auburn (at Giants Stadium), lost two weeks later at at #14 Michigan (after taking over the #1 ranking), got waxed at home by #15 Florida State (38-3) and after winning the next five (including whipping #16 Notre Dame in South Bend, 31-13) experiences a trifecta of next-level misery—blowing a 31-0 home halftime lead to Maryland, falling 42-40 .... followed by Hail Flutie the next time Miami took the field ... and then lost a shootout against UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl, 39-37—going 8-5 year one.

Johnson had a crack at a title as a one-loss squad in 1985, having beaten eventual national champion Oklahoma earlier in the year—but got smoked 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl by #8 Tennessee, as the #2 team in the nation. The following year, he ****ed away a sure-fire national title with arguably Miami's second-best team ever—falling to a slow, pasty Penn State squad 14-10, when Heisman Vinny coughed up five interceptions.

Finally got his one and only title in 1987—going undefeated against a murder's row type schedule (#20 Florida, #10 Arkansas, #4 Florida State, #10 Notre Dame, #8 South Carolina and #1 Oklahoma).

People wanted to run JJ out of town from the get-go, many feeling Tom Olivadotti should've gotten the job. To go 8-5 year one in that fashion with a defending national champ—it only made matters much worse going into year two. History won out, though—JJ revered as UM's best coach in history, while winning two Super Bowls, as well.

No head coach should be defined by his first year, or even second. Whatever Diaz does, the clock doesn't really start rolling until year three. Start thinking macro for this program, not micro.

Advertisement
Start thinking macro for this program, not micro.

tenor.gif

This frantic mindset is one fans perpetuate. It's not rooted in reality or logic.

2017 was an anomaly and in the end proved to be smoke and mirrors. Not as fraudulent as Al Golden's 2013 squad that might've been the biggest on-paper #7 team in the country, seven games into that season—but similar in the sense it needed some comebacks again good-not-great teams to stay undefeated.

In the end, hype gets exposed for substance—and by late 2017, Rosier's miracle comebacks were no more, nor did the confines of a home bowl game have the same magic it had for undefeated primetime showdown against Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.

Look at how 2017 started; Bethune-Cookman, Toledo, at Duke and at Florida State—super-slow starts against the Rockets, Blue Devils and Seminoles that would've been disastrous if facing better competition. Against Georgia Tech, a miracle 4th-and-10 needed to stay alive. Again Syracuse, a late score to pull away from a one-point lead with a few minutes remaining. At North Carolina, a forced turnover after coughing the ball up and giving the one-win Tar Heels chance at an upset.

Expecting Miami to go to Orlando to beat a Top 10 Florida team in Diaz's first game—and implying that a loss or slow start is needed for "media and recruits to believe"—that's a unfair ask based on a 7-6 season, coaching turnover and a new guy's first game. Beating Florida can't be expected. It will be a bonus should it happen—the same way everyone thought LSU was average last year, but beating UM springboarded their season.

You're really worrying about somehow starting 4-0 and then needing comebacks against ACC opponents en route to 6-0? That's way too micro a look when people need to look at the season from a macro level.

Manny Diaz is working to turn Miami into a competitor and then a champion. This isn't going to happen year one. It takes years for programs to run at the level. Dabo didn't build Clemson overnight—and he had a lot of setbacks along the way; years the Tigers looked all-world, only to get smoked by Florida State at home when #3 and the Noles were #5 (51-14 in 2013). Losing a national title game two years later, before finally winning won—and then getting run out of the Playoffs the next season. Took Swinney almost a decade to build this reloading machine he has now.

Stop focusing so intently on 2019 and trying to mirror some magical 2017. Time will tell if Diaz is the guy for Miami; not how a few games play out the first two months of the season.

I'd have loved to see how social media treated Jimmy Johnson in 1984. The man proved to be all-world decades later, but year one after taking over for the defending national champs, eked out a 20-18 win over No. 1 Auburn (at Giants Stadium), lost two weeks later at at #14 Michigan (after taking over the #1 ranking), got waxed at home by #15 Florida State (38-3) and after winning the next five (including whipping #16 Notre Dame in South Bend, 31-13) experiences a trifecta of next-level misery—blowing a 31-0 home halftime lead to Maryland, falling 42-40 .... followed by Hail Flutie the next time Miami took the field ... and then lost a shootout against UCLA in the Fiesta Bowl, 39-37—going 8-5 year one.

