Can Tate play right away?

JoshJetson

Recruit
Is he eligible to play right away?
Excited to have him.
And also shoutout to Manny, he’s killing it right now!!
Let’s Go Canes.

Advertisement
No. Miami is trying to get a wavier but it's highly unlikely. He doesn't really qualify for hardship and nothing else is close to his situation like needs to be home for aling family. Home for him is Vegas. Not gonna work.

Likely 2020.

As of now, no. I've heard he's planning to graduate in May. Which would mean he'd need to stay in Columbus until May. No way on earth Miami takes all of his credits from OSU short of his last semester and gives him a degree. If he transfers now, there's no way he graduates in May (and probably not by August), therefore meaning he's not a grad transfer and therefore would not have immediate eligibility.

He absolutely can apply for a waiver but I don't know on what grounds. Apparently the NCAA is sympathetic to people who had their redshirts mismanaged (hence why Martin is apparently likely to get a waiver), but that doesn't seem to be the case with Martell.

My guess is he does not play in 2019.

Advertisement
According to Brevin Jordan and some others he is set to graduate at the end of this semester. I personally have no idea how that is possible with just 2 1/2 years and 2 summers, but that is the word

Is he eligible to play right away?
Excited to have him.
And also shoutout to Manny, he’s killing it right now!!
Let’s Go Canes.
He is trying to get a waiver. So he can finish up his education here. It is also being said that he will graduate in May.

If Hurts comes here. Then that will be an early sign that Martell has to sit out a year.

He is trying to get a waiver. So he can finish up his education here. It is also being said that he will graduate in May.

If Hurts comes here. Then that will be an early sign that Martell has to sit out a year.
Ideally, why not have Martell and Hurts. Martell as the backup and Hurts as the starter. If he can get a wavier which is highly unlikely, it would help our depth, not harm it.

Advertisement
Ideally, why not have Martell and Hurts. Martell as the backup and Hurts as the starter. If he can get a wavier which is highly unlikely, it would help our depth, not harm it.
The problem is. Us on the outside don't really know the whole Martell deal.

If he does in fact graduate in May. He didn't leave OSU to sit behind Hurts.

If that May thing isn't real and we're relying on a waiver. Then yes. If Hurts wants to come take him.

As of now, no. I've heard he's planning to graduate in May. Which would mean he'd need to stay in Columbus until May. No way on earth Miami takes all of his credits from OSU short of his last semester and gives him a degree. If he transfers now, there's no way he graduates in May (and probably not by August), therefore meaning he's not a grad transfer and therefore would not have immediate eligibility.

He absolutely can apply for a waiver but I don't know on what grounds. Apparently the NCAA is sympathetic to people who had their redshirts mismanaged (hence why Martin is apparently likely to get a waiver), but that doesn't seem to be the case with Martell.

My guess is he does not play in 2019.

Assuming he does not get the waiver and graduates from OSU in May, he would be here in time for summer and fall ball. Not ideal but certainly enough time to compete for and likely win the starting job.

According to Brevin Jordan and some others he is set to graduate at the end of this semester. I personally have no idea how that is possible with just 2 1/2 years and 2 summers, but that is the word

He could have also taken some classes in high school that qualifies as college credits. I took a few which ended up being six credits, but could have taken more.

Advertisement
Assuming he does not get the waiver and graduates from OSU in May, he would be here in time for summer and fall ball. Not ideal but certainly enough time to compete for and likely win the starting job.

This is correct.

Do you think the staff was just like... "yeah just swing by for fall practice and you'll have a great shot to start for the ONE year you're eligible?"

Just doesn't make sense.

Advertisement
He could have also taken some classes in high school that qualifies as college credits. I took a few which ended up being six credits, but could have taken more.

Totally with you on this. I brought over some college credits, took two summers, and still was only in a position to graduate a semester early. Bu ***'s possible, especially if you enroll with lots of credits from high school. I read somewhere he spent a semester at some college before enrolling at OSU.

The problem is. Us on the outside don't really know the whole Martell deal.

If he does in fact graduate in May. He didn't leave OSU to sit behind Hurts.

If that May thing isn't real and we're relying on a waiver. Then yes. If Hurts wants to come take him.

This, to me, is the ideal scenario for us. If Martell wants to start in 2019 we need him on campus NOW. Which means he doesn't graduate in May, which means he's not a grad transfer and likely not eligible (I have no idea why people think he'll get a waiver).

Get Hurts for 2019 and a Martell who knows the offense for 2020-'21 getting himself a proper Master's degree.

The abundant pre-college high school credits HE DOES HAVE and his pre-graduate course load have been analyzed in depth in other threads, and it seems he can have a 2019 graduation in time (to play) if Miami (Medical?) School accepts it all. He probably expects "yes" which is why Brevin might say what he says.

Likely no way Diaz can speak for the graduate administration, other than to try hard for fast answers. Has to be **** for Hurts, who seems to want to play here if he has the starting role wrapped up. Beating Jarren is one thing, but Martell?

Probably Hurts will wait a few days to see if Martell's academic future (and eligibility) can be established with more certainty. I almost wish Martell will be told "no" for 2019 just so Hurts may pick here.

This is correct.

Do you think the staff was just like... "yeah just swing by for fall practice and you'll have a great shot to start for the ONE year you're eligible?"

Just doesn't make sense.
He’s eligible for more than 1 year. Just sayin.
And he ain’t goin pro at 5’11 and 1 year of film in the books.

Advertisement
Back