Johnson had a crack at a title as a one-loss squad in 1985, having beaten eventual national champion Oklahoma earlier in the year—but got smoked 35-7 in the Sugar Bowl by #8 Tennessee, as the #2 team in the nation. The following year, he ****ed away a sure-fire national title with arguably Miami's second-best team ever—falling to a slow, pasty Penn State squad 14-10, when Heisman Vinny coughed up five interceptions.

Finally got his one and only title in 1987—going undefeated against a murder's row type schedule (#20 Florida, #10 Arkansas, #4 Florida State, #10 Notre Dame, #8 South Carolina and #1 Oklahoma).

People wanted to run JJ out of town from the get-go, many feeling Tom Olivadotti should've gotten the job. To go 8-5 year one in that fashion with a defending national champ—it only made matters much worse going into year two. History won out, though—JJ revered as UM's best coach in history, while winning two Super Bowls, as well.

No head coach should be defined by his first year, or even second. Whatever Diaz does, the clock doesn't really start rolling until year three. Start thinking macro for this program, not micro.

You are correct with almost all these points but comparing the two isn’t realistic. We don’t play that type of schedule anymore. Expecting Miami to win the coastal with more talent than everybody shouldn’t be frowned upon. How long do we have to temper our expectations while playing inferior opponents every week? It doesn’t take a Nick Saban on the sidelines to go 10-2 in the ACC coastal

You are correct with almost all these points but comparing the two isn’t realistic. We don’t play that type of schedule anymore. Expecting Miami to win the coastal with more talent than everybody shouldn’t be frowned upon. How long do we have to temper our expectations while playing inferior opponents every week? It doesn’t take a Nick Saban on the sidelines to go 10-2 in the ACC coastal
Bingo. Outside of the turds, we literally play all garbage ACC teams and the likes of Central Michigan, Bethune and FIU. 0.0 excuses to not win 10 regular season games with that schedule, not including a bowl game. Even at 10 wins that would include 2 losses, which would even allow a slip up against the only other team that can come close to our talent in FSU. Anything more is an absolute failure.

Advertisement
Bingo. Outside of the turds, we literally play all garbage ACC teams and the likes of Central Michigan, Bethune and FIU. 0.0 excuses to not win 10 regular season games with that schedule, not including a bowl game. Even at 10 wins that would include 2 losses, which would even allow a slip up against the only other team that can come close to our talent in FSU. Anything more is an absolute failure.

I honestly don’t get it. You can say whatever you want about guys being busts here and all that, but it’s never been about talent. We’ve been a good coach away from being the perennial champs of the coastal for a decade. We tied for for 1st with a 7-6 record for f***** sake. Its time to stop making excuses and time to expect a division championship every year

Your post makes sense. JJ would’ve been run out of town before he even had a chance to win an NC in today’s environment.

It’s all about the millennial mentality of I want what I want when I want it, and I want it now.

Advertisement
I love how theres a narrartive that our oline isnt talented. Donaldson top 100, Scaife top 150, Reed top 250, Gaynor experienced solid player. Make it work Butch Barry.

I don't think people question the talent to much as the execution thus far.

College football is unpredictable coming into a new season. Every team has to realign their roster as kids play only 3 or 4 years and have to be replaced. This year for us it is CB's, next year will be LB's, but Florida and the rest of our opponents are facing the same. I like our changes, I like our chances but understand not to be disappointed with any struggles or simply bad luck. One thing I do think Richt helped with was it did not seem the ACC officials were out to get us all the time, sure their were some bad calls (targeting esp.)but we also got some favorable calls. I think our biggest concern should be will our special teams be special, we are assuming Henley is an answer to our horrible punting but reliable tackling was an issue on ST's too. Not much has been said nor did the scrimmages indicate if the staff is working on making them special. Our return team should be special, coverage and punting hopefully improves.

How is it a millennial mentality? If the offense was top 50 we win 10 games! So how do you expect people to believe in manny if we open up 8-4 9-3? That’s not moving the needle for anyone. We shouldn’t lose 4 games to anyone with a new hungry staff!

Advertisement
Back